GGR 22

Frank Holden

Visit site
I admit I am more interested in Simon's adventures than people just sailing around Cape Horn - although I must admit I will be interested to see how people deal with Isla de los Estados and how the tail enders cope with Drake Passage at and after the equinox.

I don't know how Simon coped with his Mission Control chat the other day ( the 13th) but I found it near incomprehensible and I know the area.

Isla Guamblin has three anchorages marked on the chart ( what I have posted below is as good as the cartography gets on any 'platform').
All three are wide open to the weather while the name of the southernmost one is quite literally 'Breakers Cove/Caleta Rompientes'.
Mission Control does seem to be just going by the anchor symbols they see on the charts with no consideration for suitability for yachts.

Since Simon arrived at Puerto Low I've looked at that on GE and Applemaps and it actually looks quite a good small craft anchorage. I'll be interested in hearing what Simon thinks of it.

Attachments

• Guamblinocpn.jpg
    Guamblinocpn.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 9
  • Guamblinsat.jpg
    Guamblinsat.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 10

zoidberg

Visit site
Hmmm. According to that chartlet, there's a rock right where Simon seems to have anchored.
'Who's gonna tell him?'

Meanwhile, the lady Kirsten looks set to round Cape Horn - by my arithmetic - around 2000UTC Wed 15 February ( circa 1700hrs local time ) provided she doesn't bump into any of the islets ahead of her. Still, a sighting would clarify her DR and likely prove most welcome. I just hope the viz. has cleared by then....

Last edited:

Frank Holden

Visit site
If he's waiting for favourable winds, I think he's got a long wait.

He's going to have to go for it at some point. Use the southerly wind to get well offshore, then head south?
Agreed, towards the end of the week take advantage of the southerlies and lay a long board to the west/ westnorthwest - get well offshore and start again

zoidberg

Visit site
Kirsten has about 3 hours to go to pass clear of a dangerous outlier group of islets, and has altered ESE to ensure a safe offing. Good nav'ing!

That'll relate to when she last got a reliable LOP for Latitude, and a corresponding LOP for Longitude, to support/update her DR plot.

Edit1220: Looks as though she's passing about 5nm south of the islets. I wonder if she'll get a Distance Off.....
I'd expect a 'hanging a left' shortly.

Last edited:

jlavery

Visit site
Now it looks like Abhilash has Wind Pilot failure.

"ENTRANT UPDATE : @abhilashtomy_bayanat_ggr , called #ggr2022 at 0852UTC on Feb 15th, that he experienced a problem with his Wind Pilot self-steering gear. He had already used up all of his spare parts for this device in previous failures. At the time of the call, he had secured the tiller and was considering his options.
Earlier, the race organizers had given him his location and a forecast for the weather, which indicated that he was sailing in a dangerous area with strong winds expected over the next day.

Abhilash has said that he does not need any help and can manage the situation. The race organizers will provide updates as more information becomes available."

Frank Holden

Visit site
The wind should be falling light and then going northwest within about 24 hours.
In the meantime a chartlet of the shore currently about 20 miles under his lee. You can get into Magallanes via Bahia Otway and Canal Abra here, not that I imagine that is part of his plan.

Attachments

• Otway.jpg
    Otway.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 9

Frank Holden

Visit site
Probably into Paso Wakefield and the Grafton Islands for a run ashore.

My 'South American Pilot Vol II, 1929 Ed' says this-
Grafton Islands - several sheltered inlets - best and easiest of access is Euston Bay. Northward of these islands lies Wakefield Passage , made use of sometimes by sealing vessels and presenting no difficulty.

Anchorages mentioned are Isla Isabel , Puerto Bolivar in the Islas John , Hope Harbour on James Island, and Euston mentioned above
2300Z position top left. 'Milky Way' - think Slocum - bottom right.

Attachments

• Wakefield.jpg
    Wakefield.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 7

sailoppopotamus

Visit site
At 1900, Abhilash called to say he has made a new servo rudder from his spare rudder and hopes it holds for a few days at least and will continue on, but is NOT making course at the moment in the strong winds. He has been given his position and latest weather. He had hit his head, but all ok and requires nothing. He just met an Indian ship who also give him his position. He plans to tack when the wind drops soon. Kirsten will round Cape Horn in the next hour and all looks good for her.

It looks like he's not stopping though, no? Live tracker shows him doing 0.5knots, so it looks like he's hove to. It's a lee shore but wind will ease over the next few hours.

It's interesting how these windvanes just keep breaking. And they're not hacked together DIY windvanes -- these are designs specifically vetted for this race, that have been around for many years with millions of miles logged. I'm also sure these skippers have gone over their hardware with a fine tooth comb prior to departure and carry a silly amount of spares with them.

zoidberg

Visit site
Dos horns translates to 'two ovens'.
I CAN manage 'dos cervezas'...... :cool:

It DOES appear that Abhilash has hove to for the night..... I hope he's getting some zzzzeds. The breeze is expected ( by Windy.ty ) to switch to NW'ly in the night, so like as not he'll be pointed the right way. The changed motion should wake him up....

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
At 2000UTC Kirsten's kit reports her well clear of Staten Island and heading NE towards the Falkland Islands, with a decent breeze on her s'board quarter.

Abhilash is heading south, also with a fair breeze on HIS starboard quarter - but on the western side of Tierro del Fuego. He now seems to have a decent offing and is again pointing in 'the right direction'.

No apparent movement from Simon, still anchored in his barren cove awaiting a slant of wind.

zoidberg

Visit site
Looks like Simon is on the move..... but stemming the tide/having difficulty making way against big, towering seas?

Frank Holden

Visit site
Dunno about the big towering seas. Windy suggests 1.5 metre SW swell, 2 metre sea.

Servimet forecast

FORECAST ZONES ONE TO EIGHT VALID 171100/172300 UTC.

3.-FORECAST:

ZONE SIX (P.MONTT TO F.SAN PEDRO):
CLEAR VARYING TO OVERCAST, VIS 10/8 KM ISOLATED SHOWERS, WIND S/SW 10/20 KT SHIFTING SOUTH OF AREA TO SW/W 10/15 KT, SEA STATE MODERATE (1.5/2.0 M) SWELL FROM SOUTHWEST IN OCEANIC AREA OPEN TO SOUTHWEST.

4.-WEATHER OUTLOOK VALID 172300/182300 UTC.

ZONE SIX (P.MONTT TO F.SAN PEDRO):
ANTICYCLONIC EDGE WITH LIGHT INSTABILITY SOUTH OF AREA, WIND S/SW 10/15 KT OCCASIONAL 20 KT.

Faro San Pedro is at the Southern side of Golfo de Penas.