Getting fit for offshore racing?

MissFitz

Visit site
As previously mentioned here, I've signed up for a double-handed offshore campaign this year (including Round Ireland). I've definitely suffered in the past when racing offshore from being insufficiently fit, so am determined this time to prepare properly.

What I'm not clear on is exactly what I need to do. At the moment I'm exercising 6-7 times a week, mostly running (up to 12-13k) & circuits, plus some cycling (on non gale force days). I'm fairly strong in the core but weaker in the arms & shoulders. I'm also quite slight & light (55kg) so can't move straight on to heavier weights (tried it, shoulder still recovering).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I be working more on cardio or on strength? For cardio, is it better to run/cycle longer or do more interval/tempo training? For strength, is circuits enough or do I need to do weights? And are there any particular exercises anyone would recommend?

Any thoughts on this very much appreciated - & also any suggestions about where to get more information (Google so far has not proved very fruitful).

drakes drum

Visit site
TBH I wouldnt see cardio as being much benefit offshore. Its different racing round the cans with lots of manoeuvres but offshore you might well be on one tack / gybe for some time. I would have thought physical strength to be more important. When I talked to the guy at the gym about this, there was no particular piece of kit suitable for helping with winching so he suggested holding a medicine ball out at arms length and then moving it in a circle horizontally.

Boo2

Visit site
Why not buy a rower ? The cardio is great as non-impact and the focus on upper body strength is useful too. I have a Concept 2 for sale if you are interested...

Boo2

Keen_Ed

Visit site
I'd ask a professional.

The Artemis Offshore Academy rate cardio as being important for stamina. I'd see about one or two sessions with one of their fitness trainers to work out what needs addressing most.

http://www.artemisoffshoreacademy.com/training/view/coaches
http://www.artemisoffshoreacademy.com/training/view/Fitness

Frank Cammas finished 67th overall (out of 6500ish) in the 2011 Etape du Tour. Can't do that without some pretty serious cardio work (and talent).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20uiIbI9Csk

Last edited:

Ingwe

Visit site
I agree with the others concentrate on upper body but your looking for endurance more than cardio so things like the rowing machine or medium weight dumbbells are great, but don't go too fast - your aiming for lots of low reps to work the muscles as opposed to raising your heart rate too far. For helming using a tiller for long periods you need some form of grip exercise as well because its generally grip / fore arms that start to go first, I use a powerball for this but it will depend a bit on how big your hands are as to what would be best for you.

One very specific SF3200 thing I found after my first long stint helming upwind on mine was that I had cramp in my calf muscles and that they were getting quite tired as you end up "standing" on the side of the life raft locker which means your calf muscles end up being used as shock absorbers as you go over waves, so I have worked on increasing the length of my calf muscles using stretches and also exercise them by standing on the edge of a step and bouncing on your toes so that your heal drops bellow the edge of the step, this combined with changing to boots with more ankle support seams to have solved the problem.

awol

Visit site
Where's the fun if you are fit? Fine if sailing is your job but can you really not find some thing better to do than pose in a gym? 5-a-side, badminton, 10-pin bowling, even dinghy sailing, the list is endless and, to me, infinitely more enjoyable than pumping iron. For winch work I recommend hand polishing a hull and rubbing down anti-foul - I have the equipment for this if anyone needs the exercise and I'll charge you less than a gym!

Jim Schofield

liffeysailor.blogspot.ie
Having tried different training methods over the years, mainly for land-based endurance events, I now think raw physical strength is very necessary for all events. So may I recommend high intensity cardio with lots of heavy kettlebell work.
Kettlebells are always off balance, just like real life pulling and lifting and also develop great grip. Get a big bell and start swinging, lifting and even carrying it around !

Compared to old farmers I knew as a child, I am a weakling, even though I train 3/4 times a week. Being physically stronger will get you through the constant movement and strain of days of hard sailing.

Have fun,

Jim

lw395

Visit site
Core strength is good.
Anything else that helps you not get injured is good.
Anything that builds stamina is good.
No use being athletic-fit and injured.

A lot of the rest depends on the boat.
How much brute strength does it need and what for?
Some exercises that mimic the harder bits of sailing can be good.
For instance pulling weights on ropes at a variety of funny angles is more use than doing typical symmetrical gym stuff.
A tiller steered boat sailed hard down hill is often pushing and pulling at quite awkward angles, lots of twisting and movements that weightlifters would say are just plain wrong.
So you want to be tough and flexible as much as anything.

Cardio is good, but cycling, running, rowing are too leg-biased?

So I'd say loads of varied stuff.

MissFitz

Visit site
Thanks guys, loads of really great ideas here. Think the message is I need to get down the gym & start heaving some kettlebells (et al) around, plus put in some serious time on the rowing machine. (Would love to get one for home, Boo2, but sadly it would take up all available floor space, very tiny seafront flat.)

Will also keep working hard on the core & try to come up with some more sailing specific exercises - maybe lifting weights on a wobble board, pulling on theraband attached to the sofa leg, & doing squats/weights on shelving shingle on Brighton beach. Definitely think I need leg muscles as well as upper body, particularly for headsail changes and/or reefing in lumpy seas. Sounds as though strong & stretchy calf muscles are also a must for the SF3200 - many thanks Ingwe for the pro tip!

Other threads that may be of interest