Genuine CQR?

doug748

Visit site
How can I identify the genunine drop forged item? I am looking at a secondhand anchor which has: "CQR, Made in Scotland, Pat Pending" on the shank, is this the real grade A deal?
Has anyone any points, for and against, the design (25lb); which I intend to use as back up on a 32 ft boat. Thanks in anticipation

snowleopard

Visit site
old technology

if it says CQR it should be the real thing, imitations often use lower grade steel.

generally though, the cqr does not compare well on setting or holding with more modern designs.

the spade seems to come top in tests, followed by delta. personally i have a big fortress as an emergency reserve as it is light and dismantles for stowage.

dickh

Visit site
If it has "CQR" on the shank it's the real thing - very good anchors, paticularly in mud(East Coast).
As a backup anchor it would be OK, its the right size for a 32'. But the next size up might be better or a Fortress or teh new Spade which has excellent writeups but is expensive.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
It\'s genuine

Made sometime between my 35lb kedge ("pat.pending") and my 45lb bower ("Made in Scotland, pat no xxxxxxx")

You will gather that I think this is the best anchor!

I reckon you are OK with a 25 pounder on a 32 footer. My boat is a heavy 37 footer.

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Subject of many a thread hereabouts. Try as search on Anchor or on the username "Hylas". He designed a newfangled anchor about which he is very proud. It may even be the Spade referred to below.

Personnally, I have not had problems with my CQR provided I set it properly; (that can be a bugger in weed). I too carry a Fortress as my kedge.

A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2002