Genoa furling problem and tactics

xyachtdave

Visit site
Tried and checked most friction / load issues . Try to avoid being out in a 6 in our little boat but we can all get caught out . It's surprising how it can gust just when you don't want it to . Anyone ever used the downwind tactic as a norm ?
Yes the norm for us.

In anything above 12-15 knots its the best option on our boat. Below deck furling whilst allowing an extra bit of sail area creates a couple of 90 degree bends in the furling line. I've added every bit of Harken friction reducing greatness to it, an improvement but not perfect.

Add in the masthead rig and corresponding head sail size and we'd have an issue if we just let the sheet fly to windward and pull the furling line.

Quick bear away and then furl, all done in 10 seconds so not an issue.

Refueler

Visit site
I can't realistically slacken the halyard on my very old Rotostay before furling. It is the type where the wire halyard leads up to a swivel in the forestay and back down to the drum, where it is tensioned by a lanyard.

The best I can do is to slacken the backstay tensioner.

Despite this apparent drawback it furls easily in all conditions.

Thank you ... added to the Profurl as one that uses furling line to hoist sail.

As you say - the only way would be to slacken the tack to drum fastening ... not something I'm inclined to do ..... heaving foredeck on hands and knees ???

Refueler

Visit site
I personally believe you to be incorrect, but not worthy of a firing squad.

I know its veered away from OP's problem question ... but when manufacturers of Furling gear make it so luff is tensioned once on hoist .... then whats the point of posts trying to push me in direction of slacking luff ???

Then to crown it all ... if you do slack the luff ... then what happens when halyard wrap occurs ..... what you going to do then ??

I am not arguing against sail dynamics ... just the idea of doing it with a problem furler ....

Daydream believer

Visit site
Such examples are usually brand specific ... so not much use on this thread.
Not true. The furlers are no different to other running gear, engines, masts, winches etc. The manufacturer changes supplier as time passes & selects types to suit the vessel being constructed. They are not specifically made for Hanse & can be found on other mass production yachts. What it does show is that easing the halyard can apply equally to 30 ft yachts as it does much larger ones. Plus, across a range of products.
It should be pretty obvious to anyone that easing the axial load to the upper & lower swivelling bearings must reduce friction & assist furling. This becomes moreso as wear on the bearings sets in.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Then to crown it all ... if you do slack the luff ... then what happens when halyard wrap occurs ..... what you going to do then ??
Easy :rolleyes:
You say to yourself " Oh s..t I have let too much halyard off", so you unfurl the couple of turns. Which you can do very easily. Then you rectify the problem by taking up a bit of the slack, but not enough to make the halyard tight. Then you start again.
Quite easy & you normally know if you have a wrap if you have a knowledge of your boat. It is not rocket science.
It does not require a trip to the foredeck- something I try to avoid. Besides looking up makes me dizzy.
It happened to me last year, so this year I purchased a new Profurl 320C with adjustable internal bottlescrew inside. This replaced my Facnor Furler, which had a fixed length forestay. I have found that easing the halyard still makes furling easier. That is with a brand new furler. But in heavy weather I do tend to load up the halyard, as I have a laminate jib & I never sail with it furled .

Refueler

Visit site
Not true. The furlers are no different to other running gear, engines, masts, winches etc. The manufacturer changes supplier as time passes & selects types to suit the vessel being constructed. They are not specifically made for Hanse & can be found on other mass production yachts. What it does show is that easing the halyard can apply equally to 30 ft yachts as it does much larger ones. Plus, across a range of products.
It should be pretty obvious to anyone that easing the axial load to the upper & lower swivelling bearings must reduce friction & assist furling. This becomes moreso as wear on the bearings sets in.

When I say Brand specific - I am talking about Furler Brand ....

If you ease halyard on my SR25 Plastimo 608 ............. you'll be wishing you stayed at home .... no joke.

Refueler

Visit site
Easy :rolleyes:
You say to yourself " Oh s..t I have let too much halyard off", so you unfurl the couple of turns. Which you can do very easily. Then you rectify the problem by taking up a bit of the slack, but not enough to make the halyard tight. Then you start again.
Quite easy & you normally know if you have a wrap if you have a knowledge of your boat. It is not rocket science.
It does not require a trip to the foredeck- something I try to avoid. Besides looking up makes me dizzy.
It happened to me last year, so this year I purchased a new Profurl 320C with adjustable internal bottlescrew inside. This replaced my Facnor Furler, which had a fixed length forestay. I have found that easing the halyard still makes furling easier. That is with a brand new furler. But in heavy weather I do tend to load up the halyard, as I have a laminate jib & I never sail with it furled .

Not everyone has lines back to cockpit ....

Seems you are still intent on pushing this subject ... despite it not being applicable to various furlers out there as evidenced by my and anothers gear ... stated clearly.