Genoa furled, Halyard getting tangled up

AlexL

Visit site
Hi all.
back on the water after around 5 years . I’ve bought a new boat - a first 21.7 of 2005 vintage. All looks good, good sails, good kit , good condition . im getting it ready today and have a slight issue with the furler. Raising the jib in the Marina to get it on the boat and furler I had a number of attempts as when we furled it, rather than the halyard staying still and the furler, furling, the Halyard is wrapping round too and then it all gets jammed up. The bearings on the halyard bit at the top *seem* ok and seem free but obviously as soon as theres some tension they are jamming up. I managed to get it on eventually but I’m concerned that it may not furl away easily when out sailing .

any ideas short of taking the whole lot down and apart or replacing the furler mechanism?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
The head of the sail is a bit further away from the diverter (that's the staple on the mast that the halyard is led through) than it really ought to be. Simplest solution is to release the tack of the sail, hoist the sail up until the halyard makes a 45 degree angle with the forestay, and then use a lashing to tension the tack back down to the shackle on the roller drum. Alternatively, fit a strop between the head of the sail and the top swivel, again trying to get at least 45 degrees as described.

AlexL

Visit site
The head of the sail is a bit further away from the diverter (that's the staple on the mast that the halyard is led through) than it really ought to be. Simplest solution is to release the tack of the sail, hoist the sail up until the halyard makes a 45 degree angle with the forestay, and then use a lashing to tension the tack back down to the shackle on the roller drum. Alternatively, fit a strop between the head of the sail and the top swivel, again trying to get at least 45 degrees as described.
Thanks all.

there was a bit of string on the tack shackle - it was connected to the halyard shackle whilst there was no sail on, rather than just connecting the 2 shackles together - I thought that was probably just for storage to keep it all together , but maybe that’s what the previous owner used for the tack. I’ll give that a try and get the better angle at the top.

TSB240

Visit site
I had a sticky top wivel despite having a diverter. Releasing haliard tension prior to curling helps this and preserving sail shape for longer. I was also surprised how free the top bearing became after rinsing with very hot water. Don't be tempted to try and lubricate the plastic bearings.

kieron riley

Visit site
I had a sticky top wivel despite having a diverter. Releasing haliard tension prior to curling helps this and preserving sail shape for longer. I was also surprised how free the top bearing became after rinsing with very hot water. Don't be tempted to try and lubricate the plastic bearings.
If it has a cranked shackle at the top of the foil it may be on the wrong way around,this will cause t to wrap

Concerto

Visit site
I had a similar problem several years ago. The cause was the grease in the upper bearing had gone hard. You need to lower the sail and dismantle the top bearing. Be very careful as they are full of ball bearings, I worked over a large polythene sheet I taped in place to catch them. When reassembling the new grease should hold them in place, if not use shaving foam as it will wash out easily. You will probably need to do the bottom bearing as well to get it working smoothly.

Tintin

Visit site
I had a similar problem several years ago. The cause was the grease in the upper bearing had gone hard. You need to lower the sail and dismantle the top bearing. Be very careful as they are full of ball bearings, I worked over a large polythene sheet I taped in place to catch them. When reassembling the new grease should hold them in place, if not use shaving foam as it will wash out easily. You will probably need to do the bottom bearing as well to get it working smoothly.

Try the short strop at the tack first to increasethe halyard angle so the diverter does its job. You may need to experiment with different lengths so use a lashing until you get it right.

If that doesn't work get your bino's out and, while a friend furls it, stand back and watch what is going on.

Dismantling bearings should really be the last resort as I can guarantee you'll lose one or more balls.

jwilson

Visit site
If a 2005 Beneteau quite possibly a Facnor SD furler - bearings are supposedly sealed for life and non-replaceable. Maintenance is supposed to be wash out with fresh water. Add a short strop between either tack of sail and drum, or head of sail and swivel to get more angle between halyard sheave to swivel. If still wrapping spend a surprising amount with Facnor for a new swivel, or junk the whole system and get a better brand furler.

Some people claim to have replaced Facnor SD bearings, but I suspect you need serious workshop facilities to do it. Working riggers generally won't even try.

[159032]

Visit site
Dismantling bearings should really be the last resort as I can guarantee you'll lose one or more balls.

Best wear some tight underpants.

Dismantling stuff on board I have used the sort of plastic bucket that sheep lick comes in. (other buckets are available). If doing an outboard lash it tight up against the powerhead. For something like the top furler bearing, do it inside the bucket.
Nothing worse than dropping something you need in the drink. Or chasing bearings across the deck before they drop out of a drainage gap in the toe rail.