Generic GPS puck for Furuno plotter?

fredrussell

Visit site
Ages ago I bought an oldish Furuno radar/plotter that works well as a radar, but was sold without the active GPS antenna (GP320B). As the plotter came with a UK and mainland Europe chart card (albeit 10 years old) I would like to find a GPS puck for the pushpit to enable radar overlay on chart screen. The plotter will take gps data via NMEA 0183, but for the location I’m thinking of it’s going to be a whole lot easier just to run a cable to pushpit and mount a gps puck there.

There are numerous aftermarket/generic GPS antennas on eBay - do these need to be ‘matched’ to my model of plotter or is it just a question of choosing passive or active and (I assume) selecting an antenna with correct baud rate for plotter?

Last edited:

andsarkit

Visit site
It looks like the GP320B outputs NMEA 0183 Ver 2.30. Anything that outputs the same data stream will be fine. Your biggest problem will be sourcing a suitable connector.
Does the plotter also have a coaxial (TNC?) connector for an RF antenna as well as a GPS data stream antenna?

fredrussell

Visit site
It looks like the GP320B outputs NMEA 0183 Ver 2.30. Anything that outputs the same data stream will be fine. Your biggest problem will be sourcing a suitable connector.
Does the plotter also have a coaxial (TNC?) connector for an RF antenna as well as a GPS data stream antenna?
I’ll have to dig out the plotter to see if it has coaxial connector, but I don’t think it does. The gps socket is a 6 or 7 pin. I actually have the connector so that sounds positive - thanks for the reply, I’ll see what I can find.