Generator ground

Refueler

Visit site
It takes a troll to know a troll and insulting too which is against the forum rules

you have only been a member since 2016 where billskip is 2001 as I am and before

mmmm just for the record ... my original 'membership' goes way back to the very early days of YBW starting forums ... it only shows the later date from my re-instatement after a disgusting episode that had me banned for defending myself against one of the worst insulting comments ever seen on these forums.

RogerJolly

Visit site
So you might feel you can accidentally brush the brown wire, but you won't get a shock as there won't be a complete circuit without simultaneously brushing the blue wire.

Then you're told the idiots making the lecky have connected their blue wire to the ground, making the whole earth a terminal, and as you're stood on it you WILL get a shock just from the brown wire. Huh!

Refueler

Visit site
Why do Volvo Penta go to great lengths to isolate their engines from earth?

I can add to that ... when I had my engine bearers replaced with my Perkins 4-99 - the engineer disconnected grounding cables that guy who fitted out the boat originally had installed ...
Guy showed me that in fact the installation was totally unnecessary and in fact created a problem rather than solving one. When the engine was replaced with the 4-107 ... all grounding wires were left disconnected for same reason.

My prop ... shaft ... fittings have shown no signs of any effects in over 20yrs since. In fact as he said - I could forget about the anodes as well !! They were depleting BECAUSE of the grounding wires !!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
How old are you ?

None of your business but old enough to have much more technical knowledge qualifications and experience that you clearly have

Sone people that think 50 years' experience is 50years experiencing the same year over again
I have several different careers in different fields all in the Engineering and high-tech fields and developing products that are better than the previous products hence people coming to me for my improved products.

Retired now on the income and investments I worked for so don't have to or wish to work to earn money just fiddling with my boats and classic cars mainly British sports cars like Jag, Lotus. Triumph, original Hot mini and a classic Nissan sports car.

My day car is a Toyota 4x4 and wife's car is a 3 door Honda. So, I have plenty to fill my time and growing up in Birmingham the center of the midlands motor industry I used to tune and use my cars in various motor Comparisions locally.

There used to be a web site for my last company Clearing Support Services (TVL) but is not there anymore as I closed my company down in 2011 to retire and fiddling with my boats and cars

When I was fitting out my current boat between 2005 and launch in 2009I did take a lot of pictures and posted then on the web in no particular order

Roger Shaw

Yes I know you do electrically work on boats, but I have done and can still do mechanical, electrically electronics and both application computer and imbedded micro processed software in various languages and processer assembler.

Whet South Africa could not import specialized equipment I would design and build replacement for use locally, cannot talk too much about that

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I can add to that ... when I had my engine bearers replaced with my Perkins 4-99 - the engineer disconnected grounding cables that guy who fitted out the boat originally had installed ...
Guy showed me that in fact the installation was totally unnecessary and in fact created a problem rather than solving one. When the engine was replaced with the 4-107 ... all grounding wires were left disconnected for same reason.

My prop ... shaft ... fittings have shown no signs of any effects in over 20yrs since. In fact as he said - I could forget about the anodes as well !! They were depleting BECAUSE of the grounding wires !!

That isolated engine setup is the way I did it for the very same reasons.

my prop is connected to the gearbox with a rubber flexible coupling, so the prop and shaft is isolated from the engine.

The one issue I did have and had to correct is the engine control cables throttle and gearbox I had to build insulated mounted to prevent unnecessary dc neutral connections.

I made a propeller myself from 316 stainless steel, so I did not need any anodes on the prop shaft only anodes welded to the steel hull that after 15 years have shown little eroding at last pullout 2 years ago

rogerthebodger

Visit site
So you might feel you can accidentally brush the brown wire, but you won't get a shock as there won't be a complete circuit without simultaneously brushing the blue wire.

Then you're told the idiots making the lecky have connected their blue wire to the ground, making the whole earth a terminal, and as you're stood on it you WILL get a shock just from the brown wire. Huh!

That id a situation that on a GRP boat would not happen and the connection of the blue wire to the earth terminal. Where is the earth terminal on a GRP boat. there is not one unless some idiot creates one and connects the blue wire to the created earth point.

This is in effect my point that there is very little possibility to get a electric shock in a correctly installed isolated mains system with a wired earthing wiring circuit and a correctly RCD that will detect and line to earthing wire fault.

This is ONLY for an onboard main power generating system.

Where the mains onboard power comes from a land-based system an alternative path to the generator neutral/ ground connection is recommended as the wired alternate path is very desirable as well as the wired earth return that should return any leakage current back to the land substation /generator.

This is to ensure that the RCD will trip even if the earth within your shore power plus has fallen out thus not providing the primary leakage current return path and this leakage current will flow vis the alternative path through the ground/ water

IMHO to add a connection from the onboard generator to the water on a GRP boat will not add and further safety and there is no alternate path from the appliances to the water as the appliances and persons on board are in effect isolated from the sea water.

I can remember about 50 years ago I was asked to design a control hanging pushbutton control for an electric chain hoist.

It was all plastic polypropene with no external screws so no external metal to conduct any electracy to the user by the Chief Electrical Engineer insisted on an earthing point for earth wire, so I added a self-tapping screw that screwed into the plastic case with no other connection.