General Discussion thread - volunteer or post your ideas and comments here please

fireball

Visit site
I received a very welcome letter from the NHS today showing my MRI results are normal across the board which made me fall off my chair to be honest as I was expecting at least some heart damage. Couple that with normal angiogram, ultrasound scan and blood test results, I'm more than pleased to report that I have fully recovered and am 100% fit for this one!!! bring it on :encouragement:

those in the know that I have spoken to suspect downing a good dose of aspirin at the onset of pain saved the day but I suspect we'll never know.. who cares eh, I'm back in the chair (saddle) and ready to enjoy the ride with the rest of you :)

Excellent :)

6th June will be touch and go for me - but if I can make it I will :)

fireball

Visit site
impressive! This sounds all very pro to me. I will be doing mainly a 20 mile ride most weekends, then doubling up nearer the ride. Unfortunately that is all I will have time to do.
Ah - the Pro's do it properly ... not like me at all :)

20 miles most weekends is good - base mileage, especially over winter is sensible. It gets much harder when the temperatures drop and many riders then go to static trainers (turbo or rollers) - which I find mind numbingly boring ... however, the alternative is to go offroad - as long as you're doing CV work then it'll be of benefit.

If you don't have time to do much on the bike training then look at changing your daily activities - if possible! eg - don't get the lift, walk up the stairs. At home you can always do a run up and down the stairs a few times each morning/evening. Basically you're looking to elevate your heart rate for 20mins+

Caveat - these are suggestions for those with a healthy heart - if you don't, or feel pain* then you should stop and check with your GP.

* it's quite normal for me to feel pain in my heart during TTs or when I'm pushing myself to the limit - the key is to learn how hard you can push. The heart is just another muscle that can be trained for harder work.

Oh - last thing - lots of novice cyclists will pedal really slowly (40-50rpm) - this isn't good for longer rides as you'll tire your leg muscles quickly - if you're a slow pedaller then you can use your training to up that cadence to 70-80rpm or higher - although it's probably advisable to use clipless pedals or cages on your normal pedals so your feet don't slip off (ouch!). The higher RPM means your legs do less work each revolution and are able to sustain that pace for longer - the flipside is that the load is transferred to your heart/lungs (well that's my take on it) :)

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

20 miles most weekends is good - base mileage, especially over winter is sensible. It gets much harder when the temperatures drop and many riders then go to static trainers (turbo or rollers) - which I find mind numbingly boring ... however, the alternative is to go offroad - as long as you're doing CV work then it'll be of benefit.

If you don't have time to do much on the bike training then look at changing your daily activities - if possible! eg - don't get the lift, walk up the stairs. At home you can always do a run up and down the stairs a few times each morning/evening. Basically you're looking to elevate your heart rate for 20mins+

Caveat - these are suggestions for those with a healthy heart - if you don't, or feel pain* then you should stop and check with your GP.

* it's quite normal for me to feel pain in my heart during TTs or when I'm pushing myself to the limit - the key is to learn how hard you can push. The heart is just another muscle that can be trained for harder work.

Oh - last thing - lots of novice cyclists will pedal really slowly (40-50rpm) - this isn't good for longer rides as you'll tire your leg muscles quickly - if you're a slow pedaller then you can use your training to up that cadence to 70-80rpm or higher - although it's probably advisable to use clipless pedals or cages on your normal pedals so your feet don't slip off (ouch!). The higher RPM means your legs do less work each revolution and are able to sustain that pace for longer - the flipside is that the load is transferred to your heart/lungs (well that's my take on it) :)
Spot on.... but ideal cadence is even higher than that... 90 is recommended for average cyclists, with the pros popping over the 100 mark.... it will feel unnatural to start with, but soon it becomes second nature.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I've seen people pedalling like that and it never looks right.

They worked all the night in the pale yellow light,
Old Abdul he revved like a car,
But he couldn't compete with the slow steady beat,
Of Ivan Skavinsky Scavar.

:eek:

rafiki_

Visit site

Finding the time during the week is the challenge, and travelling regularly doesn't help either. CV is not going to be a problem, but getting sufficient miles on my legs and backside is the necessity, so will start at the Christmas break.

z1ppy

Visit site
The team is growing!

I have just created and assigned my just giving page to the event. whatever happens now Gary you wont be billy no mates on the ride!

Justgiving is very easy to set up, need to create a page first them associate it with the team. make sure you select British Heart Foundation as your charity when creating the page and you need to select "your doing your own thing".

If you need any guidance please shout and we can work through it.

I saw a tweet from MDL this morning and great that the YBW News story is out there.

Plenty going on behind the scenes at the moment and amazing generosity from everyone here! Would be fantastic to see lots of people at the beer and natter in the evening if you are unable / not willing to join us in the ride.

better thing about some training now! apparently wheeling my office chair from my desk to the copier doesnt count as cardio work...