General Discussion thread - volunteer or post your ideas and comments here please

oGaryo

Visit site
This thread is to keep the likes of the Summary Information thread clutter free. Please post here if you would like to get involved as either a rider or a supporter of the event, the more the merrier. Just pop your forum name and first name down and I'll add you to the list within the Summary Information thread. :encouragement:

Please also use this thread to post your comments, ideas or just to encourage those taking part whether they be riders or supporters.

Other threads within the section will be used for dedicated discussion on a particular topic e.g. input for the design of the T Shirts, Banners and Posters

cheers Gary

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
A thought

This is slightly random, but I offer it up for what it's worth.

I can't zoom in on the proposed route map that you've posted but I am guessing that the route runs within about 300 yards from my front door, in Winchester. Are there any other Forumites in a similar position and would it be an idea to have a database of possible rest or help stops along the route for emergencies, breakdowns or retirees - or even a nice cup of tea?

I would have to speak to Management before volunteering our place as a venue and, as it's only about 10 miles or so from the finish line, it might not be much use, but it's a thought maybe?

rafiki_

Visit site
Having ridden a few rides of this distance, unless you are a regular rider, the last 10 miles are usually the hardest, so a quick stop and refuel at -10 sounds a really good idea.

oGaryo

Visit site
This is slightly random, but I offer it up for what it's worth.

I can't zoom in on the proposed route map that you've posted but I am guessing that the route runs within about 300 yards from my front door, in Winchester. Are there any other Forumites in a similar position and would it be an idea to have a database of possible rest or help stops along the route for emergencies, breakdowns or retirees - or even a nice cup of tea?

I would have to speak to Management before volunteering our place as a venue and, as it's only about 10 miles or so from the finish line, it might not be much use, but it's a thought maybe?

That's very generous of you and as Paul says, something that is a great idea in general as we're already thinking about the approach of everyone gathering at the final stop and then pushing for the finish line as one.. will make for a great photo at the finish line if nothing else. The route as yet is very fluid and may take a different turn once I've driven it but again, your offer certainly gives us options if it pans out it goes via your neck of the woods (subject to t'management approval of course)

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Training!

Any advice for getting an unfit 55 year-old ready for this event.
Fairly regular cyclist and currently happy with 10 to 20 mile trips at a leisurely pace.

rafiki_

Visit site
Training!

Fairly regular cyclist and currently happy with 10 to 20 mile trips at a leisurely pace.
You are doing all the right things. You could up the distance to 40 odd miles for 2 or 3 weekend riders before the big day. With 2 or 3 rest stops you will be fine. You need to get your backside used the the time in th saddle. You will need proper cycling shoes, as trainers have can too much give, and feet can get bruised.

fireball

Visit site
Training!

example of 2 things you can do - mix and match!

a) add 5 miles to your route each week - you'll soon be doing 40-50 miles in one ride - the leap from 50 to 70 is simple.
b) short rides at higher intensity - your long rides should be done mostly whilst being able to hold a conversation - the higher intensity ones should be where you're able to get a word or two out at a time. You need to warm up first though! You could also do interval training, but TBH, unless you're doing it on a stationary bike it's a bit of a PITA. You do have to be more careful with this one too - don't push it so hard that you cause yourself damage! If you're generally fit & healthy this one should be fine.

I'm just doing miles at the moment - last few miles to reach my target for the year and then I'll start on turbo training for next seasons TTs - but still with the club rides to get the distances in.

rafiki_

Visit site
example of 2 things you can do - mix and match!

a) add 5 miles to your route each week - you'll soon be doing 40-50 miles in one ride - the leap from 50 to 70 is simple.
b) short rides at higher intensity - your long rides should be done mostly whilst being able to hold a conversation - the higher intensity ones should be where you're able to get a word or two out at a time. You need to warm up first though! You could also do interval training, but TBH, unless you're doing it on a stationary bike it's a bit of a PITA. You do have to be more careful with this one too - don't push it so hard that you cause yourself damage! If you're generally fit & healthy this one should be fine.

I'm just doing miles at the moment - last few miles to reach my target for the year and then I'll start on turbo training for next seasons TTs - but still with the club rides to get the distances in.
impressive! This sounds all very pro to me. I will be doing mainly a 20 mile ride most weekends, then doubling up nearer the ride. Unfortunately that is all I will have time to do.

oGaryo

Visit site
I received a very welcome letter from the NHS today showing my MRI results are normal across the board which made me fall off my chair to be honest as I was expecting at least some heart damage. Couple that with normal angiogram, ultrasound scan and blood test results, I'm more than pleased to report that I have fully recovered and am 100% fit for this one!!! bring it on :encouragement:

those in the know that I have spoken to suspect downing a good dose of aspirin at the onset of pain saved the day but I suspect we'll never know.. who cares eh, I'm back in the chair (saddle) and ready to enjoy the ride with the rest of you :)

rafiki_

Visit site
I received a very welcome letter from the NHS today showing my MRI results are normal across the board which made me fall off my chair to be honest as I was expecting at least some heart damage. Couple that with normal angiogram, ultrasound scan and blood test results, I'm more than pleased to report that I have fully recovered and am 100% fit for this one!!! bring it on :encouragement:

those in the know that I have spoken to suspect downing a good dose of aspirin at the onset of pain saved the day but I suspect we'll never know.. who cares eh, I'm back in the chair (saddle) and ready to enjoy the ride with the rest of you :)
Fantastic news Gary, and a huge relief to you and yours. I will start training during the Christmas break, and we'll need to find a pub halfway between Stratford and Bletchley for a regular meet up on the training rides. Hope to catch up with you in the next couple of weeks.