Gel plane rental in the uk ???

Restoration man

Visit site
Ok I’ve already asked this on the motorboats forum but not one reply that I was surprised by so I thought it was worth an ask on this site instead????

Does anyone know of a place that will rent you a gel plane in the uk ?? They are stupid expensive I could buy one and sell it back on after use, but I would prefer if possible to rent one , anyone done this ? Or if not possible my other option was to buy one and rent it out when I’ve finished with it ??? Anyone think there might be a market for gel plane rentals??? I know I can get people to do it for you but I like the hands on approach,
Thanks Nick

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Could a hand TC wood plainer be used to plain off the gel coat to the required depth

My festool well plain 3 mm thickness at a pass

Restoration man

Visit site
Thanks guys I’ve had a look at The one for sale but I was really after a proper gel plane , also I don’t think wood plane would work in my hull either

Elessar

Visit site
Ok I’ve already asked this on the motorboats forum but not one reply that I was surprised by so I thought it was worth an ask on this site instead????

Does anyone know of a place that will rent you a gel plane in the uk ?? They are stupid expensive I could buy one and sell it back on after use, but I would prefer if possible to rent one , anyone done this ? Or if not possible my other option was to buy one and rent it out when I’ve finished with it ??? Anyone think there might be a market for gel plane rentals??? I know I can get people to do it for you but I like the hands on approach,
Thanks Nick
You must get a proper one. They are only an electric wood plane but with a bespoke front end/depth guide.

The rotating barrel is exposed at the front. Then there are two guides, one deeper than the other.

The one sits on the gelcoat and the other sits on the planed surface. You plane off in stripes half the width of the rotating barrel.

It’s exhausting. You have to keep the plane at 90 degrees to the boat and push it hard onto the boat or your cut depth will vary.

Getting the guide right so that you cut off an even stripe not one slightly deeper on one side is hard too.

And the gel bits get everywhere. Ears, nose, down your pants, up your bum, everywhere. You’ll itch for weeks.

It’s a job I’d pay a pro to do and they can come along with loads of experience and an airfed mast and the sort of suit asbestos removal guys wear.

And anyway if it’s osmosis you need to blast it after you’ve planed it. The plane seals the surface and you need to open it up again.

So I’d pay someone to do it if I were you.

Restoration man

Visit site
You must get a proper one. They are only an electric wood plane but with a bespoke front end/depth guide.

The rotating barrel is exposed at the front. Then there are two guides, one deeper than the other.

The one sits on the gelcoat and the other sits on the planed surface. You plane off in stripes half the width of the rotating barrel.

It’s exhausting. You have to keep the plane at 90 degrees to the boat and push it hard onto the boat or your cut depth will vary.

Getting the guide right so that you cut off an even stripe not one slightly deeper on one side is hard too.

And the gel bits get everywhere. Ears, nose, down your pants, up your bum, everywhere. You’ll itch for weeks.

It’s a job I’d pay a pro to do and they can come along with loads of experience and an airfed mast and the sort of suit asbestos removal guys wear.

And anyway if it’s osmosis you need to blast it after you’ve planed it. The plane seals the surface and you need to open it up again.

So I’d pay someone to do it if I were you.
When you were in the trade do you remember what type of blasting media to use after planing? I’ve heard some say to use jblast and some say to use glass , and some say to blast it dry and some say blast wet ? Thanks

Elessar

Visit site
I used glass but I don’t think it matters. It’s just taking the glaze off caused by the plane. It’s a light blast.
Wet good and you dry a boat after this by jet washing often so it saves one of those. Dry ok though.

Last edited: