Gas or spirit stove?

cameronke

Visit site
I intent to replace my old gas stove and have the option of either a spirit stove or another gas stove. What would be the merits and shortcomings of each type? I haven't had any experience of spirit stoves.

Regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

jleaworthy

Visit site
I have replaced a spirit stove with gas. Spirit stoves use methylated spirits which is not always easily obtainable. It is usually purchased only in small quantities ( I think to prevent meths abuse!) and is very expensive. I don't think spirit stoves usually have a grill so making toast can be difficult.

Gas is very convenient - that's why 90% of yachts use it - reasonably priced and widely available. Providing you keep your gas system in good order, fit a bubble tester and use it every time you turn the gas on at the bottle I believe you have little to worry about. Personally I am probably over cautious as I remember only too well the sight of a RN Morgan Giles yacht which had to be towed back from Guernsey having been instantly converted into the biggest open boat in the West Country.

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
I'd go for gas.
The disadvantages of gass in the hull are, IMO, outweighed by the improved speed of boil and the fact that you can see the flame in bright conditions.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
There is at least one other, earlier thread on this.
I have found spirit suits me and that the risk of having gas on board, when I moved to diesel from petrol for safety reasons, makes it all a nonsense.
Meths is available in larger quantities and is much more easily stored.
I have used one for years - but my cooking is modest. I don't find it slow - but what does one do with all the time one saves using gas ? Compass are doing the Origo @ £135 at the moment - a big saving.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Agree about the Origo. Boils a kettle of water no slower than gas IMHO... If you get to a France you can buy stove alcohol - meths withou the smelly pink stuff for about 80p a litre.

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"

Parsonsheath

Visit site
Like kds I think diesel and spirit go together.

On changing I did not want petrol, usual reasons, (having switched to a diesel car years ago) saw diesel as more reliable,economical, but principally safer, and with the cost of insurance I really feel this is something insurers will use to push premiums.

On gas I do have an interest to declare, my partner has no sense of smell, so for us gas is a liability, but again we can all see the regs tightening on gas cookers, and again it is an insurance angle.

I have stripped out the gas heater and cooker, and gone for a refurbished Taylors which I hope will do both. I agree this is something we need get used to, but we want something to last and I don't see insurers failing to remind us of the need for safety, then pushing premiums.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ric

Visit site
I've seen on some Bavarias in Germany combined electric/meths stoves. On shore power you cook electric. May be a good option if you spend a lot of time on shore power.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ric

Visit site
I've seen on some Bavarias in Germany combined electric/meths stoves. On shore power you cook electric. May be a good option if you spend a lot of time on shore power.

<hr width=100% size=1>