Fuel filter bowl too deep?

jsl

Visit site
On our engine we have a CAV type filter with aluminium bowl and off-centre drain plug. The bowl is big and more or less rests on the gear shift cable which passes beneath it. This makes getting it off to change the filter a real bore. Could I just swap it for a shallower bowl? Or is there some arcane reason for the present arrangement? I realise that I would also need a shorter through-bolt (or whatever it is called). And presumably a glass bowl would be a bad idea.

Quandary

Visit site
On our engine we have a CAV type filter with aluminium bowl and off-centre drain plug. The bowl is big and more or less rests on the gear shift cable which passes beneath it. This makes getting it off to change the filter a real bore. Could I just swap it for a shallower bowl? Or is there some arcane reason for the present arrangement? I realise that I would also need a shorter through-bolt (or whatever it is called). And presumably a glass bowl would be a bad idea.

I like the glass bowl, shine a bit of light on it and you can see any water in there, unfortunately because my primary filter is in the engine compartment the Boat Safety Regs. that I must comply with on the canal do not permit it, they made me change the nylon drain plug to metal too.
I agree that a shallow bowl should cope with any crud that gets that far.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've replaced mine this winter to something that is in a position that is easy to change and to a top filter loader so I can change it easily. Why the old filter way positioned where it was, behind the engine and under a bunk, is anybody's guess.

neil_s

Visit site
Try SSL Diesel parts - a quick look at their site shows one deep and one shallow alloy bowl in the CAV filter parts range.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
A couple of years ago I replaced my cav filter with a 'screw-on filter' making filter changing a doddle - the CAV was always a PITA...
Got from SSLdiesel spares - a direct replacement.

Trundlebug

Visit site
I changed mine over to shallower bowls a few years ago.
It's been a big improvement. Much easier to change the filters, so no real need to switch to spin on types, and also much less fuel wasted when changing filters. Quicker to bleed too, so it's a winner all round.
If you have your fuel quality generally under control there's no real benefit in having the deeper bowls to catch water.

jsl

Visit site
OK. Thanks everyone. I've seen the SSL site, which indeed looks as if it has the right bit(s) of kit. I had not thought that bleeding might become quicker, too: that has also been quite difficult on occasion, so I can hope for a bonus...

Heckler

Visit site
If the filter's plumbed correctly, the bowl only contains filtered fuel, so there shouldn't be any crud in it.

Wrong, thats why there is a drain plug in there, to drain any water out, also why they fit glass bowls on some, to check for water and crud.
Stu

pvb

Visit site
Wrong, thats why there is a drain plug in there, to drain any water out, also why they fit glass bowls on some, to check for water and crud.
Stu

It's not wrong, there shouldn't be any crud in the bowl as the fuel there has already been filtered. I didn't mention water, which should end up in the bowl having passed through the filter.

Heckler

Visit site
It's not wrong, there shouldn't be any crud in the bowl as the fuel there has already been filtered. I didn't mention water, which should end up in the bowl having passed through the filter.
Im talking about water too, however, those of us in the real world know that the water reacts with the ali and any bugs present to produce a jelly like substance which sticks to the metal bowl. Some are glass, some are ali, some are a zinc based alloy. CRUD!
Stu

Heckler

Visit site
If the filter's plumbed correctly, the bowl only contains filtered fuel, so there shouldn't be any crud in it.

only contains filtered fuel? Hmm then why try to correct me and admit it contains water too? :)

Stu

pvb

Visit site
only contains filtered fuel? Hmm then why try to correct me and admit it contains water too? :)

Stu

I thought you were supposedly knowledgeable on diesel matters. Minute droplets of water contained in the fuel pass through the filter medium and gather together into larger droplets which are heavy enough to settle out in the bottom of the bowl - this is a process known as "agglomeration".

<152587>

Visit site
I thought you were supposedly knowledgeable on diesel matters. Minute droplets of water contained in the fuel pass through the filter medium and gather together into larger droplets which are heavy enough to settle out in the bottom of the bowl - this is a process known as "agglomeration".

Did you not publish a CAV document on this very subject some time ago?

VicS

Visit site

OK. Thanks everyone. I've seen the SSL site, which indeed looks as if it has the right bit(s) of kit. I had not thought that bleeding might become quicker, too: that has also been quite difficult on occasion, so I can hope for a bonus...

You might find In-Line Filters a useful source of filters

https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/

lw395

Visit site
I've seen a few fuel tanks with enough water in them to risk filling the small bowl.
OTOH, some boats the water never gets to the bowl.
I think I'd prefer to move things to make space for the glass bowl.
Or fit anther filter downstream with a water trap and alarm sensor. Some cars have them.