From Normandie to Ireland

Nessy

Visit site
Dear All!

First of alll please excuse my bad english!

We are a German Couple in retirement. Our Motoboat Beneteau Antares 9,80 is lying in Barneville-Careret/Normandie, in opposite of the Channel Islands.

After travelling to the Isles of Scilly in 2022 and visiting Guggenheim-Mueum in Bilbao last year, we plan to go „for a Guinness to Dublin“ this year.

I‘ ve been reading MBY, PBO and Classic Boats for years and also followed the YBM Forum and I love the British yachting culture very much.

In my oppinion the forum is one of the best I ever read and I got member some days before.

I hope you can give me a little support for planning our this year trip.

My first question is if anybody knows if we can get the blue CampinGaz-bottles our Beneteau is equipped with, round the Irish Sea und possibly in Scotland?

Another question is if somebody can give me an information to plan the Menai-Street Passage which is said to be bery treacherous.

I‘ m sure some more questions will come up and I say many thanks in advance for your support!

If we can give some advice for Brittany and the French Atlantic coast until Laredo Northspain d‘ont hesitate to ask!

Cordially! Stefan + Regine

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 6cb1958c-cffe-436d-b6f6-b983566cf9ad.jpeg
    6cb1958c-cffe-436d-b6f6-b983566cf9ad.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    790.2 KB · Views: 45

Momac

Visit site
Campingaz refills are expensive in the UK and not always easily available.
I believe my last 907 refill was approximately £40.

dunedin

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Perhaps with considering joining the Cruising Association - www.theca.org.uk. They have a lot of information about cruising this route, including information on the CAptians Mate app covering most of the harbours and anchorages. Also their Celtic section includes lots of information about the Menai Straits - they had a webinar on this last month.

In terms of Camping Gas cylinders, yes they can be quite expensive, but they are the most widely available gas cylinder at UK marinas, including Scotland (we use them).

Have a good trip

Nessy

Visit site
Hi MartynG!

Many thanks for your answer!

We already felt the high price in 2022 and it was difficult to get swap-bottles. But with some efforts after some days we could get
another one. We habe always one full bottle on stock, but during estimated 4-5 months we will need to buy some more.
And with this expirience we are a little anxius if there is a CampinGaz support in the Northern part of UK.

Stefan

Nessy

Visit site
HI dunedin!

Many thanks for your information!

it‘ s a good advice!

I will have a look to the Cruising Association.

Stefan

Dino

Visit site
Sounds like an interesting trip. The best cruising grounds in Ireland are between Cork Harbour and the Shannon Estuary. Kilmore Quay, Dunmore East and the trip up to Waterford would be a good option too. The east coast of Ireland is fairly nice but there are not many harbours or marinas.
Www.eoceanic.com is a great free resource.
Try to spend some time on the West Cork and Kerry coast. It’s a beautiful part of the world, you just need the weather.

Nessy

Visit site
Good Morning Dino!

Many thanks für your notes to the southeast coast! I will have a look if we can integrate the information.

Have a nice day!

Best Regads!

Stefan

Nessy

Visit site
Another question yesterday evening took with me falling asleep is, which courtesy flag we need for Northern Ireland.
The Red Ensign or the Northern Ireland Flag?

Thanks and a nice day!

Today I have a date in a boatyard in the surroundings of Frankfurt which do restaurations of classic boats and yachts and will have a interview with the boss about the refits of an ancient Chris Craft und a swiss Boesch-Boat.

See you…

Stefan

Greg2

Visit site
Another question yesterday evening took with me falling asleep is, which courtesy flag we need for Northern Ireland.
The Red Ensign or the Northern Ireland Flag?

Thanks and a nice day!

Today I have a date in a boatyard in the surroundings of Frankfurt which do restaurations of classic boats and yachts and will have a interview with the boss about the refits of an ancient Chris Craft und a swiss Boesch-Boat.

See you…

Stefan

I know the N. Ireland quite well and the correct courtesy is the red ensign but if you are concerned about varying sensitivities around the coast no one will will question you for not flying one at all.

Out of idle curiosity I did a quick search to see if it had come up on here before and found this - it is a bit dated as it is from 2003 but it provides a little context.

@Fire99 is from that part of the world and may be able to comment further.

A lovely place that we hope to visit in our boat at some point.

Last edited:

alt

Visit site
Cork / SW Coast of Ireland is a more favorable cruising ground than Dublin. Ask @oceanfroggie - he has extensive knowledge of the Cork / SW region.

The East coast is very bland and Dublin isin't the most scenic cruising grounds. You have Dun Laoghaire (Easy train into the city centre), you have Poolbeg (city centre) and then to the North you have Howth & Malahide.

Not my area so cannot comment further, hopefully this bit of info is useful.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There are two navigational points of "interest for the Menai Straights:

The Swellies which is passed using good transits and the key is to go through at HW slack with is not at local high water but about 2hrs before it. Check the exact time it's 20 years since I last went through.

The other is caernarfon bar (sp) This is like most bars weather and tide dependant the best advice is to cross after the buoys have been laid as the bar shifts, cross on a rising tide and avoid strong winds which can make it untenable.

There are several NW sailors on here that will confirm or otherwise this information.

Ferris

Visit site
As others have said the SW Irish coast is a fantastic cruising ground - also it could open up the possibility of exploring the Shannon Navigation which is recommended.

But - SW coast is very exposed and I would suspect your plans would have to be open ended if you account for bad weather. The Irish Sea is a lot more sheltered and there are plenty of bolt holes on the East coast of Ireland (Rosslare - Arklow - Wicklow - Greystones - Dun Laoghaire - Poolbeg - Howth - Malahide - Skerries (Tidal) - Carlingford). Opportunity to do Isle of Mann and North Wales also.

Greystones / Dun Laoghaire / Howth / Malahide all have direct transport links to Dublin City Centre but are really pleasant towns / villages in their own right. They would be a good base for exploring on land too. Howth / Malahide are within 10miles of Dublin Airport.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The OP mentioned the Menai Straits and Scotland - so going via the Irish Sea and Dublin is the more direct route North, and much more sheltered for a modest sized motor yacht
If doing that then there really is no need to cross over to Wales, simply carry on northwards and stop at the Isle of Mann before crossing over to Scotland.

dunedin

Visit site
If doing that then there really is no need to cross over to Wales, simply carry on northwards and stop at the Isle of Mann before crossing over to Scotland.
I assume the OP wants to see the sights of the Menai Straits, or visit some friends. The Irish Sea is only about 50 miles wide between Anglesey and the Irish coast, so hardly a major diversion in a speedy motor yacht. Also exiting Menai eastwards would set up well to visit the Isle of Man.