Francis 400 Windlass Information

Bilge Rat

Visit site
Hi all,
I just wondered if anyone had a users' manual for a Francis 400 windlass? I downloaded a manual for the Francis 800 from the Simpson Lawrence spares website and although they look very similar, there are definitely some differences between the 400 and 800. For instance the 800 looks to have a two speed gearbox but I don't think my 400 does and the 800 manual also specifies SAE10 oil whereas there's a very hard to read label on the 400 windlass which looks like it says to use SAE 140.
The windlass stopped working last time out but I managed to get it going again by cleaning the contacts in the solenoid. However, it would be really good to have the exploded drawings and maintenance instructions specific to the 400 so I can try and keep it going a few more years. Also, the 800 manual I downloaded advises the gypsy can take both 8mm and 10mm chain. We currently have 8mm chain which is probably a bit light for a 10.5 tonne 39 foot boat so when it comes time to renew the chain it would be good to know if we can go up to 10mm and which spec of 10mm it would be. Thanks in advance if anyone can help with a scanned copy or any info on the chain spec.

macad

Visit site
I have a Francis windlass, uncertain if a 400 or 800 as it seems to have some aspects of both and there is documentation for both on the boat; but I have a PDF of the 800 manual – PM me with email if interested.

Visually the 800 looks like our windlass but it does not have the two speed function you mention.

Like you, I also thought our chain was a little light so wanted to upgrde but what a can of worms that was. It seems SL decided to make their own chain to suit their kit which equates to about 9mm – the chin for the Francis was pparently only available from SL! I purchased some 10mm DIN and ran some tests – jumped every time. I then tested 8mm which it managed okay so I purchased a load of 8mm G40 which worked fine but never gave perfect sleep and lacked the catenary effect needed for our heavy old bus so I purchased new 10 chain and a 10mm DIN gypsy and had it adapted to fit the Francis. I made wee videos of the 8mm chain tests using the SL gypsy (again PM me if you want the tests).

I tried for a considerable time to get larger SL Gypsy without joy. My own conclusion in the end is if you have a Francis, and want to upgrade your chain, seriously consider upgrading the windlass!

Cheers

xfactor

Visit site
I have a Francis windlass, uncertain if a 400 or 800 as it seems to have some aspects of both and there is documentation for both on the boat; but I have a PDF of the 800 manual – PM me with email if interested.

Visually the 800 looks like our windlass but it does not have the two speed function you mention.

Like you, I also thought our chain was a little light so wanted to upgrde but what a can of worms that was. It seems SL decided to make their own chain to suit their kit which equates to about 9mm – the chin for the Francis was pparently only available from SL! I purchased some 10mm DIN and ran some tests – jumped every time. I then tested 8mm which it managed okay so I purchased a load of 8mm G40 which worked fine but never gave perfect sleep and lacked the catenary effect needed for our heavy old bus so I purchased new 10 chain and a 10mm DIN gypsy and had it adapted to fit the Francis. I made wee videos of the 8mm chain tests using the SL gypsy (again PM me if you want the tests).

I tried for a considerable time to get larger SL Gypsy without joy. My own conclusion in the end is if you have a Francis, and want to upgrade your chain, seriously consider upgrading the windlass!

Cheers

Hi macad,
i have the same problem.
Could you tell wich 10mm DIN gipsy you got to modify to the francis windlass.
Thanks a lot and save sailing
Andreas

D

Deleted member 36384

I have the SL 400 manual.

The gypsy takes 5/16" (8mm) and 3/8" (10mm) calibrated chain, no other specification stated in the manual. Lubrication is SAE10 "non detergent oil or equivalent". I rebuilt mine, complete strip down, bearings and seals replaced. The motors can be rewound and are actually better performing according to stuff I read, but my motor worked fine, so.

I have a spare one at home, a bit of a wreck, and would be interested in buying any that come up for sale for the parts; my foredeck is moulded for this very winch, hence changing to another model is a bit of a faff.

The link dimensions of my chain are Outside Length 45mm, Outside Width 31.72mm, Internal Length 26mm, Internal Width 12.72mm, Link Diameter 9.5mm

51013111881_dbc8311283_4k.jpg

I can scan my manual for you, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward a copy some time tomorrow.

xfactor

Visit site

The gypsy takes 5/16" (8mm) and 3/8" (10mm) calibrated chain, no other specification stated in the manual. Lubrication is SAE10 "non detergent oil or equivalent". I rebuilt mine, complete strip down, bearings and seals replaced. The motors can be rewound and are actually better performing according to stuff I read, but my motor worked fine, so.

I have a spare one at home, a bit of a wreck, and would be interested in buying any that come up for sale for the parts; my foredeck is moulded for this very winch, hence changing to another model is a bit of a faff.

The link dimensions of my chain are Outside Length 45mm, Outside Width 31.72mm, Internal Length 26mm, Internal Width 12.72mm, Link Diameter 9.5mm

I can scan my manual for you, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward a copy some time tomorrow.

Hi BlowingOldBoots,
Thank you verry much for your offer but I have the original manual, and verry happy with my perfect working windlass from 1977.
It is just that it is verry difuculd to find a 5/16 chain. The one I have now is 10 years old (I bougth it wile in the caribean) and I had it regalvanized this week and it came out like new. But I would not mind to have a gipsy made for 10mm DIN chain as macad has dicribed above.
I guess the the windlass will continue working for an long time more .....
Greetings from Spain
Andreas

D

Deleted member 36384

Welcome to the forum xfactor.

I think replacement parts that are unique to this windlass are now very rare. You could try sending macad a Private Message (PM). Click on macad name below the purple dot with the M in it and you will get an option to send a Private Message.

Good luck.

Hi BlowingOldBoots,
Thank you verry much for your offer but I have the original manual, and verry happy with my perfect working windlass from 1977.
It is just that it is verry difuculd to find a 5/16 chain. The one I have now is 10 years old (I bougth it wile in the caribean) and I had it regalvanized this week and it came out like new. But I would not mind to have a gipsy made for 10mm DIN chain as macad has dicribed above.
I guess the the windlass will continue working for an long time more .....
Greetings from Spain
Andreas

SteffenCV

Visit site

Hi,
I think I have a Francis 400 windlass (I have been trying to find out for some time now) and would very much like to have a copy of your manual if possible
BR
Steffen

macad

Visit site
Hello

I just happened upon this old post... I have Francis 400 manual if you would like a pdf version PM me.

Mine is currently in bits having locked up at the start of last season. Hand hauled for a few months but it tended to limited the depth I wanted to park in so have managed to open her up and discovered collapsed thrust bearings inside but all else looks like new(ish)!

Hope you manage to keep yours going.

Adrianlane

Visit site
Hi everyone. Would anyone have manuals for a Francis 900e dual speed winch. My 1965 feadship has one that just jammed and would be good to have a manual in hand before I start pulling it apart

Naknek

Visit site
Hello

I just happened upon this old post... I have Francis 400 manual if you would like a pdf version PM me.

Mine is currently in bits having locked up at the start of last season. Hand hauled for a few months but it tended to limited the depth I wanted to park in so have managed to open her up and discovered collapsed thrust bearings inside but all else looks like new(ish)!

Hope you manage to keep yours going.