Fitting a windlass to a Seamaster 925

roger303

Visit site
Hi all.
I intend to fit a Lofrans Royal manual windlass to my 925.
The plan is to cut the anchor stowage lid into 3 sections, fixing and reinforcing the centre section to provide a fixing platform for the windlass so that the chain can run off the gypsy directly into the hawse pipe.
The remaining 2 sections to stay hinged, for lifting.
Has anyone done similar .. or have a better idea?
Cheers
Roger

Attachments

• E25347C9-8521-4DDC-8CFE-8F9DB8EC6589.jpeg
    E25347C9-8521-4DDC-8CFE-8F9DB8EC6589.jpeg
    965.4 KB · Views: 9

Neeves

Visit site
Hi all.
I intend to fit a Lofrans Royal manual windlass to my 925.
The plan is to cut the anchor stowage lid into 3 sections, fixing and reinforcing the centre section to provide a fixing platform for the windlass so that the chain can run off the gypsy directly into the hawse pipe.
The remaining 2 sections to stay hinged, for lifting.
Has anyone done similar .. or have a better idea?
Cheers
Roger
Hi Roger

I confess to not know what a 925 might be, but assume a yacht of 9.25m.

I assume there is a bulkhead just 'behind' the stowage locker (that will become the chain locker) right at the bow. I also assume there is a 'V; berth immediately behind the 'future' chain locker.

The bulkhead, to which I refer (and might not exist) would be a sensible strong point for the attachment of a windlass.

Why not move the location of the windlass a 'bit' aft, to allow attachment using the bulkhead and instal a hawse pipe focussed at filling the bow locker with chain, so angled forward (but not massively impinging on the integrity of the bulkhead).

Hopefully you will receive more informed solutions from those who know the yacht.

Jonathan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Yes, exactly that but not the same boat. Windlass installation

Has been very successful with no negatives other than not being able to stow the anchor in the locker, not really an issue. I did this 20 years ago, used for two windlasses.

However I suggest very strongly that installing a Lofrans Royal is a waste of effort and money. I had one on the same boat for a short time and found it close to useless. It is wearyingly slow in use and ultimately I almost never used it, preferring to haul in by hand. Save up for a little longer and buy an electric one.

roger303

Visit site
Hi Roger

I confess to not know what a 925 might be, but assume a yacht of 9.25m.

I assume there is a bulkhead just 'behind' the stowage locker (that will become the chain locker) right at the bow. I also assume there is a 'V; berth immediately behind the 'future' chain locker.

The bulkhead, to which I refer (and might not exist) would be a sensible strong point for the attachment of a windlass.

Why not move the location of the windlass a 'bit' aft, to allow attachment using the bulkhead and instal a hawse pipe focussed at filling the bow locker with chain, so angled forward (but not massively impinging on the integrity of the bulkhead).

Hopefully you will receive more informed solutions from those who know the yacht.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathon. I think I've worked out a solution. Appreciate the input.

roger303

Visit site
Yes, exactly that but not the same boat. Windlass installation

Has been very successful with no negatives other than not being able to stow the anchor in the locker, not really an issue. I did this 20 years ago, used for two windlasses.

However I suggest very strongly that installing a Lofrans Royal is a waste of effort and money. I had one on the same boat for a short time and found it close to useless. It is wearyingly slow in use and ultimately I almost never used it, preferring to haul in by hand. Save up for a little longer and buy an electric one.
Thanks for the advice ... much appreciated.
I've had a Royal on a previous boat and found it took the load off my ageing back.