Forumite meet up. Guess who we’ve just met up with?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Many forumites know that RumPirate extends a welcome and the promise of the first drink at his favourite beach bar to any forum member visiting.. For anyone thinking of sailing to the Caribbean, St Kitts should be on your bucket list. It’s a lovely island and RumPirate is a great host. (We worked out last night that we’ve known each other for sixteen years, although the last time we met in person was ten years ago!)

capnsensible

Visit site
One of the highlights for us was a visit to Brimstone Hill Fort.

I didn't realise what a large number of British soldiers fought in the Caribbean and that the biggest cause of death was lead poisoning from pewter mugs.....

geem

Visit site

I didn't realise what a large number of British soldiers fought in the Caribbean and that the biggest cause of death was lead poisoning from pewter mugs.....
My understanding is that water barrels were sealed with lead. That is where the poisoning came from.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Historically pewter alloy was made with lead. This is no longer the case because of the lead poisoning risk. A lot of food handling materials, plates, storage containers contained the lead based alloy with many cases of lead poisoning amongst European and American people.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site

The spirit , rum, was distilled using lead piping at the Romney Manor distillery - apparently the oldest distillery in the Caribbean (ducks from incoming from the Bajan contingent).

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Nice to see that Doug is still passionate about Mount Gay - altho' I thought that @Rum_Pirate is an XO lad, rather than Eclipse?
I still drink Eclipse in Rum Punch or in a mixed drink.

However XO and above I generally have on the rocks, usually with artificial ice cubes.

I also enjoy Ron Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 12 (better than the 15)