Forespar vs Tru Design

Sea Change

Visit site
I'm going to pull most of my through hulls for inspection next lift out. If I need to replace any, I'm tempted to use Marelon instead of bronze. Not least because I might be flying with them and they'll be much lighter!
Am I understanding correctly that Forespar and Tru Design are two separate companies? Is one preferable to the other?

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
IIRC Forespar uses NPT threads, should you ever need a replacement in the European area they are more difficult to source than usual BSP.
Check plastic fitting overall sizes too, they are bulkier than equivalent metal ones.

geem

Visit site
I'm going to pull most of my through hulls for inspection next lift out. If I need to replace any, I'm tempted to use Marelon instead of bronze. Not least because I might be flying with them and they'll be much lighter!
Am I understanding correctly that Forespar and Tru Design are two separate companies? Is one preferable to the other?
I went with Forespar as they are chunkier and have a wide base. I have no problem fitting them as I have plenty of space around the through hulls. They have been in 12 years now. Handles all move freely. They have the nifty little plig built in to the handle in case you ever want to close off the through hull. I fitted mine when I laid the boat up. Stops critters getting in

Sea Change

Visit site
I went with Forespar as they are chunkier and have a wide base. I have no problem fitting them as I have plenty of space around the through hulls. They have been in 12 years now. Handles all move freely. They have the nifty little plig built in to the handle in case you ever want to close off the through hull. I fitted mine when I laid the boat up. Stops critters getting in
Thanks. Where did you source yours? I have a friend visiting the USA who owes me a little favour so it might make sense to get him to pick them up for me...
Budget and IWW sell various composite fittings but it doesn't seem to be the full range. But maybe if you ask, they can get it?
Or of course I could buy in the UK while I'm back.

geem

Visit site
Thanks. Where did you source yours? I have a friend visiting the USA who owes me a little favour so it might make sense to get him to pick them up for me...
Budget and IWW sell various composite fittings but it doesn't seem to be the full range. But maybe if you ask, they can get it?
Or of course I could buy in the UK while I'm back.
Where are you? We ship stuff in from the USA using West Tech shipping. Its super cheap. I have even purchased stuff off ebay in the UK and had it sent to .West Tech in Florida for onward shipping to Antigua. You can also ship it via West Tech to St Martin

lustyd

Visit site
I went with Forespar as they are chunkier and have a wide base
Trudesign have a super wide base once you add in the collars (which were very cheap). I don't have any preference between the two, but fitted TD last year and can definitely say I won't go back to metal. Little things like no condensation on them so the bilge ends up drier as well as big things like them not degrading over time.

TD have full certification, not sure with Forespar but assume they must too. TD also tested at high temp so usable in engine compartment on non-commercial vessels.

Sea Change

Visit site
Where are you? We ship stuff in from the USA using West Tech shipping. Its super cheap. I have even purchased stuff off ebay in the UK and had it sent to .West Tech in Florida for onward shipping to Antigua. You can also ship it via West Tech to St Martin
We're hauling out in Carriacou and ideally I'm not going to order anything until I've got the old fittings out, and can see what condition they're in. It will also make measuring up much easier.

I initially just picked one fitting (a 1/2" valve) and price checked between Budget, West Marine, and a couple of places in the UK, and there was almost no difference in price. But looking in to it a bit further, Budget don't seem to carry the whole range, and friends have said they saved a significant sum importing Tru Design fittings from the US to SXM.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've just fitted a Trudesign 38mm for the loo outlet - not tested yet as still ashore. Easy to fit and use. Pleased so far and won't sieze up like the original metal one. And cheaper than an equivalent metal one.

Pete735

Visit site
I fitted forespar throughout in 2014 and replaced the heads outlet with Trudesign in 2022 because it had got unbelievably stiff. I am about to make the same change on the heads inlet for the same reason. I have no idea why these valves have stiffened up when the others are absolutely fine but from day 1 I noticed the Trudesign was (and continues to be) much smoother in operation than any of the forespar valves have ever been.

geem

Visit site
I fitted forespar throughout in 2014 and replaced the heads outlet with Trudesign in 2022 because it had got unbelievably stiff. I am about to make the same change on the heads inlet for the same reason. I have no idea why these valves have stiffened up when the others are absolutely fine but from day 1 I noticed the Trudesign was (and continues to be) much smoother in operation than any of the forespar valves have ever been.
My forespar valves don't get regular use, but even so, they close off easily. I couldn't be happier with them

stranded

Visit site
Sounds like you can take your pick and be happy. We had about 14 trudesigns with load bearing collars fitted a couple of years ago and very happy. Do think about the fitting challenges that the load bearing collars present on tight places though. Took our yard substantially longer to fit some that required additional work to fit the collars. Luckily for us it was the first time they had done a full trudeign fitout so they treated it as a training experience and only charged us what it would have cost had they been a DZR like for like replacement. You don’t see that very often in the marine world!