Ford mermaid engines

essexboy

Visit site
Off to look at a boat with a 4cyl ford mermaid engine, any thing perticular to look at?

Cheers john
Hi, bomb proof units, if it is a "Dorset" ( Older) parts are getting scarce, Dover ( Later) slightly less so.
Check for oil leaks from rear main oil seal, and check oil level is not overfill.

rgsmg53

Visit site
Why not give Mermaid Marine in Poole a ring. I recently bought a Mobo with twin Ford Sabres and used Mermaid to carry out an engine survey. Well worth while.

Google them for the phone number and speak to Steve Atkins. He is very knowledgeable and he may well be prepared to give you some pointers. If you do decide to use their professional services then I think you'll find them very reasonable and of a high quality.

I've no connection with them other than as a very satisfied customer.

If you wanted to use my name as recommending them then feel free to PM me.

john-m

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Engine supposed to have rebuilt be them 2yrs ago. How do I tell if it's a Dorset or Dover engine?
Thanks

rgsmg53

Visit site
Do you know who re-built it - they'll almost certainly know otherwise sourcing the correct parts would have been problematic.

I know how to tell on Ford Sabre engines - there is a plate just above and to the left (aft) of the injection pump. Depending on the letter prefixing the engine number it is one or the other. Mine are B's which is the Sabre designation for Dover-based engines (for my size of engine).

I have no idea whether Mermaid used similar designations - sorry. However, I'm almost certain that Mermaid Marine will happily tell you FOC. If you don't want to deal with them then Lancing Marine are probably as knowledgeable but you will have to deal with a certain senior member of staff there whose customer-facing skills leave a lot to be desired..................

Lancing publish a Price Book (which is much much more than just prices) available as a pdf on their website. This might help you.