Following on from the earlier 60/40 diesel

Scubadoo

Visit site
This may be a silly question....

I know HMRC have stated 60/40 guide, however what if you do not use that amount for domestic use. So how do you measure to be more accurate and if they check how will they measure.

If everyone declared 60/40 surely at some point they will take a close look and if abused change it.

jfm

Visit site
No!

They are content with 60/40 and have no interest in checking up on 60/40ers or changing the rules. They have MUCH bigger fish to fry. They can't say that as explicitly as we can write on a forum but there is a code in the form of words they used and this is what it means. It doesn't matter that your strict use isn't 60/40. There are lots of parallels for this in other areas of tax law

The 60/40 is perfectly ok by HMRC, so just use it and keep quiet. They will not check up on 60/40ers (indeed, they have no practical means of doing so, nor any desire to)

BG1

Visit site
I imagine that HMRC do not want the hassle of any other system considering the minimal tax return to the exchequer. Just keep your head down and accept what is on offer.

We will all be moaning if oil rises to <$145 a barrel as earlier this year. Then we will question again if the system employed (60/40) is a fair one.

PhilipF

Visit site
Well I for one am not happy about this.

In effect; if I signed that I was likely - or intending - to use forty per cent of the fuel I would be purchasing off my main supplier for heating my boat, I would be telling a lie. And that I have no wish to do.

We are now what I prefer to term "leisured", so while we do not live on board our boat, we do certainly spend much time aboard, in the winter as much as the summer. While we do turn on the heater in the morning at this time of year, we usually don't need it later due to the amount of glass, and the fact that this acts rather like a green-house.

Spending more time than most, in and around the marina, we are aware of others use of their boats - not a lot! So if I cannot truthfully claim a 60/40 rate, I'm damn sure they cannot.

capsco

Visit site
If you are unable to accept what is been offered, I suggest that you send a cheque to Mr Brown direct, for as much as you can afford, I am sure he will spend it "prudently", and you will have a clear concience.

No Regrets

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

In effect; if I signed that I was likely - or intending - to use forty per cent of the fuel I would be purchasing off my main supplier for heating my boat, I would be telling a lie. And that I have no wish to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utterly, totally unbelievable..... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm sure you're a lovely lovely man, but have you any idea how pompous and stupid that sounds in the cold hard light of day? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is this a forum for serious boaters, or a drop in centre for people with serious phsyciactric issues /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

longjohnsilver

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're a lovely lovely man, but have you any idea how pompous and stupid that sounds in the cold hard light of day? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is this a forum for serious boaters, or a drop in centre for people with serious phsyciactric issues /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something here? Why reply to hlb but quote what someone else has said? Not sure how you managed that.

[2068]

Visit site
I believe there is a fund for people who would like to voluntarily make extra payments to HM Revenue and Customs.

A few years ago, the fund stood at around £64,000...

dv.

misterg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...Is this a forum for serious boaters, or a drop in centre for people with serious phsyciactric issues /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found it all makes a lot more sense if you assume the latter.

Andy

dsw

Visit site
you are either stupid or you have loads of money /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CHI

Visit site
I am amazed at Philip_fry,s comments. HMRC seem very happy with a 60/40 split as it will not incur a heavy cost to implement a system forced upon us by the EU beaurocrats.
It appears that not everyone can understand this!!

Whitelighter

Visit site
Its not a heating allowance (as you suggest).

Think of it this way, what you are saying is 40% of your fuel is not used for propulsion - making your boat move.

Therefor, engines at idle on the berth are in the 40%, engines running to charge batteries are in the 40%, engines running to heat water in the 40%, diesel used in your heating system is in the 40%, diesel used in your generator is in the 40% - in fact, any kind of fuel use except for actually making your boat move is in the 40%.

Even when you are moving, not all of the diesel used is for propulsion, as you are always heating water and charging the electrical system

No Regrets

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something here? Why reply to hlb but quote what someone else has said? Not sure how you managed that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't replying to HLB though....hence the use of the quote from a post which had been previously made!

Unless you have found a way to insert your post a few slots previous, this is normal forum practise...

I will assume it's a drop-in centre like the other nice man suggested. It all makes sense now /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
If it assuages your conscience -

[ QUOTE ]

We are now what I prefer to term "leisured", so while we do not live on board our boat, we do certainly spend much time aboard, in the winter as much as the summer. While we do turn on the heater in the morning at this time of year, we usually don't need it later due to the amount of glass, and the fact that this acts rather like a green-house.

Spending more time than most, in and around the marina, we are aware of others use of their boats - not a lot! So if I cannot truthfully claim a 60/40 rate, I'm damn sure they cannot.

[/ QUOTE ]

- <span style="color:blue">look at it this way:-</span>

Putting aside the perceived morality issue for a moment, and perhaps be pragmatic. If you compare current pump prices for road diesel and what marinas are charging, I suggest that you will see only a small difference in price.

Might I suggest that in their wisdom ( /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) that is precisely why HMRC suggest a "no recriminations" split of 60/40 for boaters.

To my mind the more important issue is to discourage boat users from carrying cans of Red or White diesel to their boats. Using a sensible formula they are making it just not worth the effort of folks organising potentially hazardous fuel supply. At the same time it keeps the established fuel supplier in business.

SO by keeping Schtum and accepting the "norm" , you achieve HMRC's aim, AND keep waterside suppliers in business.

Perhaps your conscience may be satisfied by the fact that you will be paying around pump prices for your fuel, so no dishonour.

The only item left unresolved is are you content in making more of a contribution to marina's costs than direct to the government in lost duty revenue.

Sometimes it's necessary to thin outside the box.

Chris_d

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't replying to HLB though....hence the use of the quote from a post which had been previously made!

Unless you have found a way to insert your post a few slots previous, this is normal forum practise...

I will assume it's a drop-in centre like the other nice man suggested. It all makes sense now /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you click on threaded mode you will see that you replied to HLB, its a problem with the default mode being flat. Back in the old days when the forum was threaded it made much more sense to follow, even if slower to read. In flat mode most people don't seem to know how to use it and jsut add a comment on the end without replying to someone specifc. Try it in threaded mode for a while and you will see it makes much more sense who is talking to who. Sorry nothing personal this is just a bit of a pet hate of mine, it gets bit boring receiving emails from peeps who are actualy talking to someone else.

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes you set preferences so that if someone replies to your post you will recieve it by email, however usualy they they are talking to someone else unless its a more experienced forumite. Actualy most of the bustups on the forum are caused by peeps replying to the wrong person in flat mode, quite amusing to watch sometimes, frustrating on others. Its the worse thing ybw ever did making the forum default to flat mode.

No Regrets

Visit site
Not a problem if one uses the 'Quote' function as supplied.

I have moderated five forums for years now, and they all run the same way, and perfectly well.