Folding bikes

B175Chris

Visit site
Hi guys, I know I dont venture into here too much what with me having a motor and all hehe

Basically I'm a bit fed up of simply walking round france and would like to locate a couple of folding/smaller bikes much like you guys have on your yachts, hence asking here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does anyone know of anywhere in the South of France that may be able to help, looking for cheap as possible as well as I think getting a bargain makes everything more worthwhile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Chris

B175Chris

Visit site
Ah right OK well I wont keep it on the boat, It will be kept as far away from the river as poss, most likely inside, and the ride doesnt have to be brilliant, i wnt be going for miles and miles, just something as an alternative to walking everywhere... saw some well priced regular bikes but folding would be better for storage, any brands that anyone can reccommend?

B175Chris

Visit site
Wow what are the odds? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Problem is I cant transport them from UK to france, need to buy there really - there's a lot on ebay going cheap but none that will send to france, postage would probably cost more than the bikes... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

B175Chris

Visit site
I should have looked before I left the other day really but slipped my mind, i guess I'll just have to wait... if there was an outlet or something then that would have been useful but perhaps not /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chasroberts

Visit site
Worth a thought is a couple of full size bikes. We paid about €75 from Carrefour for an alloy framed (not mild steel) full size 18 gear maountain bike with a half decent saddle and suspension. It's still OK now, three years later after travelling on the after deck and living on the pontoon. With the best will in the world, at that price, they are practically giving them away.

Good Luck

ostra4

Visit site
We have two folding bikes .An old banger we bought off the quayside for 40 euro with three speeds and a bickerton .We love having the bikes to zip around on when we get where we are going .The bickerton is very light and thats important when getting it on and off .Bickerton also good to ride for me within the limitations of folding bikes .I am 6-2 and 14 stone plus I have filled my carry bag which goes on handlebars and no problems with that either .If we had two expensive folders i think we would probably be more concerned about having them stolen .As it is it wouldnt hurt too much at what we paid for them .If you only use on river or keep em in a bag whilst at sea rust shouldnt be a problem .If they last a few years you can always throw em away and get some more cheapies .I would love a brompton type but dont want to worry about having them stolen .Choices I suppose .The ones we have allow us to go on decent ride of say 8 miles or so with no problems .Happy cycling with whatever you get.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I'd go for them, too. Ride quality will be as good as any folder except the very best and most expensive. If space is a problem, buy a couple of quick-release skewers and take the wheels off very easily.

B175Chris

Visit site
Thanks guys, thought about regular bikes as they do seem very cheap at that price which were the ones I saw to be honest, i expected the folding ones to be less expensive, guess I'll need to just look through some local mag classifieds when i get back, either that or find out what folding bikes is in french so i can search on ebay.fr and get them delivered there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

Chris

narooma

Visit site
Special offer for you. 2 second hand but good condition folding bikes in bags. £100 plus delivery cost. Further details ..see ad in boats and outboards equipment section

moonshine

Visit site
Take a look at ZERO folding bikes, they have shaft drive, i.e. no dirty oily chains to get in the way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. No personal experience, but the alloy frame + shaft + reasonable wheel size seems a good combination.

Good luck.

B175Chris

Visit site
Thanks all for replies, i think i'll keep an eye out for Vélo pliant on ebay as it seems that would be the easiest way with a set postage cost etc

Thanks to everyone who offered but I think it's slightly more than i was looking to pay, just looking for something very cheap for very short distances and cheap delivery, I think eBay will be the key /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Chris