Fm radio cockpit speakers volume control

masterofnone

Visit site
Hi all. Compliments of the season to everyone. Occasionally I would like to reduce the volume , you know when the misses has something to say, or the vhf demands my attention. Do I need to instal a potentiometer on each speaker or can I simply instal a on/off switch in the neg line . Thanks

wonkywinch

Visit site
What make of player? Fusion have remotes and/or app controls.

Putting a pot in the speaker leads is no go as you'd need a hefty wirewound one to cope with the power.

Best to control the source if you can

Hadenough

Visit site
Hi all. Compliments of the season to everyone. Occasionally I would like to reduce the volume , you know when the misses has something to say, or the vhf demands my attention. Do I need to instal a potentiometer on each speaker or can I simply instal a on/off switch in the neg line . Thanks
Or perhaps when passing another boat peacefully at anchor!

William_H

Visit site
I would not suggest switch in the common negative it might cause some interaction one channel to the other. You used to be able to buy low resistance dual potentiometers just for fitting in to speaker line. (sometimes called faders for ballance front to back in a car) I would suggest a simple double pole switch with 2 resistors switched in to speaker lines (try 22 ohms 5watt) to give either full volume or much attenuated. Double pole keeping each channel wiring separate. ol'will

Elessar

Visit site
I now have a fusion stereo so I have different zones for saloon, flybridge and cockpit. You can control the individual volumes from your phone or from a remote control which you just stick somewhere handy and it operates from Bluetooth. A really good solution but £££ especially if you already have a decent stereo.

Before that I put a dual pole on off switch in the positive feeds to the outside speakers.

The caution with the switch solution is you can forget it’s switched on. You can put the radio on in the saloon in morning unaware that it is on outside.

I’ve yet to find a switch to turn off the sound of the moans of grumpy old men either.

Refueler

Visit site
I have Computer based Media speakers ... they plug into the radio along with separate 12v - one of the speakers is the main with ON / OFF and volume + tone as well.
I can blast away with the best or just have it tinkling away in the background .. or OFF

Many of todays radios will have menu option to turn off secondary speakers ...

masterofnone

Visit site
I now have a fusion stereo so I have different zones for saloon, flybridge and cockpit. You can control the individual volumes from your phone or from a remote control which you just stick somewhere handy and it operates from Bluetooth. A really good solution but £££ especially if you already have a decent stereo.

Before that I put a dual pole on off switch in the positive feeds to the outside speakers.

The caution with the switch solution is you can forget it’s switched on. You can put the radio on in the saloon in morning unaware that it is on outside.

I’ve yet to find a switch to turn off the sound of the moans of grumpy old men either.
I like the sound of the dual pole on /off switch. more details please. An advert popped up the other day for a fusion, gone by the time I replied.

masterofnone

Visit site
I would not suggest switch in the common negative it might cause some interaction one channel to the other. You used to be able to buy low resistance dual potentiometers just for fitting in to speaker line. (sometimes called faders for ballance front to back in a car) I would suggest a simple double pole switch with 2 resistors switched in to speaker lines (try 22 ohms 5watt) to give either full volume or much attenuated. Double pole keeping each channel wiring separate. ol'will
William. Thanks. You have over estimated my skills, When it came to double pole 3 resistors 3 contacts I opened my wallet to the nice man at the swindlery. Thanks for your advice.

Stemar

Visit site
Something like this?

61lHe7JFv5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lots of others around for those, like me, who don't like Amazon

wonkywinch

Visit site
Something like this?

61lHe7JFv5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lots of others around for those, like me, who don't like Amazon
The OP hasn't answered the question what radio does he have. Some do not like being open circuit and the danger of switching the speaker feed is one day the radio will be turned up loud "why isn't this thing working?" and then the speaker switch thrown shortly followed by burned out speakers.

Although rectangular switches look good, they are a PITA to retro fit, especially in thick wood or metal panels. Presumably the switch needs to be handy and located near the speakers rather than the panel. This will mean running the speaker feed via the switch then out to the speakers. If the switch is near one speaker, you'll have to break the circuit of the other speaker and bring it's leads to and from the new switch location.

I would probably put something like a 22 ohm 10 watt wirewound resistor across the switch contacts so "ON" equals normal and "OFF" puts the resistor in series so there is a} still a load on the output amplifier in your radio and b} some residual audio through the speakers for feedback that the radio is still turned on (feedback as in knowledge not that squealing noise!).

switch.jpg

masterofnone

Visit site
Hi Wonkywinch.
The fm radio is a normal car radio with 2 pairs of speakers, cabin and pushpit. The little round switch would appear to be just the thing to switch off the pushpit speakers temporarily . Furneaux or RS?

wonkywinch

Visit site
Hi Wonkywinch.
The fm radio is a normal car radio with 2 pairs of speakers, cabin and pushpit. The little round switch would appear to be just the thing to switch off the pushpit speakers temporarily . Furneaux or RS?

Are the two pairs wired as two stereo pairs in parallel or connected to a four channel output (ie "front and rear"). How it's been wired will help determine how best to control the cockpit pair.

Refueler

Visit site
Are the two pairs wired as two stereo pairs in parallel or connected to a four channel output (ie "front and rear"). How it's been wired will help determine how best to control the cockpit pair.
If anything like radios I have done similar with before ... a single dual pole switch can do both speakers by just switching one wire of each speaker ...

ie

Lets say left speaker has #3 and #4 connection and right speaker has #5 and #6 connection.

All you need do is connect #3 through one pole of switch and onto speaker left ... #5 through the other pole of switch and onto right speaker.

All it needs is to break the circuit. You do not need both speaker wires of each speaker to do it.

William_H

Visit site
Modern radios etc use a complimentary symmetry output circuit which is not affected by high load impedance. ie no load. Correct load impedance only ensures max power available. Not OP concern. Yes reconnecting speakers when volume control is set high could be a problem but not if you have internal speakers as well. Nigel has described the wiring perfectly to mute the outside speakers. Correct name for switch type is double pole single throw. If you want to just reduce the volume then fit 2 resitors one for each channel across the switch contacts so that rather than opening the wire completely you insert a resistor. (X2) The value of the resistor will set the volume of the speaker when muted. Common now are toggle switches with a centre off position. ie 3 positions. This could enable OP to have no sound , full sound and a selected reduced volume. ol'will
https://www.jaycar.com.au/dpdt-mini...os=1&queryId=4d7938ccb0e49675b603f76430db93bb
https://www.jaycar.com.au/47-ohm-5-...os=2&queryId=528709a4d96db46d7a6e436551962854

Last edited: