Flotilla Recommendation Wanted

Plainsman

Visit site
Although I have my Day Skipper ticket and my wife a Helmsman's Cert but we both lack inshore/coastal experience. We thought a flotilla holiday would help build our experience and offer a social element as well, we were thinking of the Med but which company to go with or even if it is a good idea? We are both retired and consider ourselves sociable types, a key factor we thought for a flotilla holiday. Comments, recommendations and advice appreciated.
I previously posted this elsewhere without much luck so thought I'd try this forum
Alex

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I've done two Flotillas in Croatia, both with Sunsail. Both were excellent. First one was 2016, based ACI Marina Dubrovnik, and the second in 2017, based from Marina Agana, nr Split. Superb location, the cruising grounds are just gorgeous. The boats, were newish and well maintained, flotilla skipper and hostie were great. Recommended.

Davy_S

Visit site
I would recommend Sailing Holidays in the Ionian, either the North or South Flotilla, they are a good company and look after you, you can have as much social activity as you like, if they think that you know what you are doing, you are allowed to leave the flotilla and go solo if you wish. It is a good introduction to flotilla sailing, many punters return every year, I have been with Sailing holidays, plus lived out there for years, they are one of the best for looking after their customers needs IMHO.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I've done two Flotillas in Croatia, both with Sunsail. Both were excellent. First one was 2016, based ACI Marina Dubrovnik, and the second in 2017, based from Marina Agana, nr Split. Superb location, the cruising grounds are just gorgeous. The boats, were newish and well maintained, flotilla skipper and hostie were great. Recommended.

Problem (perhaps) with Croatia is that they now require a VHF certificate in addition to ICC or equivalent.

Mike.

NormanB

Visit site
+2 for Sailing Holidays - been using them twice a year for the last 6 years enuf said.

Last time out we had a 50 foot Beneteau and took 6 guests (plus me and SWMBO) - they are very relaxed about you going off and doing your own thing, a daily call to the Flotilla Skipper being all that was required. We did about 50% with the flotilla and the rest independent.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
+1 for Sailing Holidays.

Been a several times with them over the years. Good combination of easy going and efficient. Help and guidance if you need it, but plenty of scope for developing your skills and confidence. You can have as much social activity as you like, as someone wrote above, or as little.

Ionian is a good place to start - scenic and varied, gentle winds most of the time, and a bit (or a lot!) more from time to time to challenge you and put a grin on your face.

Davy_S

Visit site
I will add a little more, dependant on the time of year you go, it can be busy, Sailing Holidays are masters at getting a space in a tight harbour, you can enjoy your day sailing, swimming, whatever takes your fancy, when you arrive they will have the job sorted, they will be ready and waiting to assist you to moor up, for a newcomer this can be very reassuring, no hassle no worries, but it will give you a good insight for if you ever decide to go bareboat, you will learn a lot, but you will enjoy it!

Heckler

Visit site
I would recommend Sailing Holidays in the Ionian, either the North or South Flotilla, they are a good company and look after you, you can have as much social activity as you like, if they think that you know what you are doing, you are allowed to leave the flotilla and go solo if you wish. It is a good introduction to flotilla sailing, many punters return every year, I have been with Sailing holidays, plus lived out there for years, they are one of the best for looking after their customers needs IMHO.
A big big plus one, best hols ever!

Captain Seapig

Visit site
We did the Neilson South Ionian last year. The lead boat looked after us the whole way. I must admit that I hadn’t realised how social it was, but it was really good fun. Would definitely recommend.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Have you a reference for the VHF certificate requirement as we've chartered and owned in Croatia for 10 years now and I've never heard that. The Sunsail website does not mention anything about VHF. :confused:

Richard

We've been to Croatia many times without worrying about VHF certificates, and Yugoslavia before that. I believe it is a new requirement. I don't have an official reference to hand.

But for instance Seafarer says:
Skippers must be in possession of an internationally recognised licence. For those with UK issued licences, the most common on these would be the RYA Day Skipper Practical (or higher), or the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). In addition, the skipper is required to hold an appropriate VHF radio licence, for example the RYA Marine Radio (SRC). If you are unsure whether your qualification is sufficient, please call us to discuss this.

We went with Sailing Holidays a few years ago and had numerous problems. Other yachts did too. But we did get an acknowledgement from them and a substantial refund. It was a delivery trip but we had not expected to be finding shakedown faults.

Hence we have been flotilla sailing with Seafarer (https://seafarersailing.co.uk/) or Sunscape (http://www.sunscapeyachting.co.uk/) - who work together - for decades. See http://www.mjcoon.plus.com/page38.htm

Mike.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Have you a reference for the VHF certificate requirement as we've chartered and owned in Croatia for 10 years now and I've never heard that. The Sunsail website does not mention anything about VHF. :confused:

Richard

It was "recommended" in the Sunsail documents they sent us, and the Sunsail rep on checking wanted to see it. As I had it then no idea what woudl have happened if not.

Sunsail's paperwork said:
(Under Notifications - Recognized certificates for operating boats and yachts), an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) and it is recommended to have a VHF license.

choppy

Visit site
As insiders Yet another for Sailing holidays also always heard good things about Nielsen Unlikley to go wrong with either I would think.
Have fun it’s always a great week or 2

Crisby

Visit site
18 years ago we did our first flotilla with Sailing Holidays, beginning of June with 2 small children, the youngest was 18 months but was already used to boats by then as we had our own small cruiser at home. The Sailing Holidays lead crew were fantastic with the kids, even babysitting for us a couple of times.

Since then we have sailed bareboat in the Ionian most years and always noticed how the Sailing Holidays crews seemed to go the extra mile for their customers, so although we only had the one flotilla with them many years ago and the company has grown a fair bit the crews seem to still have the same approach. We have recommended them to many friends over the years who all say what a great time they had.

Our youngest son is now 19 and starting his first season as flotilla lead crew engineer (guess who for!) so will no doubt have some stories to tell from the other side of living in a 32ft boat with 2 other people for 7 months.

As others have said it’s a great area to explore, easy navigation, good Sailing in the afternoons and lovely harbours for the evenings. I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time whoever you go with.

Chris

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com

Richard

Regulations about croatian legal obligations for charterskippers sailing licence and VHF
Important Croatian Charter law obliges skipper to provide sailinglicence + VHF
Important Information if you want to charter a yacht in Croatia

Since 2005 croatian officials, Harbour Masters (Kapitanerie), Port Police and Coast Guard ask insistingly for the existence of a legal proof of a charterer´s knowledge, either brought with an international valid official sailing licence of the country, where the charterer comes from, or a croatian licence.

Both must include the VHF-licence, because in Croatia all charterboats are obliged to have a VHF-device on board - if one charters such a boat (and he can´t charter without one!), he MUST have that VHF-licence as well!

The skipper is obliged to have this papers in original with him (no copy) and the papers must be official sailing/boat/yachting licences.

The formely often accepted private confirmations of sailing clubs or other private papers are not acceptable anymore!
Usually, this is controlled at the issue of a transitlog, which lists all crewmembers on board and must be presented to the Kapitanerie of each port one calls.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Regulations about croatian legal obligations for charterskippers sailing licence and VHF
Important Croatian Charter law obliges skipper to provide sailinglicence + VHF
Important Information if you want to charter a yacht in Croatia

Since 2005 croatian officials, Harbour Masters (Kapitanerie), Port Police and Coast Guard ask insistingly for the existence of a legal proof of a charterer´s knowledge, either brought with an international valid official sailing licence of the country, where the charterer comes from, or a croatian licence.

Both must include the VHF-licence, because in Croatia all charterboats are obliged to have a VHF-device on board - if one charters such a boat (and he can´t charter without one!), he MUST have that VHF-licence as well!

The skipper is obliged to have this papers in original with him (no copy) and the papers must be official sailing/boat/yachting licences.

The formely often accepted private confirmations of sailing clubs or other private papers are not acceptable anymore!
Usually, this is controlled at the issue of a transitlog, which lists all crewmembers on board and must be presented to the Kapitanerie of each port one calls.

But that's not a Croatian Government document so might well be just a misunderstanding relating to privately owned boats where a VHF licence is required if you have a VHF.

Sunsail and The Moorings have required RYA/ICC for the last 10 years or so (Greece as well as Croatia now) but have never required a VHF licence for charter.

Has anyone a personal experience of chartering a boat in Croatia and being required to have a VHF licence? I was never asked to show mine.

Richard