Flood warnings as well!

Cantata

Visit site
Well, I presume the surge did precede HW for most of us after all, as the tide gauge data suggested mid-evening. HW Sheerness ended up with 'only' a 1m surge, Harwich with about 1.3m. Thank goodness for that.
I really don't think that the EA should have been telling everyone that the flooding they described was definite, though. Put the frighteners up a lot of people. e.g. BBC headline last night: "People living in east Kent have begun to evacuate their homes as the county prepares for the worst floods in more than half a century." The word 'possible' in that sentence might have been useful?
Commiserations to those who have suffered, and thanks for the vast majority who were let off this time.

Sandyman

Visit site
Well, I presume the surge did precede HW for most of us after all, as the tide gauge data suggested mid-evening. HW Sheerness ended up with 'only' a 1m surge, Harwich with about 1.3m. Thank goodness for that.
I really don't think that the EA should have been telling everyone that the flooding they described was definite, though. Put the frighteners up a lot of people. e.g. BBC headline last night: "People living in east Kent have begun to evacuate their homes as the county prepares for the worst floods in more than half a century." The word 'possible' in that sentence might have been useful?
Commiserations to those who have suffered, and thanks for the vast majority who were let off this time.

Your comments amaze me.

CliveG

Visit site
Harwich tide gauge is still showing a 1.5m surge.
Hopefully it won't get any higher than that.
Prediction is 4.24 @ 13:50.
So that will give a 5.74m tide.
This mornings recorded high was 5.48.
I hope SYH are busy extending piles!

Cantata

Visit site
Was about 1.5m at LW, but about 1m now, see http://www.ntslf.org/data/realtime?port=Harwich
I think what we are seeing is the tide not going out nearly as far as predicted - it happened yesterday as well. I don't think you can predict the height of HW by adding the LW surge to the HW tide-table height, it doesn't seem to work like that. It depends on the timing of the surge and whether or not it coincides with HW time.

Boogaloo

Visit site
If you have a boat at old felixstowe, you may want to check it is still there, apparantly those in winter storage have tried to hatch an escape.

sailorman

Visit site
The meadow @ Fox`s marina this was full of boats yesterday afternoon - at the peak the water was 4" deep under FMYC
20131206_082729.jpg
20131206_092108.jpg

Last edited:

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
Last edited:

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Are we going to get another flood to day? It is now 3 hours to high tide in Mersea and the water level is well above the usual spring half tide. Perhaps some of that is surge which will fall before the tide rises much more - as it did last night when at the highest point it was only about half a metre above the predicted level

davidej

Visit site
We survive unscathed . It didn't seem as though we would when at 11pm the tide was as high as a normal high tide springs and it was rushing in with three more hours of flood!

It was a bit of a party atmosphere with lots of people about and the local fishermen racing up and down the Coast Road in dories with outboards.

However by midnight the rate of rise had slowed and we went to bed at 130 am when it seemed to be ebbing (official high tide 0200). I understand that it had a second small rise after that before it finally ebbed.

Now standing by for the lunchtime tide which will be high but not as bad.

The local fuzz called around 7pm to warn us but not order us out, I had to sign to say I had received it.

A severe shortage of sandbags. Apparently people were pinching them from the local co-op which is at least a mile inland and in absolutely no danger
davidej

macnorton

Visit site
Hi all,

Any news from Wells Next the Sea? The harbour office's phone is constantly engaged :-(

jono

Quite a bit of flooding in the area, Rnli boathouse had deep water and waves straight through damaging the building and left shingle inside, a disused station has vanished.

Google Wells flooding that's where my info came from.

It seems the Wash area took the worst of it.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
It was about 1.6m over high springs at Wrabness, which has taken the doors off the boatshed beneath my hut and most of my toys have disappeared: I'm off with hammer and nails to sort it out.