FloGas propane availability

kev99

Visit site
So...having made the decision to ditch Calor because of their appalling attitude to customer service and change to FloGas Propane, and about to go away on the boat, I find I need a second FloGas 3.9 kg propane cylinder as a spare since I don't don't know where I'd be able to get a replacement when I'm away.

My marina don't have any available for new contracts and I'm told that it's difficult to get hold of them generally at the moment. The FloGas website isn't selling this size except for exchanges either.

It would appear that FloGas have the same problems as Calor and are run by people who have no idea of their markets. IT'S SUMMER! AND PEOPLE USE CARAVANS, BOATS, BBQs etc WITH PORTABLE GAS A LOT MORE! Why do these suppliers not understand this and PLAN AHEAD?!

fredrussell

Visit site
It’s a bit of a faff, but here is my advice: buy an empty 3.9 empty red cylinder on eBay. Then either get a flogas contract (or buy an eBay one) for a 19kg red cylinder - and fill your 3.9s from the 19kg. The hose to do this costs under a tenner, and you’ll never be at the mercy of Calor or Flogas again.

Gryphon2

Visit site
We got a exchanged one from a place close to the Medina on the Isle of Wight. You can leave the dinghy within 100m of their yard.

Boathook

Visit site
I looked at safefill but it wasn't worth the effort. There bottle the same size as a 4.5kg calor only held about 2.9kg and there seemed to be no waterside locations where you could get it refilled. The other problem is that it seems LPG refueling sites are getting less and less.
Whilst it would be nice to stick fingers up at calor they still have 'supplies' at waterside locations something that flogas havent achieved - yet.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I went through the same two finger exercises with Calor last year, and bought two Leisuregaz cylinders the same size as the Calor 3.9 propane or 4.5? Butane.
Turns out that Leisuregaz distributer are even rarer than flow gas, but there's a caravan sales site close to home which sells them, so it works for now.
I kept 2 red 3.9 empty Calor propane cylinders, because I guessed that Calor would loose too much market share, and need to return to the small cylinder market.
They say they have returned, but I've been unable to find any outlets in either the Aberdeen or Oban areas with full 3.9kg propane cylinders to buy.
So the market is still a mess.
The only reliable method is the buy big cylinder and decant, which is illegal.
I have the big cylinder and the hose, but have yet to try it.
I'm using much less gas this year, having bought a cheap, "single burner " induction hob, a 800watt electric vacuum kettle, and a electric toaster. I already had a microwave.
I only use the gas for baking bread, or more complex meals than my usual 1 pot meals.

kev99

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions....TBH though I use very little gas compared to others. Probably one and a half 3.9kg cylinders per season on average. Hence I'm content to pay a slight premium for the convenience of direct cylinder swap, and I can't be bothered with the faff and time taken to refill.
What I was hoping is that a bit of negative publicity would embarrass these monopoly suppliers into providing the service that people like me have signed up for AND THAT THEY HAVE CONTRACTED TO PROVIDE!
What I will add is that if the suppliers don't get their fingers out pdq then people like me will very soon make alternative arrangements, legal or not. Unfortunately though, they won't loose out because they are still the monopoly supplier of the large cylinders!

lustyd

Visit site
Phone FloGas. Their website is bad but their service is actually great if you call them. Even better if you can get to the distribution centre

MattK1969

Visit site
It’s a bit of a faff, but here is my advice: buy an empty 3.9 empty red cylinder on eBay. Then either get a flogas contract (or buy an eBay one) for a 19kg red cylinder - and fill your 3.9s from the 19kg. The hose to do this costs under a tenner, and you’ll never be at the mercy of Calor or Flogas again.
That's what I did. Worked well.

kev99

Visit site
...and an update from me on the FloGas situation...

I've just phoned the Flogas "customer service" department and they won't supply any new 3.9 propane cylinders at the moment. It's exchange ONLY.

The attitude was...very sorry blah blah blah...nothing we can do at the moment blah blah blah...couldn't care less blah blah blah...

So that's it. I'm very very cross with these morons. Just why is it we allow them to hold us to ransom?

lustyd

Visit site
To be fair, as a FloGas customer I'm glad they aren't screwing my service just to please you. Calor did that and ended up with no cylinders to swap!

rotrax

Visit site
Is it though?
I for one would be delighted to see any law which prohibits me from filling a small cylinder from a big one on my own property.

AFAIK any law is for Commercial suppliers. Doing it yourself, for your own use, is at your own risk.

I know enough about basic mechanics and gas transfer to have it cracked safely. Been doing it for three seasons now, a 3.9 Calor refil costs me £12.50 per fill using a 13 Kilo Propane as donor. Should be cheaper next time as I have a 19 Kilo donor for next time.

The trick seems to be to have the recieving cylinder floating in a tub of water. When it almost-but not quite-sinks it has the right amount of gas in it. Confirmed by carefully weighing. Never had to let any gas out yet! Wrapping the donor in a black bin liner and leaving it in the sun assists transfer big time.

No way I shall go back to the Calor cartel now I have two larger cylinders and my transfer pipe. :) (y)

lustyd

Visit site
They promise a lot. They're only acting because they lost so much business (hence the FloGas issue). Make no mistake, Calor don't care about customers at all, and the entire enterprise was designed to move you from £20 for a 4.5kg to £40 for a 2.7kg Campingaz. It backfired badly and now they're backpedaling.

Due to the number of customer moves, we're starting to see FloGas being offered in cages in many more locations. Supporting Calor right now will kill this healthy competition and lead us straight back to monopoly and abuse from Calor.

Aurai

Visit site
The whole market is odd, however, Homebase (Chatham) cheerfully replaced my empty Flo-Gas but would not do a supply only. The receipt, showed £90.00 for the gas and £45.00 taken off for the empty bottle.

ashtead

Visit site
For what it’s worth our localgarden centre happily sold us a new plastic bottle and gas . We use camping gazv907 on board as that’s what we started with and 2 bottles fit locker

DownWest

Visit site
Blimey!
I decant from the local Intermarche 13kg bottles to a plastic 'Cube' with a bit of adapted hose. I also top up the Camping gaz 907s with similar kit.
No rocket since needed.

B27

Visit site
Blimey!
I decant from the local Intermarche 13kg bottles to a plastic 'Cube' with a bit of adapted hose. I also top up the Camping gaz 907s with similar kit.
No rocket since needed.
The less 'rocket science' the better, when it comes to bottled gas.

If you can't buy a new flogas or whatever bottle of the size you want, then maybe look for a secondhand one?
FB marketplace or Gumtree?

I somewhat resent the price of camping gaz refills, but then again, I realise we are paying for a service, not just a few litres of gas.
Being able to exchange a bottle within a pushbike ride of where I keep my boat has a value.
I think we're paying £20 for the service, £2 for the gas and the rest to repaint or throw away the rusty bottles I take back?
I use maybe one, one and a half bottles a year and keep a spare on board, so when empty, the bottles have been mouldering close to the river for two years or so. They must use a quality of paint only undercut by what they put on 8 inch trailer wheels?