Flexiteek Colours

Dino

Visit site
Hi folks,
I’m getting my boat templated for Flexiteek in the next week or two. It’s a Broom Ocean 38 and it has bare gelcoat on the decks and bathing platform. The existing teak on the back deck under the canopy is in good condition so I’m keeping that.
I was wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding the various colours. I think the standard teak or the Scrubbed look the best. I’m definitely going for black caulk. I noticed at Düsseldorf Boat Show that a lot of modern boats and sportscruisers had the Weathered or Bleached

Flexiteek Deck Designer | Design Your Boat Deck Online

Moonbeam

Visit site
I've seen some with the 'weathered' or 'vintage' style look and was amazed at how real it looked. But then that fresh scrubbed look does appeal as well.... difficult choice.

ashtead

Visit site
You don’t say where you are based but if you are on south coast you might be able see the decks being retrofitted on Hanse yachts down at say hamble point. The only thing to remember is if you keep your real teak you will have to clean/seemco annually to ensure a colour match with say bleached Flexiteak .

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Hi folks,
I’m getting my boat templated for Flexiteek in the next week or two. It’s a Broom Ocean 38 and it has bare gelcoat on the decks and bathing platform. The existing teak on the back deck under the canopy is in good condition so I’m keeping that.
I was wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding the various colours. I think the standard teak or the Scrubbed look the best. I’m definitely going for black caulk. I noticed at Düsseldorf Boat Show that a lot of modern boats and sportscruisers had the Weathered or Bleached

For me, the choice would be between faded or weathered.
Scrubbed next to your back deck will look a bit too new and clean.

harvey38

Visit site
20220927_160144.jpg

We went with Tek Dek, excellent service, we went for the Old Teak and pleased we did.

Attachments

• 20220927_160144.jpg
    20220927_160144.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

Elessar

Visit site
Hi folks,

I had flexiteek scrubbed on my previous boat for 7 years. I never regretted the choice.
Non skid deck clever for regular cleans.
100 grit along the “grain” for scratches etc.
The yard jet wash when you come out for a bottom scrub.
At the time flexiteek was the only one where there were deliberate colour variations in the base material and that stripyness goes all the way through so sanded repairs don’t show. This made for a more real look. Other manufacturers may have caught up I don’t know.
When I have to replace the teak on this boat it will be with scrubbed flexiteek.

Hurricane

Visit site
Tek Dek is the end user arm of Trakmark.
Trakmark is the DIY supplier of the synthetic teak that I've been using.

I also have my bathing platform in Flexiteek - done first about 5 years ago.

However, I have noticed that Flexiteek changes in colour over time.
Not unpleasant but it goes "kind of" pinkish.

The best example I can give you is this photo.
In the photo the bathing platform is Flexiteek and the rest of the boat is Trakmark/Tek Dek

Photo_6553882_DJI_282_jpg_4372753_0_2021799238_photo_original.resized.jpg

Of course, this isn't comparing "apples with apples".
That said, the Flexiteek has definitely gone a pinkish colour since it was new.
Some of our Trakmark/Tek Dek has been on for 3 seasons now and hasn't noticeably changed colour.
The boat is in the Med so it is exposed to strong sunlight - the aft of the boat faces south.

As I said, the pinkish colour of the Flexiteek isn't unpleasant.
The difference isn't enough for me to be stripping off the bathing platform to replace it with Trakmark/Tek Dek.

Another observation is the surface texture.
My Flexiteek was installed professionally and they sanded the surface smooth.
When I installed the Trakmark, I kept any surface sanding to a minimum.
A couple of weeks ago, I pressure washed all the synthetic teak - yes you can pressure wash synthetic teak.
As usual, the surface of the Flexiteek stayed smooth but the Trakmark/TekDek revealed a rather nice wood feel to the surface.
I haven't noticed this before but I rather like it - more natural than the Flexiteek.

As a user of both, I think the Trackmark/Tek Dek has the edge.

And in comparison to real teak, they are both an improvement - IMHO of course!!

Fredd

Visit site
We got the scrubbed flexiteek on a new extended platform on our Broom 35 and it looks good. It was done 4 years ago now ,the picture is from when it was new . The only issue with it is that after the winter if the stern is in a shaded spot and we get green growth on it it can be hard to get the green out , even with TFR and a power hose , it looks like dark marks in the teak . I was thinking I might try a light sanding on it to see if it will come back to the orgin colour
I’m based in Banagher so not to far from you if you ever want to see it or I can take a few pictures later in the week when I’m down at the boat .
IMG_5502.jpeg

Hurricane

Visit site
We got the scrubbed flexiteek on a new extended platform on our Broom 35 and it looks good. It was done 4 years ago now ,the picture is from when it was new . The only issue with it is that after the winter if the stern is in a shaded spot and we get green growth on it it can be hard to get the green out , even with TFR and a power hose , it looks like dark marks in the teak . I was thinking I might try a light sanding on it to see if it will come back to the orgin colour
I’m based in Banagher so not to far from you if you ever want to see it or I can take a few pictures later in the week when I’m down at the boat .
View attachment 156035
The problem with sanding is that Flexiteek will sand to a smooth finish. If your deck still has surface grain, you might loose it when you sand it.
Also, the colour will probably temporarily change a little where you sand it - it all goes back to the same colour after a few weeks though,

I was going to suggest TFR but it seems that you have already tried it.
On my Flexiteek, I used to use a watered down 50:50 mix of TFR and Screwfix's Degreaser but that probably won't help you.

I've not tried them but Trakmark have 4 cleaning products that they call Deckguard.
One might work for you.
Trakmark TR Product Range - Deck fitting supplies & Marine trade supplies
Here's a link to their lost of products - Deckguard is about halfway down.

ashtead

Visit site
Not certain what TFR is an acronym for but for our Flexiteak use a power hose but with the rotating head attached. If problems in corner areas patio magic works fine to remove green or just normal deck cleaner is fine and we use it anyway for the parts of deck without Flexiteak . Here you can see the Flexiteak deck alongside the real teak capping and g&T seat on the rail.

Attachments

• IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20

Dino

Visit site
Thanks folks. The scrubbed is my favourite at the moment. I think I’ll use the Wessex Teak cleaner and brightener at the weekend and see what the colour is like. I have a tin of Teak Wonder sealant sitting in my garage for the last few years so I might try that to see what it’s like.
Nice job Fredd. Did you get Kieran from Premier Marine Flooring to do it?

Hurricane

Visit site
Thanks folks. The scrubbed is my favourite at the moment. I think I’ll use the Wessex Teak cleaner and brightener at the weekend and see what the colour is like. I have a tin of Teak Wonder sealant sitting in my garage for the last few years so I might try that to see what it’s like.
I still have real teak in the cockpit which I currently clean with Wessex.
If you clean teak properly with Wessex, you can get the old teak looking like new.
I like my decks looking new so, when I did my bathing platform, I matched the Flexiteek (when it was new) to the Flexiteek "Bleached" colour.
And this was the result:

DSC07949.resized.JPG

Only the top step in this photo is real teak - the rest is Flexiteek (Bleached).
Top step was cleaned using Wessex just before that photo was taken.
Since that photo, the Flexiteek now has a "pinkish" tint to it.

If you prefer to not to clean the real teak with Wessex, then I suggest going for the "Weathered" or "Vintage" colours.
Trakmark/TekDek have fewer options.

Fredd

Visit site
No , it was Tom Leonard Marine in Fermanagh . Tom made the new platform he then did a template of that and the steps and sent them off to flexiteek who made up the panels .
I've not tried them but Trakmark have 4 cleaning products that they call Deckguard.
One might work for you.
Trakmark TR Product Range - Deck fitting supplies & Marine trade supplies
Here's a link to their lost of products - Deckguard is about halfway down.
Thanks , I'll order some and give it a try

B42

Visit site
Hi folks,

B42

Visit site
We have a Broom 42CL and in 2019 had Flexiteek 2G put down across decks and in the cockpit. Also followed by the swim platform. Really enhanced the look of the boat, is wonderful underfoot and the Scrubbed colour looks natural enough to have fooled many in the marina. Cleans up well but darkens in heavy use areas. Can be brightened up with a jet wash and August Race do a special synthetic deck cleaner that works well with a magic sponge. Specific marks can be sanded out.

Mr Googler

Visit site
View attachment 156035
Use Patio Magic. It’ll kill the green no issue. Spray and forget.