Fixed VHF Set Recommendations

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Dont know anything about SH, but my Icom, although not dsc is a good unit, I also now have a Cobre dsc to use this season, so will know more about them by oct.

johnalison

Visit site
I'm sure I've said before, there's no substitute for trying out a set in actual use as they've got different operating menus etc. and find one that suits you. I suggest avoiding one that requires you to confirm each entry with "ok" or whatever. If you're just moving into DSC you'll want one that's easy to use.

boatmike

Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I just did a DSC conversion course and some of the sets were a nightmare to use. Icom are certainly good but more expensive than SH which I have just fitted and is really user friendly. In fact I have their 500 chartplotter integrated with AIS and the DSC and it was not only the easiest clearest set of installation instructions I have ever seen but the easiest to use. I really think they have put a great deal of effort into making all controls and menus "instinctive" I have become a fan!

Visit site
In the last few years I have used a Silva S10 DSC, a Silva S15 DSC, an XM DSC and have just received a Standard Horizon GX1500E DSC & CN25 command mike for my brother, I ordered this because of recommendations on this forum.
Most modern radios will do the job, but I agree with posts above, make absolutely sure the controls are easy to use. The two Silvas above both had volume and squelch adjusted by going into a menu, selecting which you want and then using up, up, up or down, down, down to adjust. This type of thing is absolutely useless it make the radio very difficult to use.
George

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I The two Silvas above both had volume and squelch adjusted by going into a menu, selecting which you want and then using up, up, up or down, down, down to adjust. This type of thing is absolutely useless it make the radio very difficult to use.
George

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't agree more. Back in the day I used to use one of those big old Sailor VHF sets with the huge rotary dial and big chunky switches; an absolutely wonderful thing to use, almost perfectly intuitive controls and came complete with an old fashioned telephone handset. Well it was an R/T.

boatmike

Visit site
Actually thats exactly what I meant. I still have one of the old Kelvin Hughes sets with a nice chunky telephone handset. It is still very reliable, user friendly and no buttons to press. 1 knob to change channels, one for squelch. When I did my DSC conversion course the other day they had some of those nightmarish Silva sets. All buttons, no knobs and a menu that was designed by a dyslexic cosmologist. I can just see sending a distress message.... press button a for panic, button b three times if you have forgotten the menu, hold down first button and press second twice to cancel unwanted alarm... I have bought a nice new Standard Horizon which will have the antenna at the mast head to get DSC and must say it is very intuative and easy to use. I can't bring myself to chuck the KH in the bin though so have left it in place with an antenna on the rear arch as a back up. I will have to really bully myself into using the SH though as the KH is so easy. But then I know I am a dinosaur....

ccscott49

Visit site
I like the ICOM units, but I'm out of date, cant stand the older silva DSC sets! You can have mine, free!