First trip on tidal Thames ........ Possibly

blues-n-twos

Visit site
hi all, I'm based at MDL windsor and the weather next week looks good.

I'm thinking of venturing onto the tidal Thames and possibly aim to get to MDL Chatham. I've got a couple of years non tidal experience and currently have a Sealine S23.

I've watched the POL videos on the navigation of the tidal Thames but I'm after any helpful tips on timings, where to stay in London, how long it might take to get to Chatham from windsor.

Cheers :encouragement:

Jon

Murv

Visit site
Loads of threads on here about it, try this link and click on the relevant threads :)

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=..._occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

I've only done it once unaided, and once through from the Medway to WID sp don't really feel qualified to offer any advice!
Just make sure you have plenty of spare fuel filters, the town centre stretch is incredibly lumpy, even in a 40' 10 ton boat.
Is there another boat you could cruise down with? Just wondering if it might be a little intimidating without any previous tidal experience.
Loads of good info in the threads above though, have a read and see what you think.

oldgit

Visit site
Its an excellent first extended trip to cut you teeth on.A little bit more of an adventure when the shore line recedes in to the distance but you will never be out of sight of solid ground.You will experience just about every hazard you are likely to encounter offshore.You will have to watch for larger commercial traffic,ships and tugs and the bumpy wash they generate.You will be forced to talk to the scary VTS people:) on the radio to go through the barrier and keep a wary eye out for the Woolwich Ferry.
Surprisingly you also need to keep an eye on your depth sounder as it is easy to assume that because you are well offshore you will have lots of water under you.
Be prepared to panic a bit,when a bouy you really want to see has vanished,it is there but you need to go a bit further on before it reassuringly pops up on the horizon.
The worse bit of the journey is the fact that much of the scenery is basically dull dull dull.
Your boat should nip along quite nicely and avoid the tedious periods which us slow coaches endure for hours on end.
The journey back will be bit less daunting simply because conditions can only improve as you return back upriver into increasingly more sheltered water.
Enjoy yourself but just watch out for wind.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Check the tide tables as coming throught Isleworth can be tricky at low tide as the channel becomes very narrow and shallow, when approaching central London it is advisable to radio in to London Vts to let them know who you are and where you are going, the houses of Parliament are a no go area so steer well clear, keep your eyes open for floating debris, especially around wandsworth/Putney ( flytipping ! )

No Regrets

Visit site
Join Bray Cruiser Club, we have at least two tidal trips per year, and you have a wealth of experience to draw from, and you'll be cruising in company with people who care.

www.braycruiserclub.co.uk

Why you're in Windsor, when Bray Marina is so much prettier is beyond me though! :encouragement:

pjimd

Visit site
East Coast Pilot is well worth reading in advance. Also recommend reading the pla notices to mariners.
Don't get put off, it's a great trip and your boat boat is quite capable - thoroughly recommend it

No Regrets

Visit site
It's all good fun until something happens. You don't want to be alone on your first trip!

A salutary tale was this weekend when attempting to enter Bray lock on a quiet bit of the upper Thames, when both my engines stalled, and I couldn't engage gear without them stopping again, while we drifted downstream towards other boats, I managed to get one going, and limped back to Bray where craning her out revealed a pair of tents, stiff rod about 1/8 inch thick wrapped around both props.

It took three guys twenty minutes to bolt crop and hacksaw the stuff off. Thanks to Terry's excellent service we were on our way an hour later, with nicked props and a lot of scrapes underneath, but it would have been no fun at all in the pool of London!!

I dived under the boat, but realised it would be impossible to sort it out...

Viking23

Visit site
Heart-stopping moment, yes I've had my engine cutting out too! Once on the approach to a lock, luckily it restarted.
And recently, ahem, my stern line got caught in my prop just after casting off and we drifted halfway across the Thames until I got my anchor deployed! ?. Tilted up the outboard, sounded 4 short blasts to warn other traffic, got it all cleared and was on my way again.
There was an earlier post about anchors on the Thames, mine is always ready! An interesting thought - how many boaters actually understand the basic sound signals? Even on the upper Thames it's needed.

Medskipper

Visit site
Done it many many times, I have always found it best to run with the tide down the river, it saves fuel and time and you will not be slopping around on a high tide when at the Medway. Try and time it so you arrive at the Medway at low tide so you can then carry the incoming tide up the Medway. Enjoy!

blues-n-twos

Visit site
Well I made it :encouragement:

Left teddington at high tide at 6:30am and was at Chatham 6 hours later. I love the Navionics iPad app. Spot on and £44 :encouragement:

Central London was kind even though it was rush hour. Calm waters and very little wind. Once on the other side I opened her up and hit 30 knots :D was great fun and even saw some seals basking on a sand bank. Coasted rest of way at 20 knots and now sat on my boat having a vino in the sunshine.

Tomorrow a trip to Margate and explore some of the creeks on the Medway. Thursday will leave here at low water and catch a ride back to Teddington.

Jon :smile-new::encouragement::encouragement:

Murv

Visit site
Well I made it :encouragement:

Left teddington at high tide at 6:30am and was at Chatham 6 hours later. I love the Navionics iPad app. Spot on and £44 :encouragement:

Central London was kind even though it was rush hour. Calm waters and very little wind. Once on the other side I opened her up and hit 30 knots :D was great fun and even saw some seals basking on a sand bank. Coasted rest of way at 20 knots and now sat on my boat having a vino in the sunshine.

Tomorrow a trip to Margate and explore some of the creeks on the Medway. Thursday will leave here at low water and catch a ride back to Teddington.

Jon :smile-new::encouragement::encouragement:

Fantastic, well done, enjoy the Medway! :encouragement:

Debennut

Visit site
30 knots? Surely that is excessive speed? The lower reaches of the Thames are not the open sea. Could be dangerous to other river users, wildlife and the boat itself, there are large amounts of detritus in the river, hitting a log at that speed could be catastrophic. A fishing net round the prop would take the stern gear out.
Besides it is just anti social!

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Good for you blues-n-twos,well done,you'll never forget your first time:)......and as an added bonus you didn't have to join the BCC and meet No Regrets :encouragement:
Just beware of any friendly men of Kent,they like shiny things:)