First time crossing the English channel?

Wardy

Visit site
Preparing to get our westely Konsort across to Ostend from Woolverstone at Spring break (weather permitting), but it'll be the first time for a journey of this magnitude for us (Crew of two... SWMBO and me).

Any advice would be most welcome, what we should be taking, what precautions we can put in place before sailing or just tips... what to expect. The Nav work doesn't worry me, it's just the length of time sailing that gives me the heebies!

Thanks

SteveW

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Steve,

For starters PM 'Yanita', as he is based at Oostende, but more importantly is arranging a group outing from the East coast across to Oostende over the bank holiday weekend... so you could get some support from that direction without too much trouble, and possibly even a crossing in company....

There is a discussion thread on the Ad hoc on water events forum....

oilyrag

Visit site
Steve
Without wishing to steal Yanita's thunder (above), Orwell yacht club are organising a sponsored rally to Ostend over the spring bank holiday to coincide with the "Oostende voor Anker" maritime festival. There is an open invitation for all Orwell-based boats to join in. Most boats are currently planning to leave Levington/Shotley at 04:30 on 27th May. There is at least one other Konsort signed up. PM me if you want more info.
Mike

FullCircle

Visit site
Steve,
Lynn and I are also going across from Burnham, and will follow a similar track - We will leave Burnham at about 0300 on the 27th .
This will be Lynns first overnight trip. We will be taking another forumite couple.
There are crew available for that weekend if you look on the Ad Hoc Water Events forum under East Coast cruise.

Jim

Sybarite

Visit site
Hi Steve,

Just because you are out of sight of land or it's dark doesn't mean your boat is going to sink. Go and enjoy yourself and keep sharp look out. If fog is forecast I would tend to put your trip off unless you have radar and are comfortable with it.

Bon vent,

John

sailorman

Visit site
we r going over on the 26/05 from the Orwell.
my first trip to Oostende as skipper was 1978 in our 26 footer no vhf, no life raft
( just rubber flubber) no rdf.no autohelm. just log, depth.petrol engine ( Stuart Turner)
family crew. swmbo + 10 yr old son ( holiday trip in july).
the real problem is time of year, May is still fairly early & it can get windy / rough @ times. you can reasonable expect s/w winds. if cruising over u can expect to motor a good percentage of the trip.
we have gone over in a gale & motored back all the way the very next day in September .
as its your first trip i would suggest taking extra crew.
i first went as crew on a good number of trips & this gives an insight of what to expect ( not all highs r good highs as Tom Paxton stated).
if u have a well found vessel + reliable crew & can cope with a 14 hr (average) crossing go 4 it.
no 2 crossings r the same & the very first arrival as skipper of your very own boat is beyond compare, i had fitted out my 26 footer so even more special
if you want to, pm me i am around every w/e on the Orwell
good luck
roger

Salty

Visit site
one good (maybe obvious) beginner tip that I've always kept in the back of my mind is that its easier leaving your home port in the dark than finding a new landfall / harbour entrance in the dark. So I'd make sure you leave early enough on your departure to be absolutely sure of arriving at Ostende in daylight.

kingfisher

Visit site
Do not sail the next day. If it is your first channel crossing, you'll be nackered ( mostly from pointless worrying). Stay in Oostende, enjoy the town, and sail back the third day.