First hurricane possible for the Caribbean

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Our thoughts are with friends whose boat is on the hard in Grenada.

(They are back in Scotland, so personally safe, but their floating home and future dreams lie in the path of the dragon)

I gather the boatyards in Grenada are approved by insurance companies as safe places to leave boats in the hurricane season but jeez - a Cat4 this early in the season.
If that’s Rob & family, we’re in touch with them and it’s a worrying time. Carriacou seems to be right in Beryl’s path. Their boats had hurricane tie downs added in the last few days…

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
@Rum_Pirate has been quiet recently. Would he be affected so sorting, or is he on shore leave ?
Keeping my head down.

I am currently in the stocks for a joke that I posted on the Gags thread that did not meet the Mods approval and am unable to post there how a week or so.
I post this as a warning to you all so that you may be guided.

1719838886577.png

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Current weather here:

1719839131463.png

Expecting a few millimeters of rain between 11 and 6 (4 and 9 UK time).

I send my best wishes to those in Beryl’s path in that they and their property come through OK.

On the selfish side I am in the process of ordering; from St. Vincent; metal roof sheeting to reroof my house.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
I know nothing about the geography and hurricane strategy there. So are you saying that it's possible/recommended to find a bay shallow enough to anchor in, and hole up there? Set more than one anchor?

What aspect bay is best?
Best strategy:

1. Sail out of the hurricanes path asap.

If, not 1 is able

2. Haul out, get put into a hole lined with car tires, have tie downs attached to hull.
Remove as much as you can - sails, solar panels, halyards etc. Preferable to remove mast and secure on the ground safely.

3. If religious - pray.

4. If not religious, be superstitious and cross all fingers, oh and pray.

PS Try not to have your yacht next to yachts with masts up, sails in inadequately secured sail covers and on is on props. If you do make sure that they have space to fall over and not hit you.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Remember;
If a hurricane passes to the north - the winds first come from the north then the WEST then the south.

If a hurricane passes right over you - the winds first come from the north. Then they virtually abruptly stop. Do NOT go out side, this is the ‘eye’. Then the violently come from the south at the top speed.

If a hurricane passes to the south - the winds first come from the north then the EAST then the south.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...What aspect bay is best?
The 'best' place to be is where the hurricane/tropical storm isn't. And with modern forecasting and communications life's a lot easier and safer for we yotties, we can in most cases hoist the anchor and sail elsewhere; you really don't need to be far away from the eye to be secure. Sympathy goes first to the local residents who don't have the option to move out of its path and those with yachts ashore or otherwise out of commission who don't have the opportunity to move; there must be many hundreds of yachts laid up both afloat and ashore in Grenada, Carriacou and St Vincent.

Sea Change

Visit site
If that’s Rob & family, we’re in touch with them and it’s a worrying time. Carriacou seems to be right in Beryl’s path. Their boats had hurricane tie downs added in the last few days…
Yep that'll be us.
Could really do with a break right now. At every opportunity, Beryl has strengthened and tracked further south. The eye should be going right over Carriacou about now.

We knew it was a bit of a dice roll, but it had been 20yrs since Ivan and we only planned to do this once.

On the plus side, when we hauled out, the yard's boat trailer was out of action so they only had the travel hoist to position everybody. Which means huge gaps between us and the next boat. We're also at one edge of the yard with just an access track beside us. There's a tall chain link fence next to that, to our south, which may intercept flying debris. Our mast is off, and we are strapped down. We're also right at the front of the yard, away from the water. On the other hand, we're not insured. But I figured it was a bit of a waste of money because they were unlikely to pay out anyway. And at 10% of boat value per year, it was simply unaffordable.

Definitely going through the emotional wringer just now. I think it will be a miracle if we get away with this. Where did I put that whisky...

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Yep that'll be us.
Could really do with a break right now. At every opportunity, Beryl has strengthened and tracked further south. The eye should be going right over Carriacou about now.

We knew it was a bit of a dice roll, but it had been 20yrs since Ivan and we only planned to do this once.

On the plus side, when we hauled out, the yard's boat trailer was out of action so they only had the travel hoist to position everybody. Which means huge gaps between us and the next boat. We're also at one edge of the yard with just an access track beside us. There's a tall chain link fence next to that, to our south, which may intercept flying debris. Our mast is off, and we are strapped down. We're also right at the front of the yard, away from the water. On the other hand, we're not insured. But I figured it was a bit of a waste of money because they were unlikely to pay out anyway. And at 10% of boat value per year, it was simply unaffordable.

Definitely going through the emotional wringer just now. I think it will be a miracle if we get away with this. Where did I put that whisky...

So unlucky you might just get lucky. Fingers crossed for Aphrodite, meanwhile have a big dram - nothing else you can do right now.

Thinking of all four of you right now.