First channel trip

sch3nk3r

Visit site
Hi
We are planning a trip from sharpness to Cardiff in August. I have a couple of questions.
What sort of time scale for the trip - would you recommend a stop over at portishead
Would you recommend a pilot for the first time
I have purchased the paper charts and will purchase electronic charts for the iPad is there anyone out there who would be willing to help plot a course or give me any tips
I have been boating for around 10 years but always on the river - it is time we entered further a field
Thanks in advance

wotayottie

Visit site
Once out of Sharpness its actually quite an easy trip particularly in a tart trap that I can see in your avatar. You just wont have time issues at 30kn. The channel is quite well marked though you may want to put in waypoints at the places where you take a bend. Dont make the trip when there is a reasonable westerly blowing and a spring ebb tide - you will get thrown about as you go under the bridges. You most certainly dont need to go into Portishead - in your boat and with the tide under you, you should have no trouble getting to Cardiff in one, and you can always get into cardiff anyway.

My only concern would be that I have seen some very badly equipped river only boats - no proper anchor, no decent VHF, no safety kit, even no decent ropes. And your comment about navigating by IPad doesnt reassure me. They are toys. make sure you have a proper waterproof marine GPS.

Who

Visit site
I agree, making Cardiff in one is easy. But visit Portishead and Bristol if you can.

I have an iPad but would never use it as a primary GPS. (Fairly sure only the 3G version has the full more accurate gps chip, whereas the wifi version uses the local cel network and is not so accurate )

Invest in a marine gps plotter especially coming down from sharpness. The Raggies may be able to take the ground but you can't.

Pilot in my opinion is not required IF you have the correct nav gear, but make sure you go in company on the first trip. A GPS map will show you the shipping route and stick to it.

sch3nk3r

Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the comments. I have a gps on board but unfortunately it does not have the SD card in for the bristol channel area. When we were at the London boat show in January the Navionics guy was telling me that the app for the iPad was a good buy. I guess the advice is that I should fork out the the proper SD card. As for the equipment on board thats where we are at the moment getting prepared and making sure the boat is fully prepared.
Cheers

Who

Visit site
He is right, the app is excellent and makes planning from the comfort home so easy. I have it installed on both my iPhone and iPad.

Best to go for an sd card.

Your boat is very capable and I think you will get the bug for the sea once you have tried the channel

Confused if you have a 310 statesman or an ambassador/s28/290/310 etc. picture shows a sport cruiser and info says 310 statesman.

Who

Visit site
A great boat for the channel.

Most weekends there are boaters venturing out of sharpness. Travel in company the first time.

You will get the bug and want to experience the sea every weekend.

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
People were sailing that route long before GPS happened, so I don't think a full-blown chart plotter is essential (although it's nice to have, and I use mine all the the time). It would be perfectly feasible to plan your passage and navigate by paper charts.

There are leading marks all the way from Sharpness to the Second Severn Crossing. Make sure you have identified them all, and use them as you go. From there down to Cardiff you will find you have to plot a compass course and follow that from waypoint to waypoint. There are plenty of buoys to give you visual clues to your location en route. (Usual warning: don't put your waypoint on a buoy and then bump into it!)

Just below the Second Severn Crossing you will encounter the infamous Shoots. The speed of the tidal stream will be irrelevant to you, but it can kick up a bit rough when you get wind against tide. I find that the water is generally smoother (less rough) if I stay close to the cardinal mark rather than the port hand mark.

I use Open CPN for planning, with the worldwide charts that are readily available from Pugwash Software. If you had the same I would happily send you a copy of my route for the said trip.

I also think Navionics on an iPad would be quite a reasonable aid to navigation, even if it is not the definitive answer. I use Navionics on an Android phone as a backup. The screen would be too small to use on the move, but it is eminently readable while sitting at home. Perhaps I could send you a route from that: I don't know, I've never tried.

sch3nk3r

Visit site
Navigation

Hi
Thanks for the comments. I don't think I would have anything compatible with your equipment. I have a Lowrance global map and mac products. Thanks for the offer of sending an example of the way points, if there is anyone else who as a route to share that would be great.
What sort of time are we talking about from Sharpness to Cardiff - couple of hours or more?
Cheers

ash12

Visit site
Make sure you have some long ropes for sharpness, the dock masters there can be very unfriendly sometimes. Also make sure you have the right canal license otherwise they will charge you for one there and then plus the price will depend on how many beers they want at the pub that night. As for time to Cardiff it usually takes us around 3.5 hours at 14knts pushing the tide for half the time, depends on your speed.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
People were sailing that route long before GPS happened, so I don't think a full-blown chart plotter is essential (although it's nice to have, and I use mine all the the time). It would be perfectly feasible to plan your passage and navigate by paper charts.

There are leading marks all the way from Sharpness to the Second Severn Crossing. Make sure you have identified them all, and use them as you go. From there down to Cardiff you will find you have to plot a compass course and follow that from waypoint to waypoint. There are plenty of buoys to give you visual clues to your location en route. (Usual warning: don't put your waypoint on a buoy and then bump into it!)

Just below the Second Severn Crossing you will encounter the infamous Shoots. The speed of the tidal stream will be irrelevant to you, but it can kick up a bit rough when you get wind against tide. I find that the water is generally smoother (less rough) if I stay close to the cardinal mark rather than the port hand mark.

I use Open CPN for planning, with the worldwide charts that are readily available from Pugwash Software. If you had the same I would happily send you a copy of my route for the said trip.

I also think Navionics on an iPad would be quite a reasonable aid to navigation, even if it is not the definitive answer. I use Navionics on an Android phone as a backup. The screen would be too small to use on the move, but it is eminently readable while sitting at home. Perhaps I could send you a route from that: I don't know, I've never tried.

I'm not sure I'd plot a compass course from SSC to Cardiff and just follow that. Height of tide could play havoc with a ground track from one to the other. Different for a planing mobo and a sailing yacht I agree but still I think that idea could do with some qualification for first time Nav.

Cheers

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Hi
Thanks for the comments. I have a gps on board but unfortunately it does not have the SD card in for the bristol channel area. When we were at the London boat show in January the Navionics guy was telling me that the app for the iPad was a good buy. I guess the advice is that I should fork out the the proper SD card. As for the equipment on board thats where we are at the moment getting prepared and making sure the boat is fully prepared.
Cheers

As it requires a SD card I think you have a chart plotter and not a basic GPS. Unless you are comfortable with paper charts and position fixing, I'd definitely suggest getting the relevant cartography for it. I prefer to integrate GPS work with paper charts, but unless you know how to get the core GPS functions out of your plotter without a chart being loaded (I reckon that could be difficult), then just load up what you need and do the trip safely.

Cheers

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
I'm not sure I'd plot a compass course from SSC to Cardiff and just follow that. Height of tide could play havoc with a ground track from one to the other. Different for a planing mobo and a sailing yacht I agree but still I think that idea could do with some qualification for first time Nav.

Not one single compass course from SSC to Cardiff. I did say "from waypoint to waypoint". Off the cuff, I think I would probably use at least six waypoints to cover that route, and of course the tidal adjustment would be different for each one.

single

Visit site
Have you got radar? If so its just dot to dot all the way down and the racon is a good target.Even without, there are so many buoys its very easy.

RobF

Visit site
Personally I would be quite happy with the Navionics iPad app and a recent copy of the Bristol Channel charts (SC5608). This would probably be the cheapest solution.

Make sure you do your research (e.g. you know the VHF channel and 'call sign' for Cardiff Barrage). Have you worked out where you will be staying once you're into Cardiff bay.

Finally, I'm assuming your boat has a depth sounder on it?

sch3nk3r

Visit site
Personally I would be quite happy with the Navionics iPad app and a recent copy of the Bristol Channel charts (SC5608). This would probably be the cheapest solution.

Make sure you do your research (e.g. you know the VHF channel and 'call sign' for Cardiff Barrage). Have you worked out where you will be staying once you're into Cardiff bay.

Finally, I'm assuming your boat has a depth sounder on it?

I was thinking of staying at one of the marinas. Either cardiff marina or Penarth. Is there an alternative? What sort of costs are there to staying in the marina?