Fickering Masthead Anchor light

Rafiki

Visit site
A couple of years ago when the mast was down for rigging replacement I replaced the bulb in the Anchor Light with an LED sold for that specific purpose. This season I have noticed that the bulb is noticeably flickering. When switched on it is OK for maybe 5 minutes, but then the flickering starts. Any ideas why this is , and what can be done about it? I fear a trip up the mast may be required, which I certainly don't fancy.
Interestingly two of the interior retrofit LED's exhibit the same behaviour - but I just dont bother to use those ceiling lights.

Neeves

Visit site
A couple of years ago when the mast was down for rigging replacement I replaced the bulb in the Anchor Light with an LED sold for that specific purpose. This season I have noticed that the bulb is noticeably flickering. When switched on it is OK for maybe 5 minutes, but then the flickering starts. Any ideas why this is , and what can be done about it? I fear a trip up the mast may be required, which I certainly don't fancy.
Interestingly two of the interior retrofit LED's exhibit the same behaviour - but I just dont bother to use those ceiling lights.
Common problem. Sometimes if you leave the LED array switched on it self rectifies but its not dependable

I think its a trip up the mast, laking with you the old bulb, which presumably worked and you kept 'just in case'. Replace bulb with old one, if it flickers you have an electrical problem - if its a bright steady light - you need a new LED bulb.

Ideally you want someone on deck to switch the bulbs on and off other wise you will need multiple ascents. :(

Jonathan

noelex

Visit site
It is likely that there is a high resistance somewhere in the circuit
With this fault the LED initially has a normal voltage, but as it draws current the voltage drops.

When the voltage drops below the minimum level to power the LED, it will turn off. As the LED is not illuminated the voltage will rise causing the LED to start up again.

The net result is a rapid flickering of the LED. The solution is to eliminate the poor connection.

William_H

Visit site
It is likely that there is a high resistance somewhere in the circuit
With this fault the LED initially has a normal voltage, but as it draws current the voltage drops.

When the voltage drops below the minimum level to power the LED, it will turn off. As the LED is not illuminated the voltage will rise causing the LED to start up again.

The net result is a rapid flickering of the LED. The solution is to eliminate the poor connection.
Sorry can't accept that explanation. Yes what you describe happens but instantaneously such that brightness of LED will settle to steady.
The LED bulb may be of a type with sophisticated electronic current control. Indicated by it's suitability for 24v or 12v. In this case thwere may be a fault in the control which emerges when it gets warm. Likewise the cabin lights. However the primative common resistive current control types would be much less likely to vary with temperature /time.
I would suggest a volt meter (multimeter) connected to the power source for anchor light in such a way that you can monitor voltage when it is flickering. This may indicate or eliminate wiring problem at cabin level. (I don't suppose flickering is caused when fridge cuts in or water pump cuts in.)
Don't go up mast. Just get a temprary anchor light to hoist up halyard when anchored. Fix when mast is down. Fix may involve replacing wiring and LED lamp. ol'will

Ostara24

Visit site
I had the same problem, I left it to rectify its self, eventually it failed to come on at all. A trip to the mast top revealed that the fitting was full of water!

I would get up there and check it out, loose wire or water ingress possible. good luck.

Neeves

Visit site
I had assumed that it was the bulb at fault unless you have been choice/maintaining wiring and this is a fault that has developed with time (or age)

Mast climbing should not be a chore, though William's solution is neat - should you know the mast will come out soon. If you follow William's suggestion don't look to a temporary light - get a permenant one to hoist up in the foretriangle and focus on one that illuminates the surroundings and also lights up the foredeck. The latter makes your yacht more easily seen and lights the deck should you need to go forward.

Jonathan

Rafiki

Visit site
Sorry can't accept that explanation. Yes what you describe happens but instantaneously such that brightness of LED will settle to steady.
The LED bulb may be of a type with sophisticated electronic current control. Indicated by it's suitability for 24v or 12v. In this case thwere may be a fault in the control which emerges when it gets warm. Likewise the cabin lights. However the primative common resistive current control types would be much less likely to vary with temperature /time.
I would suggest a volt meter (multimeter) connected to the power source for anchor light in such a way that you can monitor voltage when it is flickering. This may indicate or eliminate wiring problem at cabin level. (I don't suppose flickering is caused when fridge cuts in or water pump cuts in.)
Don't go up mast. Just get a temprary anchor light to hoist up halyard when anchored. Fix when mast is down. Fix may involve replacing wiring and LED lamp. ol'will
Thanks Ole Will, yes last time anchored I reverted to a batterry camping light, which works fine.

Rafiki

Visit site
Thanks all, next week I will check all connections at the cabin panel level. After that I may have to find a monkey prepared to go up the mast !

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I'm good to go, or come, and its a bit chilly here, just send me the ticket and details of the hotel accomodation and I'll be with you in about 36 hours. :)

Jonathan
Not far off "Brass monkey weather" here either :rolleyes: As for problem. a flickering LED usually means that it is starting to fail. Expect to have to change it but do make sure all the connections and other suggestions regarding ingress of water etc. are checked.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
As for problem. a flickering LED usually means that it is starting to fail. Expect to have to change it but do make sure all the connections and other suggestions regarding ingress of water etc. are checked.
+1, all leds I had went dead some time after having begun flickering, even those of a powerful and quite expensive torchlight with supposedly high quality leds :(