Feeling a little jaded.

tinkicker0

Visit site
Dunno why or how. Just don't seem to be able to find the time or enthusiasm to get to the boat this season.
Been out once for a couple of hours and stopped overnight maybe 3 nights all year. Either other activities vying for our leisure time like painting the house ect :(, or weekend weather not up to snuff - usually too much wind to leave the berth and get back in safely on a weekend. Work matters ensure I am absolutely shattered every evening and weekend and if it wasn't for liberal doses of Arabica Beans I would be in bed by 7pm every night.

Was going to go tonight, but the weather is less than perfect again with wind and cloud cover. Huddled under a canvas camper cover all evening until bed time does not appeal.

Had the boat for 6 years now, is this the time where boredom starts to set in and it's time to sell up, or does anyone else feel like this? Others I speak to feel the same tiredness around these parts.

Certainly not getting any value for money this season at all, due to poor weather the boat did not go in till near the end of May (usually in by March) and is due to come out when the BW licence runs out in September.

2 engine hours all season. That's a new record - usually on a bad year it is around 25 -30 hours.

Anyone else have a bad season like this now and again when you can't be arsed?

Last edited:

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Sounds like you turned your life into a self screwing cycle. Nothing will improve until you make the effort to improve it. So, in simple terms if you're not enjoying your boat then sell up and invest in stamp collecting, or make a concentrated effort to do something exciting and risky.
Ps living on caffeine does not help, neither does alcohol. Trust me on this one.

rwilson

Visit site
You seem to have lost your mojo! The weather has been good this year, particularly compared to last. Why not take a few days off, plan a trip and just enjoy what you have. There's still plenty of the season left.

tinkicker0

Visit site
Sounds like you turned your life into a self screwing cycle. Nothing will improve until you make the effort to improve it. So, in simple terms if you're not enjoying your boat then sell up and invest in stamp collecting, or make a concentrated effort to do something exciting and risky.
Ps living on caffeine does not help, neither does alcohol. Trust me on this one.

Indeed. Circumstances dictate that I have to be up for work at 5am every weekday morning and flat out all day to meet very tight and often unrealistic deadlines in the interest of customer expectations. Of course this means that I am waking up at 5am on a weekend too.

2 years of this cycle is taking its toll, I'm not getting any younger.

Maybe it's time to look for something else with more normal hours. Only work 45 hours a week on average but the early starts and a 60 mile a day commute are killing me.

I do get my mojo back after a day or two when on leave and thoroughly enjoyed those 2 hours out on the boat. The enthusiasm gained failed to last the first week back at work though.

Was hoping for a few to say they were feeling the same or have gone through the same at one point and come out the other end rejuvinated though. Must just be me.

Last edited:

SailorBill

In a world of my own where you lot can't find me
Visit site
Was hoping for a few to say they were feeling the same or have gone through the same at one point and come out the other end rejuvinated though. Must just be me.

Yes I've been though similar (worse actually but I don't particularly want to compare notes). It was due to fatigue brought on by having to regularly get up at ridiculous o'clock to get to work at various sites around the UK, do a full day's work and drive home again ready for the same the next day. Five days a week of that and I was a zombie at weekends. I knew I needed to find another job but didn't have the energy to even do that. In the end I resigned, took a couple of months off and then found another job closer to home with normal hours. Less well paid but I had a life again. We only have one life and money isn't everything.

CoVianna

Visit site
My job involves similar. 100 mile a day round commute. Tired when I get home. Hence my thread a while back about resigning while not having another job to go to.

I sold my boat a while back as too tired, couldn't be bothered etc. BUT I miss it and looking for a new boat seems to have reinvigorated me.

Still need a job nearer home though.

SailorBill

In a world of my own where you lot can't find me
Visit site
My job involves similar. 100 mile a day round commute. Tired when I get home. Hence my thread a while back about resigning while not having another job to go to.

I sold my boat a while back as too tired, couldn't be bothered etc. BUT I miss it and looking for a new boat seems to have reinvigorated me.

Still need a job nearer home though.

A 100 mile round trip commute would have been an easy day. I had to get up at 3.00am some days to get to Newcastle for 8. It wasn't much different when I had to go to Street, Somerset or Maidstone. It was well paid but I had no life. In the end the money didn't compensate enough.

My advice: get a job nearer to home first, while you have the energy. Then look for another boat.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Yes, can relate to that! Went self employed 2003, son came along in 2004, mother passed away in 2005. Moved house early 2005 to look after Mum under very difficult circumstances and we're only just recovering financially. The boat was a bit of escape and a family thing for us, but being on a shoestring has created much more stress than perhaps it cured :rolleyes: Went back to being employed in 2011 to cut down travel and get off the excessive work spiral (80+ hours a week), but retained some of the more flexible self-employed work to prevent a fiscal shock (poor wages in this part of the world). As Junior has got older, things have become easier and although we both still work 50+ hours, the pressure is getting less as finances improve. There will come a time when you can unwind and I'd say that if a work opportunity comes up with less hours/miles that you can afford to take then do! Commuting is dead time and unless your hourly rate covers that time then work closer for less where possible. Personal time really is essential and I've found it takes a few years of 'normality' to catch up and alleviate that continual exhaustion. If you're anything like us the the boat is your R&R/holiday and if the weathers rubbish, you tend to go without any. We've not done much boating this year either, but have progressed other things - essential DIY to stop windows falling out and painted outside as having these jobs hanging over you spoil the few enjoyment you do have when you come home to them. The crux is perhaps do you still enjoy the boat when you do have time and it's all working? Chin up anyway and hope you rediscover your Mojo soon :cool:

Last edited:

Houleaux

Visit site

I think I know where you are. I've had a job with 0530 leaving home, 50 mile drive and then lucky to be back by 1830. At least one night a week working until 2200. Plus occasional weekends and night shifts.

I found another job and, wow, what a difference! I hope you find the same.

In the interim, perhaps you should make the effort to get down to the boat? Sometimes I don't feel that enthused, but I'm always glad I've gone when I do.

So I think it's fair to say that I've gone through the same at one point and come out the other end rejuvenated. Hope things work out for you too.

AndieMac

Visit site
When was the last time you had a routine medical check-up TK? You could be deficient in something making you feel this way, it doesn't take too much to tilt the health balance of a middle aged boater.

Garold

Visit site
Given the often significant cost of boating, I'm sure that working long hours to make sure that the boat budget is fulfilled is a common affliction on this forum.

Some weekends I have felt a similar unwillingness to pack a bag and set off to the boat perhaps at 9-10pm. It's just not what I always want to do at the end of a long workday.

But the wife somehow retains more energy than me and she always encourages action and would never let knackeredness be an excuse for missing out on doing anything.

And she's right. Because never once have I regretted making the journey to the boat. Even when it's been rubbish weather.

It's like an escape from normal life. And even mooching aboard in rainy blowy weather is more replenishing than sitting at home, 'recovering' from work. Or any house jobs.

I think that 'feeling knackered' cant be an excuse for not going to the boat. Otherwise, work has taken over the weekends too.

But equally, if the boating bug has definitely escaped you, it would be silly to carry the expense and aggravation of boat ownership if you aren't getting some appropriate value. If you get rid of the boat, it is possible to replace later.

As for the job, it's not always easy to get a perfect fit these days.

Good luck.

Cheers

Garold

tinkicker0

Visit site
Thanks all.

I think it is fatigue and I have boxed myself into a corner. Going to have to have a chat with the MD who I get on with very well. Trouble is I am always driven to do my very best and the MD is the kind of chap that needs a job doing in 10 hours, so you pull all the stops out and achieve it, then he wants it in 9 hours, so you absolutely kill yourself to achieve it, so next time he wants it in 8 hours....and the circle continues.

Must admit I am starting to resent him for it a little. Others cruise and get away with it, but because I am flexible and customer orientated........the pressure is piled on, much of it self inflicted I suppose. Don't like to fail or let the side down.

David of Essex

Visit site
I believe it comes to all at some time in our lives. Time to evaluate your life style, ''live to work or work to live'', seems silly to work your nuts off only to die early. Check your health, diet, exercise. The old saying a little and often come to mind. You are entitled to enjoy life.
David

beejay190

Visit site
I didn't take up boating until I stopped work when I was 55. I don't think I could have done justice to a boat before then what with domestic and work pressures. Now I am as busy as ever with hobbies and leisure activities. But no pressure, deadlines, targets - I just do what I want when I want. Its wonderful.

It must be difficult to walk away from a job/career in these difficult economic times. Maybe you can plan a Lifestyle change within the next (say) 5 years - if not sooner.

Greg2

Visit site
Been there and got the T-shirt as have one or two people I know.

We have been boating for years and on occasions we have felt a little jaded about it. Can't put my finger on the precise reasons why but it was probably a combination of successive weekends/seasons of bad weather meaning our cruising plans were routinely disrupted, electrical and mechanical issues with the boat meaning that much time was spent in the engine bay and possibly wanting to do something else on occasion as we tend to spend all our spare time on the boat. One season after a particularly bad bout of poor weather during a Holland cruise, where we had to leave the boat and return to collect it the following week, we don't speak to the boat for a month!!!

The backdrop to this was an extremely demanding job (hours, pressure, 24/7 call and responsibility way beyond what most would experience), which whilst it might not have helped at times probably wasn't the cause. In fact the boat was my escape and was what kept me on the level as it was proper downtime with family and friends. Even working on it was a complete change, which was undoubtedly good for me.

Thing is we always got over it and being without a boat was far worse than any of the 'downturns'. This was clearly illustrated when we sold our last boat with the intention of buying a yacht to go sailing. We ended up boatless for a season and I really missed it....not just the social life but also just spending time aboard. That said being without a boat was helpful in confirming that we really wanted a motor boat!!

Obviously we are all different so not sure if my story is of any help. It sounds as though work is the primary issue for you though so if I were to go as far as offering any advice it would probably be not to think the boat is the issue.....it is your escape and can help as an antidote for a demanding work life in my experience.