Fed up with UV strip on my Genny

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
When I replace the strip, can I omit the rain vents and sow up the lower edge of the panel? - the current design looks destined to fail after a very short time.

I've never had a UV strip with 'rain vents' and never had any problem with rain getting inside. I think most of my UV strips have had a 'lazy' zig-zag across the UV strip to prevent it ballooning.

Refueler

Visit site
The strip panels on my five year old Elvstrom have ripped to hell - not due to UV (in the UK - ha!) ... but rips propagating from the raw cut and unstitched edge of the cloth on the bottom of the panels to let rainwater out. Asked Elvstrom about it, their answer being that at five years, I should expect them to fail. That doesn't sound very long to me, and from reading the posts above. Also, the strip looked terrible under sail, as the wind blows into the rain vents and inflates the entire leech like a balloon. Rubbish. When I replace the strip, can I omit the rain vents and sow up the lower edge of the panel? - the current design looks destined to fail after a very short time.

As far as I can see .... all mine have been stitched all round ... no vents ... no water under ...

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I appreciate it may be a hassle finding a sailmaker to replace the sacrificial UV strip if in an out of the way place. But I would have thought any tent maker or whatever with an industrial sewing machine could put on a UV strip.

Get out your needle and palm and do it by hand to while away those long winter evenings. By the time you've done a few lengths of the perimeter of your genoa you should have developed a reasonably even stitch. ;)

srm

Visit site
When I replace the strip, can I omit the rain vents and sow up the lower edge of the panel?
"Rain vents"? Sounds like an excuse for poor stitching.
I have not sailed on a boat with Elvestrom sails so may be maligning them, but have used a number of other sailmaker's furling headsails and their UV strips were securely sewn without gaps.

Get out your needle and palm and do it by hand to while away those long winter evenings.

Replacing a UV strip is not advanced sail making and is DIY doable with a domestic machine that will take the larger sized needles (100 or 110) as it has only to sew the two or three layers of cloth that is required for most of the work. Must admit to resorting to adhesive and hand stitching over the heavy reinforcing patches though. The biggest problem is feeding the sail through the machine and keeping a reasonably straight line. I prefer a hand cranked machine, slower but more accurate.

Last edited:

Major Tom

Visit site
Thanks. I think I'll just sew up the rain vents (and the resulting rips). The cloth is fine.

Yes, it was a strange design - a gap in the stitching of about 6" at the bottom of each panel, which they confirmed was a rain vent. So of course, the stitching and cloth gets overloaded and rips, starting from the edge of the unsupported bare cut cloth.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think that applying a UV strip possibly depends a little on the sail cloth
I have not considered it before but if one had a sunbrella type material( or whatever is used, I do not know) & it is stitched to the leech of a soft dacron sail , it seems to me that the leech needs to be placed under some tension first.
In use , to windward, the leech will stretch a little. But if the UV strip does not then a slight baggyness must surely appear just before the strip.
I would have guessed- But it is only a guess.- that the 2 need to be matched in tension. It is OK if they both stretch the same, but will a new strip over an old sail do so.
Then there is the question of the leech line & flutter. What happens when the strip is placed on the leech & it does not stretch the same as the sail? Does it form a hook.
If it is an old sail, the stitching may be Ok, but the thing will have stretched out of all proportion. Then it will not be an issue. But if it is a decent one, it might matter
Any opinion, or is it of no consequence?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I have replaced it 2x in the time I have had the boat .... ok that's well over 25yrs.

But I have noted that the UV strip has got thinner and more fragile since the old days .....

My UV strip took a 'hit' last year when furling gear fouled and sail flogged .... its now with many splits ......

I am seriously considering just removing the strip and not replacing. But boy - that's a lot of stitching to remove !!

I also have another genny I can try ... that has no strip at all ... its from my race boat I old in Tallinn .... just have to make sure about luff fits the groove.

Anyone else noticed UV strip changes ???
Sounds like it's doing its job. Lot cheaper to replace the UV strip when it degrades due to err... UV damage than the sail.

Refueler

Visit site
Sounds like it's doing its job. Lot cheaper to replace the UV strip when it degrades due to err... UV damage than the sail.

When sail was with Sailmaker - he said it was a very good condition sail ..... but what now under that shredded UV ?? I do expect to find some damage .... that I can deal with myself. But I do not feel inclined to spend out on another UV strip ....

srm

Visit site
When sail was with Sailmaker - he said it was a very good condition sail ..... but what now under that shredded UV ?? I do expect to find some damage .... that I can deal with myself. But I do not feel inclined to spend out on another UV strip ....
I am finding it very difficult to understand your reasoning. If you can deal with any damage yourself I would assume that you are also able to fit a new sacrificial strip to preserve the sail. In fact a new sacrificial strip could support any damage under the shredded one and extend the life of the sail.
However, as always, it's your sail and your call.

Refueler

Visit site
I am finding it very difficult to understand your reasoning. If you can deal with any damage yourself I would assume that you are also able to fit a new sacrificial strip to preserve the sail. In fact a new sacrificial strip could support any damage under the shredded one and extend the life of the sail.
However, as always, it's your sail and your call.

I am fully able to stitch a small area ... but applying a full sacrificial strip is a bit more than I care to undertake.

My reasoning ? We are all individuals and what I may find acceptable - others may not. I am willing to lower and raise my genny instead of replacing the strip .....

There are other factors ......

I have 3 bridges to get under from home mooring to harbour / sea. With genny off the furler - the total weight of mast and furler to lower / raise is reduced - it may not seem much - but it makes a difference. Also that sail is not risking any damage during such operation ...

Many people literally leave and forget their furler gear ... not uncommon to then hear someone commenting that their furler is 'getting a bit stiff' ..... I know mine does !! If I lower / raise more often - then that would give opportunities to service swivels / haulers etc.

As I say - my reasoning appears sound in my mind. Maybe later I might look at a new strip .... big maybe !!

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
I understand now, thanks, it obviously makes sense for you. I was thinking of the more usual headsail left on the furler for the whole season. Depending on your type of sailing and how much time you spend to seaward of the bridges hank on headsails may make more sense than the furler. They make hoisting and lowering the sail a lot easier than feeding it into the furler groove or having the whole sail loose on the foredeck when dropped as there is less friction and the luff stays attached to the forestay. I am always concerned that my furler may get dented or bent whenever I have to slacken or let the forestay go for lifting the boat.

srm

Visit site
But having Furler when I'm cruising, whether its the deep wide river or past the bridges - makes for convenience.
Probably why most of us have them.

My skippered charter yacht had hank on sails. Two guys sailing with me would award themselves a drink for each sailchange, taken at anchor at the end of the day. Heading north up the Sound of Mull against a squally headwind they stopped counting as the number of drams to be taken became excessive.

Refueler

Visit site
4AheutXl.jpg

Weather quietened down and I took opportunity to remove sail and bring in .... laid out in my 3rd floor area of my workshop.

So now she's drying out and will be inspected closely next days.

Originally loft area was to be storage - but with the loft ladder access and my back - its used to lay out various such as when I was cutting Van Lining to replace Foam Backed Vinyl in forecabin. Later I will be replacing main cabin lining ...

Refueler

Visit site
Looks like weather cooling down again ... nip in the air .... forecast does indicate a freeze on its way ...

Sort of makes me consider log fires and a wee dram !!

Likelihood is actually a trip to Dubai next week ... so Genny will wait a while.

William_H

Visit site
Funny you mention hanked on sails .......... at odd times - I have thought about removing the furler and reverting to hanked on ...
Around our club out of 20 odd boats I can think of only one or 2 with furler. The club in effect requires every one to race their boats. (participation to keep a marina berth)
What is really noticeable is how poorly the boats with furlers sail to windward compared to boats with hank on jibs. (Of correct size for the conditions.) We get in summer a lot of 18 knot winds and our courses always end with a beat up (wind) the river to finish. I would never consider a furler for my 21fter. I can usually guess at wind strength before departure or if necessary change sails during race. (race is usually 2 hrs) I carry 4 jibs. After a recent race I am considering a no 5 even smaller.
Sailed in 20 knots last Friday evening. (I had no 4 and 2 reefs) Against a friend in a 32 fter with furler. He got right away from us going down wind but on return leg with deeply furled jib he just could not do well against wind. ol'will

dunedin

Visit site
Around our club out of 20 odd boats I can think of only one or 2 with furler. The club in effect requires every one to race their boats. (participation to keep a marina berth)
What is really noticeable is how poorly the boats with furlers sail to windward compared to boats with hank on jibs. (Of correct size for the conditions.) We get in summer a lot of 18 knot winds and our courses always end with a beat up (wind) the river to finish. I would never consider a furler for my 21fter. I can usually guess at wind strength before departure or if necessary change sails during race. (race is usually 2 hrs) I carry 4 jibs. After a recent race I am considering a no 5 even smaller.
Sailed in 20 knots last Friday evening. (I had no 4 and 2 reefs) Against a friend in a 32 fter with furler. He got right away from us going down wind but on return leg with deeply furled jib he just could not do well against wind. ol'will
Yes, but for the 32 footer with the furling jib (1) did it have a foam luff? (2) was it flat panels, tri radial, or 3D moulded? (3) What was the sail material? (4) How old was the sail?
LOTS of cruiser racers sail very fast with jibs on furlers these days. Arcona, X Yachts etc generally use furlers - ans do IMOCA racers. And if bigger than 21 foot, maybe 40foot, big hassle changing sails.

Refueler

Visit site

I know what you say ..... over years I have raced and seen same - even when others have their furled foresails cut / designed for the job. It is always a compromise in my mind.

Here's my Saaremaa Race boat stomping past the competition to win not only on Handicap but also actual first over the line, for that very reason .... (photo taken from a Carter 30 setup purely for Racing) ....

5RFtffe.png

Interesting dragging out that photo ... I had forgotten that genny sheets had a block and pendant to alter genny sheets ... the pendant passing through the traveller - not the sheets. Its what I need on present boat to solve the sheeting angle.

But present boat is a pure cruiser heavy ... so its convenience rather than speed.

I took down the sail as seen in earlier post ... took only a few minutes incl putting into the bag. I accept that hoisting will be longer ... but so far I am willing to do that. Maybe after a few ups / downs - I may change my mind. I may even consider removing the furler as I have a bunch of hank sails from having sold my race boat ...

Refueler

Visit site
Started to strip the UV of the sail .... what a job ... the UV is no trouble - its so light and tears easily - even on the 'good parts' - but the edge in the sail where its a single zigzag stitch ...... its glued as well .. and boy does that glue hold. The outer edges of leech - having had chafe and hard life - gives up easy.

GFFwFGil.jpg

Those were tapes to hold it for a couple of outings on river .... but shows how damaged it was ...

pDUBthQl.jpg

h84yurzl.jpg

You can see the glue line it leaves behind ....

Couple of small areas where glue is so difficult and you cannot get an edge - my scalpel has caught the sail. Luckily only small and can be easily repaired with sail tape and stitching.

I'm amazed at the grubbiness under the UV ... I don't think a sailmaker would be happy to have such on his 'cutting floor' ...

The UV along the foot is still good .. well yes its old and tired but has only slight ... so I may use sail tape and leave that.

RShxcPjl.jpg

What I am not so pleased about - is the glue line left up the sail ... its really on and I tried various to shift it ... and its still got some slight tack to it ...

Measured up my Race boat sails ... either too big or too small ..... was hoping for similar luff but shorter foot ...