Fed up with UV strip on my Genny

Daydream believer

Visit site
Halyard hoists sail up furling gear as usual ... a second lighter line via a small block on mast front is also connected to halyard swivel. Hoist sail by the two lines .... halyard made up hard as usual .... lighter line as you see in picture is at good angle to furler and made up tight to stop halyard wrap.

It is an actual recc'd system if 'doughnuts / bent shackle' fails to stop wrap.
Why do you not just use one halyard & take that through a mast aligner? That is what I do & it works- Or has done until now, but I have just had a new furler fitted so knowing my luck :rolleyes: :confused:.I have a dynema covering spliced in over the last 600mm of halyard for additional protection.

As a comment aside-Your second line looks as if it is a little low down & must restrict the length of sail luff that you can have. An aligner on the mast, just above the top of the foil would surely be better. Especially when swopping sails. If you have to go under bridges & hoist & drop the mast ( I think that you said that they were an issue) hoisting & lowering sails must be a nuisance with 2 lines.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Why do you not just use one halyard & take that through a mast aligner? That is what I do & it works- Or has done until now, but I have just had a new furler fitted so knowing my luck :rolleyes: :confused:.I have a dynema covering spliced in over the last 600mm of halyard for additional protection.

As a comment aside-Your second line looks as if it is a little low down & must restrict the length of sail luff that you can have. An aligner on the mast, just above the top of the foil would surely be better. Especially when swopping sails. If you have to go under bridges & hoist & drop the mast ( I think that you said that they were an issue) hoisting & lowering sails must be a nuisance with 2 lines.

Because the boat came with a genny that is short on luff and the angle created by 'diverter / doughnut' is insufficient to stop wrap.

This second line works - so why would I want to change it ??

I have shown this to others who have had wrap problems ... simple solution and solved THEIR wraps as well.

ITS A RECC"D SYSTEM in fact when other methods fail.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think you’ve hit on why he uses 2 halyards. You could do it with one in the right place, but then, if it ain’t broke.,,,
I understand that comment. But personally- & this is only my opinion- I like a neat rig. I see various solutions to things like 3rd reef, Spinnaker pole set ups, barber haulers on ST jibs That people post as "solutions" on forums . Some of them look as if the people must have learned by playing cats cradle when they were kids.
I would never have that system. But refueller may have had an issue arise & had to solve it on the quick. Then finding it work he has left it as such. Like you say, If it ain't broke.
But things can often be tidied up.
When I refurbished my second Stella, from a bare hull, I rigged it myself & felt highly satisfied.- having had my first (new) Stella rigged by Tucker Brown .
Then I saw a Stella that had been professionally set up by Rig Magic Ltd & realised how much I had got wrong. - One can often look at something & not see it for looking.

Refueler

Visit site
I think you’ve hit on why he uses 2 halyards. You could do it with one in the right place, but then, if it ain’t broke.,,,

Its actually not a pain to work the two lines at all .... all I do is do hoisting with the halyard and take in slack with the second lighter line. Once hoisted - halyard is hardened up as usual ... lighter line tensioned and made off on its own cleat at mast base. Difference in hoist / lowering time ?? Barely measureable. BUT I know I can rely on the system.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Because the boat came with a genny that is short on luff and the angle created by 'diverter / doughnut' is insufficient to stop wrap.

This second line works - so why would I want to change it ??

I have shown this to others who have had wrap problems ... simple solution and solved THEIR wraps as well.

ITS A RECC"D SYSTEM in fact when other methods fail.
Bit of an overlap--You replied whilst i was printing :rolleyes:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’m with you, DDB, in spite of it being easy, and I do believe you, refueller, I wouldn’t do it because it’s not ‘perfect’. I just have to know that I’m 100% happy, even if it’s merely cosmetic.

Refueler

Visit site
Fine .... just don't ignore fact that its actually a recc'd solution when others fail ...

My Furler is 'ancient' - no doubt needs to be stripped and cleaned / lub'd ...... but I would still have this two line system based on the sails previous guy had made for the boat ...

billskip

Visit site
If it’s like a sock on a chickens leg, it’s going to flog. Jib covers need lacing.
Yes I agree with you the fitting is important , I have an interest in this, this is why I ask, it's all to common for things to be condemned because of an individual's theories.
I have just done a Google search and found a lot of suppliers so I will start asking them.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The thing that you have to remember is that it is a 2 person task hoisting a laced cover. Unless one can find a way of hoisting the halyard, whilst keeping tension on the laces & lining up the cover.
I can do mine alone but it’s laborious. Much quicker and easier with one on the foredeck and one on the halyard.

They are a simple and generic thing, luff length is the only variable really.

Refueler

Visit site
The thing that you have to remember is that it is a 2 person task hoisting a laced cover. Unless one can find a way of hoisting the halyard, whilst keeping tension on the laces & lining up the cover.

Sorry to smile .... but just thinking about posts about my two line anti-wrap system !!!

Which is no problem to single hand ......

Daydream believer

Visit site
Sorry to smile .... but just thinking about posts about my two line anti-wrap system !!!
Which is no problem to single hand ......
Which is why I have UV strip. Plus I have no problem with it wearing out, because I change the jib every few years anyway ( 5 in 20 years)
Cannot understand how anyone can sail with something 19 years old. Perhaps it is being used as a tarpaulin :unsure:

Refueler

Visit site
Which is why I have UV strip. Plus I have no problem with it wearing out, because I change the jib every few years anyway ( 5 in 20 years)
Cannot understand how anyone can sail with something 19 years old. Perhaps it is being used as a tarpaulin :unsure:

I would suggest that we stay well inside the acceptable line please. Silly comments are not appreciated.

The sails on my boat are well over 19yrs - but having had them checked by sailmaker two years ago - verdict was literally good as new other than being 'grubby' ... and shot UV strip.

The boat is a motor sailer and Brian - prev owner - had Crusader Sails cut the sails in heavy cloth for 'relaxed' cruising ....

I'm not so admiring of the sails he asked for - but they do the job. I have other sails in my store from my race boat - but so far have had no inkilng to try them.

Stemar

Visit site
There's a world of difference between the life of a sail on a racing boat with a young fit crew and on a cruiser sailed by Grandma and Granddad who reduce sail when the boat heels a bit. Grandma and Granddad probably don't mind the sail being a bit below par to windward, as that's what the engine's for, rather than thrashing upwind with the sheets bar tight

Refueler

Visit site
There's a world of difference between the life of a sail on a racing boat with a young fit crew and on a cruiser sailed by Grandma and Granddad who reduce sail when the boat heels a bit. Grandma and Granddad probably don't mind the sail being a bit below par to windward, as that's what the engine's for, rather than thrashing upwind with the sheets bar tight

Thank you ...

I may not be young ... but I do like to get her 'sailing' .... I have pushed her to 7.5kts sail only .... but usually its a combo of relaxed sailing + engine to maintain a steady 5kts regardless .....

ZvrluH5l.jpg

Now this is bliss .....

s2N1a8dl.jpg

Pity about sheet angle on genny - but that's fault of the traveller .... one day I may sort it ...

LR5IADTl.jpg

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Your sail is as old as my boat! It doesn't look terrible in the photos, I have to say. We are just replacing a 6 year old jib, but it's had relatively little use. On the XOD, we might use 3 sets a year, maybe not 3 kites. There's always a new jib and a good used main in reserve for Cowes week. Racing is a different mindset.