Fawley Chimney Demolition

prv

Visit site
I reckon heavy rain will just help contain the dust. A wind limit seems more plausible, but I’ve no idea if one actually applies.

Pete

bdh198

Visit site
I'm quite glad I didn't make the effort to watch it from anchor. From the images being posted on various sites, unless we had been in very close proximity to Calshot we wouldn't have seen anything! I did venture to the top of Portsdown Hill but that proved to be a waste of time, although I was surprised how many other people had also ignored the inclement weather and poor visitibility at sunrise in the vain hope of catching a glimpse.

Newboy6458

Visit site
Foreshore at Warsash very busy. Car park rammed and vehicles parked all over the place. Any keen traffic wardens could have had a field day.
Jack and Dom did a roaring trade in bacon butties at WSC?

mikegunn

Visit site
Navigating from Yarmouth Harbour to the Beaulieu River’s going to be a real challenge from now on, the chimney even showed up well on radar.
Mike

LiftyK

Visit site
The livestream didn’t work. A bit disappointing but fortunately footage is now in YouTube and BBC News.

Habebty

Visit site
Looking at the Beeb's report, I have for the first time after looking at the developer's website, seen the artist's impressions of the proposed Fawley Waterside development. Apart from the fact it is next to a sodding great oil refinery (and is an artist's impression), it looks rather nice, but probably expensive?
I'm not sure about the longevity of the approach channel to the dock and canal without frequent dredging, but on the whole looks better than some of the waterside developments that have popped up since the 80's.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Looking at the Beeb's report, I have for the first time after looking at the developer's website, seen the artist's impressions of the proposed Fawley Waterside development. Apart from the fact it is next to a sodding great oil refinery (and is an artist's impression), it looks rather nice, but probably expensive?
I'm not sure about the longevity of the approach channel to the dock and canal without frequent dredging, but on the whole looks better than some of the waterside developments that have popped up since the 80's.

I was inspiredby this thread to have a look at the plans too.

Am I alone in finding it mildly depressing that the go-to architectural style seems to be pastiche of old housing, rather than having the confidence to go with something fresh and modern ?