Faro taxi driver

Heckler

Visit site
Got in to Faro last night, Ryanair, was half an hour or so late. Got out of the terminal just after midnight, saw the last bus taking off! Ah well taxi rank. Went to the front, driver greets me, Where to? Nave Pegos please, all this in pidgin Portuguese at first. He is not happy, a couple of fodas (sp) comes out, he has waited three hours to get to the front and now he has me, a ten minute ride, he is seriously not happy, mumbling serious Portuguese swear words now! I then inform him that I inderstand Portuguese and in fact can speak it pretty good as well which I prove by throwing his swear words back at him and explaining that I know the rules and by the way what was I supposed to do? Walk to Bruces yard? He muttered all the way, didnt try the round the houses trick and charged me the correct price, €8.50 plus the supplement of €2.50 for after midnight. I took pity on him and gave him €13 and told him to shut it! He did!

Hadenough

Visit site
Got in to Faro last night, Ryanair, was half an hour or so late. Got out of the terminal just after midnight, saw the last bus taking off! Ah well taxi rank. Went to the front, driver greets me, Where to? Nave Pegos please, all this in pidgin Portuguese at first. He is not happy, a couple of fodas (sp) comes out, he has waited three hours to get to the front and now he has me, a ten minute ride, he is seriously not happy, mumbling serious Portuguese swear words now! I then inform him that I inderstand Portuguese and in fact can speak it pretty good as well which I prove by throwing his swear words back at him and explaining that I know the rules and by the way what was I supposed to do? Walk to Bruces yard? He muttered all the way, didnt try the round the houses trick and charged me the correct price, €8.50 plus the supplement of €2.50 for after midnight. I took pity on him and gave him €13 and told him to shut it! He did!

Wow, proud of you - I think?

Heckler

Visit site
Wow, proud of you - I think?

Felt bad at first but I did explain, hey its life! I could have been an Albifeira ride, I wasnt. As it happened when he gave me change he pulled his wedge out, there was a good roll there. He wasnt short.

Cockaigne

Visit site
Can someone please explain the point of this thread?

On the face of it, it appears to be a story about a taxi driver being given a lavish 18% tip after being offensive to his passenger. Is the OP suggesting that we should reward rudeness and poor service? Isn't that taking "turning the other cheek" a bit far?

:confused:

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
There's Uber in the Algarve, and we've used it plenty for short rides. All the drivers were friendly and polite, and they know the ride before they accept it, so no unhappiness there. Cheaper than taxi too. One old chap couldn't find Lidl in Albufeira, which is a bit of an achievement, but all that cost us was an extra 5 minutes watching him err around on the little map on my phone until he spotted the gigantic lit sign.

For airport shuttling, Greenbus was good and reliable, despite catastrophic reviews on Google.

Heckler

Visit site
There's Uber in the Algarve, and we've used it plenty for short rides. All the drivers were friendly and polite, and they know the ride before they accept it, so no unhappiness there. Cheaper than taxi too. One old chap couldn't find Lidl in Albufeira, which is a bit of an achievement, but all that cost us was an extra 5 minutes watching him err around on the little map on my phone until he spotted the gigantic lit sign.

For airport shuttling, Greenbus was good and reliable, despite catastrophic reviews on Google.
Have just downloaded uber and fired it up, can see 3 ubers beetling around the forum so will give it a go next time. Have booked n to Akbufeira Sept 15th so might see you then. Otherwise splashing from Bruces on the 27th after the Admiral gets here.

Heckler

Visit site
Used to get much the same response from cabbies at Heathrow when you wanted to go to Bedfont (or some other very local destination)

Years ago did the same, MAN to Heathrow by shuttle, wanted to get to the office in Hayes, he wasnt happy, same scenario. Only difference was there was always a cop watching what was going on, cop had a word in his ear, he shut up.

Yngmar

Visit site
Have just downloaded uber and fired it up, can see 3 ubers beetling around the forum so will give it a go next time. Have booked n to Akbufeira Sept 15th so might see you then. Otherwise splashing from Bruces on the 27th after the Admiral gets here.

Good luck with the launch. We've left Albufeira behind in April and are now trying to get used to the madness of the Islas Baleares in Summer (if it gets too crazy for us, I guess we'll check out Corsica - not sure where we'll spend this winter, maybe Ragusa). We've spent last Winter in Albu though, so if you have any questions about the place, feel free to PM.

stranded

Visit site
Good luck with the launch. We've left Albufeira behind in April and are now trying to get used to the madness of the Islas Baleares in Summer (if it gets too crazy for us, I guess we'll check out Corsica - not sure where we'll spend this winter, maybe Ragusa). We've spent last Winter in Albu though, so if you have any questions about the place, feel free to PM.

Where in the Balearics are you? We’re anchored in Addaya at the windy end of Menorca and like you wondering what to expect in high season. If it’s really bad we plan to elbow our way into a promising anchorage, improve our position as the opportunity arises, then just stay put until the weather forces us on or the crowds (hopefully) start to abate a bit in September. If my nerves won’t take that - having seen how close people anchor in some places even before high season, a strong possibility - we”ll scurry over to an unfashionable marina on the mainland, leave Nooka there and go travelling overland. We”ll see.

Be good to meet up for a beer if paths cross.

RobbieW

Visit site
Where in the Balearics are you? We’re anchored in Addaya at the windy end of Menorca and like you wondering what to expect in high season. If it’s really bad we plan to elbow our way into a promising anchorage, improve our position as the opportunity arises, then just stay put until the weather forces us on or the crowds (hopefully) start to abate a bit in September. If my nerves won’t take that - having seen how close people anchor in some places even before high season, a strong possibility - we”ll scurry over to an unfashionable marina on the mainland, leave Nooka there and go travelling overland. We”ll see.

Be good to meet up for a beer if paths cross.

in the couple of seasons we spent around the Balearics we used Pollensa a lot, nice town, protected anchorage and the fun of watching the seaplanes landing in the anchorage :nonchalance: Anchor further out to get the feel of it then work your way closer in