Fairline Phantom 40 - talk to me

alt

Visit site
So the time has come to start shopping again. We have decided to enter the world of flybridge and say goodbye to sports cruiser. This will not be an over-night decision and we hope to have a flybridge for the 2016 season.

So far the Phantom 40 ticks all the boxes for us - decent sized swim platform and sociable flybridge.

The one in question is a 2004 with TAMD63's.

Initial questions are:
Anything obvious to look out for? Weak spots?
Engine access - is it going to be a pain to do the annual service? I'm used to a Cranchi Smeraldo 37 engine bay and it's a dream to work in, huge engine bay. I know the set-up of shafts is going to mean tighter. I have no issue with tight access, but I do have an issue with impossible access.

Any info much appreciated.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
So the time has come to start shopping again. We have decided to enter the world of flybridge and say goodbye to sports cruiser. This will not be an over-night decision and we hope to have a flybridge for the 2016 season.

So far the Phantom 40 ticks all the boxes for us - decent sized swim platform and sociable flybridge.

The one in question is a 2004 with TAMD63's.

Initial questions are:
Anything obvious to look out for? Weak spots?
Engine access - is it going to be a pain to do the annual service? I'm used to a Cranchi Smeraldo 37 engine bay and it's a dream to work in, huge engine bay. I know the set-up of shafts is going to mean tighter. I have no issue with tight access, but I do have an issue with impossible access.

Any info much appreciated.

Serviced many. Once the whole floor is up there easy , worst job is starboard impeller.

alt

Visit site
Serviced many. Once the whole floor is up there easy , worst job is starboard impeller.

Thanks. OK so the floor is removable, great. I don't mind a bit of dis-mantling annually for the service.

When you mention starboard impeller... 'worst' is all relative. Is it a bit tricky, or a total pain in the backside?

Trundlebug

Visit site
Aside from good maintenance access the only must have on a flybridge for me would be moulded steps.

So much easier than going up unfeasibly steep ladders, esp at sea, and esp when trying to carry something (drink, chart, coat, anything)

alt

Visit site
Aside from good maintenance access the only must have on a flybridge for me would be moulded steps.

So much easier than going up unfeasibly steep ladders, esp at sea, and esp when trying to carry something (drink, chart, coat, anything)

Apart from the first 2 steps (which are heavy teak), I think the steps are moulded

benjenbav

Visit site
I like the Phantom 40. I had planned to buy one a few years ago but ended up going in a totally different (semi-displacement) direction. I think they are great looking boats.

rosssavage

Visit site
Stbd impeller can be a bit of a bitch. It's under a heat exchanger right in front of the oil filter. It's difficult to see it, and you can't really get an impeller puller on it. They're long thin impellers, (compared to the shorter, fatter ones on a TAMD61A) so have to draw out a long way. It's obviously doable ( lie across the engine and do it by feel - you can see it or feel it, but not both at the same time!) and VP must have done loads.

I've done two, and both took a couple of painful hours. I found lubing the old impeller with spray grease made a big difference, and don't scrimp on the impeller lubricant on the new one.

alt

Visit site
Stbd impeller can be a bit of a bitch. It's under a heat exchanger right in front of the oil filter. It's difficult to see it, and you can't really get an impeller puller on it. They're long thin impellers, (compared to the shorter, fatter ones on a TAMD61A) so have to draw out a long way. It's obviously doable ( lie across the engine and do it by feel - you can see it or feel it, but not both at the same time!) and VP must have done loads.

I've done two, and both took a couple of painful hours. I found lubing the old impeller with spray grease made a big difference, and don't scrimp on the impeller lubricant on the new one.

Many thanks. Sounds like it'll be 'one' of those jobs, but i've had to do worse. If that's the worst of the general maintenance, i'll live with it

Bojangles

Visit site

Any tips for getting these out please, I was just attempting this on the "easy" port one first, without success. I have the impellor tool (nut and bolt) but it seems impossible to thread the nut onto the old impellor.

rosssavage

Visit site
Can of spray grease. Liberal spray into the impeller vanes, then turn the engine over to spread it around.

I use the old fashioned two screw drivers method, with some assistance from a pair of swan necks.

Because they're quite long and thin, there's a lot of vane contact area drag to over come. It's a slow process, bit by bit, but they will come out.

I spent maybe three hours on one a few years ago.

Patience, spray grease and wiggling and pulling and wiggling and pulling will get you there!

Bandit

Visit site
I don't know the Fairline 40 but I do now VP 63P's a good solid engine built like a brick out house, however its probably 12 years old so water inection bends , exhaust elbows, etc, etc, like any 12 year old engine will arise, n worse than others.

Also consider the hard top Fairline Targa 47, with D9's a great boat.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Any tips for getting these out please, I was just attempting this on the "easy" port one first, without success. I have the impellor tool (nut and bolt) but it seems impossible to thread the nut onto the old impellor.
Simple answer is you present impeller does not have the thread inside or someone put it in the wrong way. Use the jabsco tool, the Volvo tool is useless with the standard bolt supplied with it .

Bojangles

Visit site
Can of spray grease. Liberal spray into the impeller vanes, then turn the engine over to spread it around.

I use the old fashioned two screw drivers method, with some assistance from a pair of swan necks.

Because they're quite long and thin, there's a lot of vane contact area drag to over come. It's a slow process, bit by bit, but they will come out.

I spent maybe three hours on one a few years ago.

Patience, spray grease and wiggling and pulling and wiggling and pulling will get you there!

Thanks, I'll give that a try, sorry for the thread drift

Bojangles

Visit site
Simple answer is you present impeller does not have the thread inside or someone put it in the wrong way. Use the jabsco tool, the Volvo tool is useless with the standard bolt supplied with it .

Thanks, I didn't think there was room for the Jabsco puller but that makes sense, ta

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Owned an earlier Phantom 42 which served us well over a number of years. Replaced by a 2007 Princess P42 which was a better boat in terms of internal size.

Henry :)

spannerman

Visit site
Same as Rossavage, I found that its often hard to get enough leverage to pull the impellor out, so I take off the cover spray liberally with WD40, give the engine a quick crank so the whole impellor gets lubed, then they pull out easily. And to install the new impellor I use a lever once the splines are engaged to ease it in as its hard to get enough pressure with just your fingers to push it fully in.

Last edited:

alt

Visit site
Thanks, guys.

So it appears that the general consensus for the P40 is a thumbs up, with the only gremlin being the impeller.

Regarding exhaust elbows etc. - I take for granted these issues, being on fresh water. But, the boat would be coming from salt water, so it's something i'll have to consider.