Fairline Phantom 40 - talk to me

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I
Thanks, guys.

So it appears that the general consensus for the P40 is a thumbs up, with the only gremlin being the impeller.

Regarding exhaust elbows etc. - I take for granted these issues, being on fresh water. But, the boat would be coming from salt water, so it's something i'll have to consider.

Every generation 2 P 40 has manuflex stainless risers and elbow so reliefs the corrosive issue. If you want a phantom 43 I'm considering selling mine. 2004 with 75P 480s .

alt

Visit site
I

Every generation 2 P 40 has manuflex stainless risers and elbow so reliefs the corrosive issue. If you want a phantom 43 I'm considering selling mine. 2004 with 75P 480s .

As much as i'd love to go that big, there's no way i'd fit a 43 where i'll be cruising. Even the 40 will be stretching it. Main reasoning for interest in the P40 is that there's one at a reasonable price here in Ireland, so little logistics.

kashurst

Visit site
when I put impellors back in I put them in water at 50 degrees C (half boiling half cold) for 5 mins. then blather with fairy liquid. grease the splines first and they push in easy. It helps on the 63P to change the water pump cover bolts to cap head bolts with an allen key socket in them. Its much easier to do by feel as the bolt head is much larger and the bolt doesn't fall off the end of the allen key. Get a thick foam doormat or kneeler to put on top off the engine as you end up lying on top of it to reach down on the starboard side.

scubaman

Visit site
I've used cable ties to squeeze the splines together. Helps tremendously in getting the first few cm's in. Cutting the cable ties should be doable with one hand.

scubaman

Visit site
So the time has come to start shopping again. We have decided to enter the world of flybridge and say goodbye to sports cruiser. This will not be an over-night decision and we hope to have a flybridge for the 2016 season.

So far the Phantom 40 ticks all the boxes for us - decent sized swim platform and sociable flybridge.

The one in question is a 2004 with TAMD63's.

Initial questions are:
Anything obvious to look out for? Weak spots?
Engine access - is it going to be a pain to do the annual service? I'm used to a Cranchi Smeraldo 37 engine bay and it's a dream to work in, huge engine bay. I know the set-up of shafts is going to mean tighter. I have no issue with tight access, but I do have an issue with impossible access.

Any info much appreciated.

Hi N,

So the Cranchi has sold or are you extending the fleet?

Congratulations either way!

novanta

Visit site
I think i would go for a Phantom 40 with D6 engines if that is possible. 63 i a good engine but older and often black smoke-ish at the stern of the boat, especialy with low speeds. We have a Phantom 40 with D6 and it's very quiet, economical and fast! The owner of this boat had a older Phantom 42 with TAMD63P'S but there was always some black smoke unless he drove the boat at planingspeed.

rosssavage

Visit site
Interestingly I'd rather go for the 63P's.

The 63 is the third evolution of that block (TAMD60, TAMD61A and then TAMD63) so it has years of refinement behind it. It's an old fashioned mechanical injection engine, and history has proven it to be a bombproof design. Loads and loads of them around and parts are plentiful with lots of cheaper pattern parts available if that's your thing.

Yes, obviously it's not as clean or efficient as a D6, but it's a really good, proven engine. I'm guessing the P40's with D6's have the earlier versions - search the forum and net for known problems with them!

kashurst

Visit site
resurrecting an old thread here, just downloaded the MBY test report on the P40, Dave Marsh couldn´t get more than 28 knots with 63Ps out of it in a flat calm. Is this about right or do any owners have other experiences to share?

alt

Visit site
resurrecting an old thread here, just downloaded the MBY test report on the P40, Dave Marsh couldn´t get more than 28 knots with 63Ps out of it in a flat calm. Is this about right or do any owners have other experiences to share?

Would also be interested to know!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Would also be interested to know!

True, I've sea trailed 3 and they all top out 28 knots at 2800 rpm, nothing wrong with that, boat needs a massive amount of HP to give the 30 knot plus barrier when it's shaft drive as the drag is massive. princess 40 is much the same, trailed one last week and that was 28/29 too with 63p engines. It's the mid range that matters and when the hull has weed on it how it copes with that as well. I can say the phantom 43 with the 480 HP engines is a different animal and can give 32-33 clean and a very creditable 29 end of season but it should considering it has 220 HP more than the 40 and its HP that matters.