fairline carerra

EBYC74

Visit site
changing petrol engine in my fairline carerra picked up a 110hp turbo diesel dont know if it will be enough to get the boat to plane any advice welcome thanks

moresparks

Visit site
Not sure if this helps but one of the single diesel installations was for a Duo Prop Volvo Penta AD30 which (according to the brochure) gave a maximum of 20 to 22 knots.
Someone more knowledgeable than me may give you the AD30 Horse Power. I believe it was a 2.4litre.
First impression I have, is that it would struggle to get on the plane with 110HP!!

EBYC74

Visit site
thanks guys im retired so can get the boat out a lot now think i will go ahead with the diesel finding the petrol engine a bit thirsty will go ahead with the diesel and try it out can hold on to the petrol engine as its in good nick and change it back got loads of time on my hands now lol :)

Freebee

Visit site
OK you can get the boat out a lot but will you be satisfied with a slow boat that struggles with a low power diesel? Instead of holding onto the petrol in case you want to swap back.................. why not remove the petrol and take the diesel you have and sell both and put the money towards an engine of the right power. Do all the work once and do it right! not only will you get out more on the boat, it will have good value if you want to sell it.

moresparks

Visit site
Hmmm ... I will probably get shouted down now but...
20 knots is 20 knots whether diesel or petrol.
HP for HP ... you may find little difference in miles per litre. Sure a diesel will use less but by how much??? If your sole concern is fuel costs as you are now retired and want to use the boat much more the savings may not be as significant as you hoped. I would do the sums first to see if the savings are worthwhile.
There may be other reasons of course such as safety, reliability and availability, but with petrol at the pumps now the same as diesel or cheaper and the fact you may have to change the gear ratio of the Sterndrive to accommodate the diesel engine,you have to ask yourself if it is going to be worth it.
Interesting though as I am also asking the same questions...

EBYC74

Visit site
many thanks stelican /more sparks your right about the stern drive i have the one to suit the diesel i am changing the engines over next month the petrol engine is too good to let go if I'm not happy i will change them back as i said I'm retired this is how i spend my time i just finished putting a diesel into a colvic sea worker i am refurbishing as for petrol v diesel the engine in the colvic is 26 years old starts first time every time ps thanks for all the advice big help jimmy