Eye-watering Crewsaver Liferaft Service Costs

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I have decided to share my poor experience with a Crewsaver liferaft in the hope it will save others the same problem.

In short I bought a Crewsaver 6 man ISO liferaft with a +24 hour pack 3 years ago at the boat show, at a cost around £2200.
When it came up for service this year, the boat was in Greece. The only place I could find that would service it was Marita Hellas in Athens who quoted an unbelievable 1,354 Euros.!

I contacted the Crewsaver service department who provided their current service price list showing a cost £480 in the UK.
I went back to Marita Hellas suggesting they were quoting for the wrong liferaft, they checked and said that was the right price - 1354 Euros but they would give me a 10% goodwill discount!!
I then contacted Crewsaver in the UK who advised their head of sales would raise the issue during planned visit. There followed several weeks of delay where I had to chase for feedback. Eventually I get an email saying phone Marita Hellas to learn something to your benefit. Great I think, a breakthrough, but no, what followed was a really embarrassing call where Marita Hellas denied any arrangement with Crewsaver.

Back to Crewsaver again who now basically "washed their hands" and said there was nothing they could as Marita Hellas was an independent company (somewhat conveniently ignoring they are a Crewsaver appointed service centre). They did however offer me a £100 voucher off my next service in the UK in 3 year's time. ( no use to me as I now don't cruise in UK)

My plan now was to delay the service until we reached Malta or Gibraltar, but the Greek port police were actively fining anyone with out of date liferaft 1000€, so felt forced to pay the exorbitant 1200€ to Marita Hellas.

So, be warned, if you buy a Crewsaver liferaft for use outside the UK, you may find it costs far more than other brands to service.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Steve
Looked out the other day and you where gone , maybe we catch you up later if your still about , any way lift raft .
Try Alex in Malta , 0035699486090 .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks Vic, if you look to your starboard, you will find are back! St Julians will be too uncomfortable tonight we think...we did circle to say goodbye but you must have been down below having a siesta!

We won't be here long just having lunch and waiting for a break in the rain .
wind going east then possibly a bit NE , it's not good in a NE here ,
So we be going up to Comio or paradise bay where there lots more protect.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
If I understand it correctly (but it may well have changed since I last used a boat there) but if you're Brit reg'd you don't have to have a liferaft, although the PP may go beyond their remit and check dates if you do have one. Because of the stories I've read an heard I won't use an agent, so it's back to the manufacturer or diy. I just checked Interparcel and can have a 50Kg package of that size collected from Athens and brought here for £86. If you're Greek flagged then it's a different story of course.

Miken

Visit site
If I understand it correctly (but it may well have changed since I last used a boat there) but if you're Brit reg'd you don't have to have a liferaft, although the PP may go beyond their remit and check dates if you do have one. Because of the stories I've read an heard I won't use an agent, so it's back to the manufacturer or diy. I just checked Interparcel and can have a 50Kg package of that size collected from Athens and brought here for £86. If you're Greek flagged then it's a different story of course.

One thing to be aware of Life Rafts are considered dangerous goods because of both the flares and the gas canister so Shipping costs are much more than standard goods , we shipped a life raft to Denmark and it would have almost been as cheep to buy a new one there

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
One thing to be aware of Life Rafts are considered dangerous goods because of both the flares and the gas canister so Shipping costs are much more than standard goods , we shipped a life raft to Denmark and it would have almost been as cheep to buy a new one there

Very good point. In which case I'd be trying to find the people who do regular van trips, mentioned in these forums from time to time..

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If I understand it correctly (but it may well have changed since I last used a boat there) but if you're Brit reg'd you don't have to have a liferaft, although the PP may go beyond their remit and check dates if you do have one.

Unfortunately, unless on Innocent Passage, the coastal state can impose whatever safety equipment rules it wishes regardless of flag, although most don't bother. Personally, I would have just filled in the log book myself to indicate it had been serviced, then have it done somewhere more reasonably priced.

Resolution

Visit site
We nipped into Greece for a few weeks this June. The agent handling our paperwork specifically confirmed to me that I only needed in date life raft and flares if the boat was to be used commercially, ie on charter. Otherwise we could continue with the equipment on board and out of date. British registered yacht.
(The life raft is now being serviced by Blues Yachting in Gocek, and we go to collect it next week. )

[3889]

Visit site
Try getting an ACR Resqlink replacement battery in Spain. Tridente, Bilbao quoted me €350 . Force 4, amongst others, will deliver a brand new unit to Spain for less than €250.

greeny

Visit site
Very good point. In which case I'd be trying to find the people who do regular van trips, mentioned in these forums from time to time..

The liferaft will officially still have to be declared as Dangerous goods to the channel ferry company that the van driver travels with, or he just blags it and hopes for the best. hmmmmm, dilema.