Exhaust insulation Asbestos?

DownWest

Visit site
Our local tip has a special area for asbestos sheet and roofing stuff. Free too. Quite normal around here. But I understand that the roofing and sheet is not the really bad stuff (?) Any comments?

Alfie168

Visit site
I fitted it to our new house, but used mica insulation. But there must have been a lot of residual stuff around, not counting the amount wandering around the friends house. Not sure if it was the 'bad' stuff. So far so good...
DW

I suggest you read the recent research on asbestos. Its all ' bad stuff'. There is no good stuff, and all the types that people thought were not harmful, are harmful.Misconceptions about 'good and bad' asbestos have killed a lot of tradesmen.

Tim

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Around '67 we bought an AGA of some friends. They had sold their house but the new owners did not want it, only a year old. I watched the builder dismantle it and took notes. He said it was the last one he would touch because the 'Keiselgur' (sp) insulation was not very good for you. Found out later that it was asbestos.....
I fitted it to our new house, but used mica insulation. But there must have been a lot of residual stuff around, not counting the amount wandering around the friends house. Not sure if it was the 'bad' stuff. So far so good...
DW

The spelling is good but 'Diatomaceous earth ( /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock'. It isn't asbestos. Read all about it.

VicMallows

Visit site
Anyone remember RawlPlastic? It was a fibrous material that you mixed with water to plug irregular holes in masonry before screwing. The way this was used was by putting a ball in your hand, taking a breath and spitting on it. It was asbestos!

Yep! .... came in hinged 'tobacco tins' . Available until early 1960s. Oh well....no point worrying now. (wonder what an empty tin would fetch on antiques road show). Stuff didn't even work that well IIRC.

Vic

DownWest

Visit site
The spelling is good but 'Diatomaceous earth ( /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock'. It isn't asbestos. Read all about it.

Well, thankyou. I feel better about it now. Diatomaceous earth is also know as 'Fuller's Earth' and was commonly used in pool filters where I used to live. Actually the skeletons of small marine dwellers.
Must say that the stuff cleaned out of the AGA looked more like asbestos than de. Sort of fluffy grey fibrous stuff.But, it was a while back.
DW

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Anyone remember RawlPlastic? It was a fibrous material that you mixed with water to plug irregular holes in masonry before screwing. The way this was used was by putting a ball in your hand, taking a breath and spitting on it. It was asbestos!

$(KGrHqN,!jcE4oDMzircBOUO,i,H2g~~_12.JPG
Excellent stuff, particularly for the likes of breeze blocks, as you didn't need a perfectly round hole.
All you needed was your Rawltool
31GWA8QXZTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and a hammer. None of those new fangled battery powered drills.

VicS

Visit site
Must say that the stuff cleaned out of the AGA looked more like asbestos than de. Sort of fluffy grey fibrous stuff.But, it was a while back
It could have been Crocidolite, aka blue asbestos. That was considered the real bad one at one time and there were much stricter rules about handling and disposing of it.

Seldom obviously blue although often recognisable if made wet. The crocidolite in my earlier photo was IIRC artificially coloured.

rotrax

Visit site
I suggest you read the recent research on asbestos. Its all ' bad stuff'. There is no good stuff, and all the types that people thought were not harmful, are harmful.Misconceptions about 'good and bad' asbestos have killed a lot of tradesmen.

Tim

Yes, that is true. BUT now we know not to breathe it in-that is when it is most dangerous-and how to take simple precautions like wetting it to avoid dust. For the small amount the OP is talking about taking reasonable precautions will be fine. The unfortunates who met their demise as a result of asbestososis-if thats the correct word-were dealing with it for years without any safety precautions. Go for it-just be carefull!

andygc

Visit site
The unfortunates who met their demise as a result of asbestososis-if thats the correct word-were dealing with it for years without any safety precautions. Go for it-just be carefull!
Unfortunately that statement is another example of forum misinformation. There is a need to distinguish between asbestosis and mesothelioma.

Asbestosis is a form of pulmonary fibrosis which results in a gradual deterioration in lung function. It may well reduce life expectancy - although someone with asbestosis may die of respiratory failure it is more likely to be a chest infection that kills him. There is a dose/response relationship - the more exposure to asbestos fibres, the more the risk of developing the disease.

Mesothelioma is a malignant tumour which responds poorly to treatment and is invariably fatal. It is nearly always associated with asbestos exposure. The available evidence indicates that there is no clear dose/response relationship and cases have been found in people with very limited exposure. Although it has been said that one fibre is enough to provoke a tumour, it is impossible to test that claim. The latent period (ie between exposure and disease) may be many years.

Those, like me, who have blown out asbestos dust from brake drums, taken off asbestos roofs and used Rawlplastic will not know until we are dying of something else that we have not drawn the short straw.

Removing asbestos in accordance with HSE recommendations is not overkill, it is a sensible way to avoid exposure of anybody who may go into the affected space, which in this case is the boat, not just the area around the lagging.

sarah Green 84

Visit site
Hi there
I don't suppose you know who would have produced (the companies) the asbestos lagging for Webasto diesel heaters? This would have been in the 1970's. Thanks

Sarah

dleroc

Visit site
Sorry I don't but in the 1970's asbestos was still being used for pipe lagging and it would have contained brown (amosite) asbestos with a bit of White asbestos (Chrysotile) mixed in. However, even at this time, glass fibre was being increasingly used instead.

The only way to know would be to get a sample taken and see what type it is. Is it in good condition or is it damaged?

Ardenfour

Visit site
Ok, so I have a dry riser section on my exhaust, which prior to launch I wrapped with a white rope-like material, used for insulation around boiler doors, and covered this with a shroud of white woven material (looks like glass fibre roving) and normally used to cover ceiling downlights. What would these materials be? Main reason I ask is, vibration from the engine has resulted in much of the engine compartment being covered in a fine layer of small fibres from this lagging. The other thing that occurs to me, presumably much of this dust is being sucked into the engine intake, which wont do the engine much good. The md1 is fitted with a prehistoric wire-wool-soaked-in-oil type filter, time I checked the condition of this methinks

misterg

Visit site
Ok, so I have a dry riser section on my exhaust, which prior to launch I wrapped with a white rope-like material, used for insulation around boiler doors...

Where did you get it from and when?

If recently acquired it is likely to be some sort of ceramic fibre and relatively harmless - fits in with being very dusty.

Wire wool / oil cleaners are remarkably good :)

Andy

sulmanfarooq

Visit site
Marine Asbestos

The original Exhaust Insulating Wrap was developed over 25 years ago by ... Wrap withstands continuous heat up to 2000°F, and contains no asbestos.Marine Asbestos the outlawing of Asbestos, which was broad-spectrum temperature insulation, alternative.:encouragement:

Bilgediver

Visit site

Tim

Oh dear !!!!!!! The number of times we were ordered to get on the tip of a Scotch boiler which was still pretty hot
and had to dive through inches of asbestos to reach the flange nuts of a leaky shell fitting to change a joint!!! WHite dust in our hair.....eyes......and other places we won't mention here. Certainly not itch but left a trail through the accomodation to our cabins!

Yep there must be a few ex marine engineers who give a fleeting thought to those days of long ago.....and then down another pint :) :)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Oh dear !!!!!!! The number of times we were ordered to get on the tip of a Scotch boiler which was still pretty hot
and had to dive through inches of asbestos to reach the flange nuts of a leaky shell fitting to change a joint!!! WHite dust in our hair.....eyes......and other places we won't mention here. Certainly not itch but left a trail through the accomodation to our cabins!

Yep there must be a few ex marine engineers who give a fleeting thought to those days of long ago.....and then down another pint :) :)

In my first job, in 1971, I routinely used asbestos gloves in a laboratory to handle hot coal tar and asphalt. The laboratory also had a mercury still in the corner! I hate to think what I was exposed to then; practically everything in the lab was pretty nasty.

rotrax

Visit site
As an apprentice motor engineer in the '60's I was shown how to blow out brake dust from drums and backplates.

H&S was there in small measure-I was told to take a deep breath and hold it, blow away from myself and not breathe untill it had settled.

Almost impossible unless you are a trained free diver.

I also smashed up an old blue asbestos ironing board base and mixed it into a paste.

This paste was put inside a damaged high compression piston-a valve had dropped in-and the crown subsequently welded, using Oxy-Acetylene.

No new pistons were available. The technique was used many times later-untill more modern welding methods were available-to increase the compression ratio of pistons to make them more suitable for methanol fuel.

OH SH*T-what chance have I got.......................................

sailorbaz

Visit site
Nobody has mentioned Marinite which was made by Turner and Newall for firewalls in ships. It was asbestos. In the 1960's I worked in an aluminium foundry where I had to bandsaw it, turn it on a lathe etc etc. we later found out the face masks we used were useless. I have pleural plaques in both lungs as a result. I get checked out every couple of years and so far so good, 50 years after last exposure.
Sailorbaz