Exe moorings

Aeolus

Visit site
Does anyone know whether/where one can find a deep water mooring on the Exe for a 9.2 meter fin keel sailing boat (draws 1.5 metres)? Likely to be moving to the West Country later this year and my current mooring in Chichester Harbour will be a bit far to travel.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Does anyone know whether/where one can find a deep water mooring on the Exe for a 9.2 meter fin keel sailing boat (draws 1.5 metres)? Likely to be moving to the West Country later this year and my current mooring in Chichester Harbour will be a bit far to travel.
Yes you can. There are several different places you can enquire about moorings depending on where you want to keep your boat.

Home - Powderham Castle

and

Lower Exe Mooring Authority

spring to mind.

Another useful website is

Exe Estuary Management Partnership - What we do

I had a Powderham mooring until 2017 when I came to the conclusion that the river was very quickly silting up (after having to move from an ideal spot just beside the River Exe Cafe on orders of the Harbour Master), I draw 1.80m, and moved the boat to Plymouth. Where I have access at all states of the tide and if it is really blowing a hooly can play in Plymouth Sound without spilling too much tea.

Saying that the estuary is stunning, but destinations for day sails are just a tad limited.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We spent a week in Topsham last year alongside Trout's Boatyard hammerhead-we only draw a metre.

There were deeper draught yachts on buoys in deeper pools nearby, as well as further upstream by the sailing club.

Ask at Trout's-if they cant help they might point you in the right direction.

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
Might be worth posting on the Facebook group Boating South Devon. Some get advertised on there.

Contact Simon Turl Mooring Services - he may know of some available to rent.

Occasionally ads on noticeboard at Exe Sailing Club. Going there this evening so will post if there are any.

03 area in 'The Bight' has combination of a bit more shelter but not too far to get to. 01 area is closer but fewer deep moorings.

Beware that if you're relying on it, water taxi doesn't run after 6-7pm in the summer.

The appeal of the Exe is dependent on whether you live nearby and what sort of sailing you do. As Sandy says, day sails can be a bit constrained by tide getting out/in. Hard work if you get it wrong on against a spring tide. Drawing 1.5m, you'll be fine if you can't see more than the very top of Pole Sands exposed.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The appeal of the Exe is dependent on whether you live nearby and what sort of sailing you do. As Sandy says, day sails can be a bit constrained by tide getting out/in. Hard work if you get it wrong on against a spring tide. Drawing 1.5m, you'll be fine if you can't see more than the very top of Pole Sands exposed.
I recall clawing my way back in on my old boat, a Mirage 28 drawing 1.10m, when a crew member was sea sick. SOG was about 0.10 knots. He was not best pleased when I suggested we stop and have an ice cream ;)

trevbouy

Visit site
There are two on FB right now. One would suit your needs but it's £950 for April to Sept. HM insists boats to be off the river by October anyway so you would have to bring it off. Join Exmouth Sailing Club they have a nice clubhouse and they operate a joint haulout and storage system.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
There are two on FB right now. One would suit your needs but it's £950 for April to Sept. HM insists boats to be off the river by October anyway so you would have to bring it off. Join Exmouth Sailing Club they have a nice clubhouse and they operate a joint haulout and storage system.
Is this a new ruling? I am quite sure I see boats on the water, and not the usual abandoned wrecks, in the winter months as I whizz down to Cornwall on the train.

trevbouy

Visit site
Not a new ruling but it's like all things not strictly enforced unless they want to. Mines off the river and on winter mooring. Just the other day LEMA lady was going round checking boats but as she said it's not possible to identify them all.
I have wanted to buy a boat that's on a winter mooring but not been used since before covid but she doesn't know whose it was and neither does anyone else. Even the boats either side haven't seen anyone on the boat. It is well secured and covered though.