engine mounts

johnmuir

Visit site
can anyone give me details of the easiest method of fitting front mounts to a volvo 2002. Any suppliers other than volvo as price is expensive, £60 each.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sammy

Visit site
There are cheaper mounts available but from experience the cheaper mounts are a poor substitute. The problem is that there is not enough flexibility and the vibration will go through the structure of the boat . Same problem with the Yamaha engines. At £60.00 each trhey seem quite resonable as engine mounts go the early 2.5 Bmc mounts are £ 107 inc vat.

<hr width=100% size=1>www.chertseymeadsmarine.co.uk

Evadne

Visit site
Same with Yanmar, I don't think there's any such thing as an engine manufacturer that does cheap ones. I replaced all 4 at £60 each a few years ago, then someone told me that Vetus do "the same thing" at a much lower price. Can't vouch for them directly though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
Try your local motor factors. Preferrably HGV factors - like in truck parts. Only problem is the engine mountings tend to have short threaded studs as they are not designed for engine alignment but this is easliy overcome by using some threaded sleeves and stud bar to match the engine mounting thread. by screwing the sleeve over the mounting stud then screwing a length of stud bar into the sleeve you can extent the stud. I know some "purists" will from on such "engineering fixes" but £20 for 4 heavy duty mountings plus ~£10 for 4 off 1" sleeves and stud bar is a lot better than £240+ for 4 Marine grade units. Either take an old one in or go in and browse through the parts catalogue and select the best match

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I was warned that the main difference in use between a road vehicle engine mounts and a boat's is that the boat's often serve as a thrust bearing, the push of the prop. being transferred to the boat through them. Not a problem on small engines at first, or boats with proper thrust bearings on the propshaft but it will put the road vehicle parts under a sideways strain they're not designed for that may cause them to fail earlier than their marine counterparts.
I can't vouch for it, the difference would be in the glue 'twixt metal and rubber, mostly, so only time will tell. As long as they last more than 1/3 the life of the marine bit, and you aren't paying someone to align the engine for you each time then you should still be in pocket.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Very easy if you have good side access? lever the engine up with a large spanner then cjock it...we actually used a big screwdriver to lever it....
We had to replace the engine mounts at sea...and had no spare so made one out of one of those rubber mooring rope things that the line spirals around...lasted ages...
If I remember rightly the new mounts we bought in the Canaries were a lot less the £60 more like £15!!
Good luck ..dont drop it (the engine)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
just got my mailspeed catalogue, engine mounts identical to those on my 2030vp £29 each
stu

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk>http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk</A>