Embarrasing But True

Aja

Visit site
Heard off Rothesay yesterday afternoon:

Perfect 'Mayday Relay' broadcast from somewhere really close. Lady on yacht at mouth of Loch Striven had heard a strong but broken Mayday on Ch16.

CG came on and asked for details and at the same time requesting 'Mayday Seelonce' from the couple of boats arranging a meeting on Ch16.

All goes silent for about 5 minutes as we circle round off Loch Striven. Finally Clyde CG comes back on and announces end of Mayday. A yacht further up Loch Striven which does not have the best of reception had apparently answered a call on CH16 from another yacht. The yacht answering the call had a name ending in "M..day".

Time for a change of name I think.

The yacht that relayed the Mayday was absolutely right INHO.

Perfect day yesterday.

<hr width=100% size=1>

townquay

Visit site
I've always laboured under the impression that the registration authorities have this sort of problem in mind when registering boats' names and that they sometimes refuse a name for that very reason.
I was chatting to some RNLI blokes recently and they suggested the most confusing names for a boat they could imagine someone trying to originate. They came up with " Signalcheck", and "Can -sell" amongst others.
Can you imagine the utter confusion....." Mayday-mayday-mayday-..."Can-sell, Can-sell, Can-sell,... over " ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
I heard about a bloke who was looking forward to receiving a big lump sum as part of his retirement package.

He went around boatshows for years looking for the ideal yacht to buy when his big"Payday" arrived.

The word beacame a catchphrase so when the time came and the boat was purchased he decided to call it "Payday"

Wether he was banned from registering it or someone talked him out of it Im not sure ,but can you imagine the chaos if he used that name on the the VHF???

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site
About 17 or 18 years ago there used to be a Moody 29 in Dartmouth called 'Don't Panic'. At the same time there was an RN frigate called Sirius in the vicinity.

Imagine " Don't Panic this is Sirius "

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
\"Payday\"

Not merely imagine it; I heard it used. It was followed by immediate advice from HMCG on changing the name of the vessel!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Re: \"Payday\"

I heard a RIB called 'Canine Gonads' was asked to reconsider his name for slightly different reasons when registering for a radio licence!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
There is a Don't Panic around Hamble I think, featured in PBO a few months ago doing something, can't remember what exactly,if I am not mistaken.

<hr width=100% size=1>