Electronic Charts

Talbot

Visit site
I appreciate that you want an answer to a question, but posting the question on all the forums is liable to make people peeved. It also makes the answers very disjointed.

You should also be aware that most chart companies in UK deliberately make their chart cartridges in a way that even if you can plug them into a standard cartridge reader, they will NOT work. Thus they can sell a £10 cartridge reader for £500, and also ensure that the cartridge cannot be pirated easily.

CaptainCava

Visit site
I don't want to upset anyone, but I've never quite understood why it's considered bad form to post a question on more than one forum. Can someone wise me up on the finer points of this particular aspect of forum etiquette please?

Talbot

Visit site
Its perfectly OK to list on a number of different forums where the forums are not part of the same organisation. Where you have a number of different forums like here on ybw.com, a large number of us look on multiple forums. Reading the same thread over and over again is a pain, but what makes it a bad idea is that the answers get disjointed. you dont know which set of threads to add data, and the end result quite often is that you dont get a decent cross section of advice. Single source advice, unless you know and trust that source implicitely is a way of really getting into a lot of trouble.

paul

Visit site
If you've seen card readers for sale at £500 you must read different ads to me! I paid £45 for my Raymarine version (actually badged Navionics when I got it). As many people know though you can't copy the cards (not even to the same format cartridge). Not unreasonable as the suppliers have valuable copyright tied up in their products.