Electric Boats

Hurricane

Visit site
Bloke I know has a high mileage Leaf.
He bought it about 3 years ago and it's paid for itself just on saving diesel, ignoring all the other costs per mile of their other car.
It still has enough range to get him to work and back, to the shops etc.
Yea, but has he "factored in" the extra cost of the car in the first place.
You would have to do an awful lot of miles to cover the difference in capital costs.
And remember that a Leaf is a very small car so an IC equivalent wouldn't use much fuel anyway.

Hurricane

Visit site
I would imagine sail boats are more suited to electric propulsion, they (should be!) sailing most of the time and require little power to propel them. Not sure how that squares with their existing battery "range anxiety" though!
All the yachties that I know (even those with big solar panels) rely on their engines to recharge their batteries.

vas

Visit site
All the yachties that I know (even those with big solar panels) rely on their engines to recharge their batteries.
I'm not (and I'm not a yachtie!). If they are, they're doing something wrong...
however I wouldn't be able to go far with electric propulsion :p

Wing Mark

Visit site
Yea, but has he "factored in" the extra cost of the car in the first place.
You would have to do an awful lot of miles to cover the difference in capital costs.
And remember that a Leaf is a very small car so an IC equivalent wouldn't use much fuel anyway.
Some other mug paid the purchase price of the Leaf, matey down the road paid about £6k for it.
Yes he could have got a Polo or something and got 65MPG? instead of working on 45 mpg for his 2 litre Diesel.
That's still over 10p per mile for petrol compared to under 1.5 for the leaf,
TBH I've no idea what MPG people actually get out of small modern cars in real life commuting.
Not hard to save over £15 a week.
It works for his situation.
Sure, it's not for everyone.
Not yet!

kashurst

Visit site
This Interactive Chart Shows Changes in the World's Top 10 Emitters

This is a great little interactive chart showing where what and who. As for example all the transportation combined of the EU accounts for only 1.7% of total global emissions. Before you beat yourself up about the car you drive, consider the amount of emissions just knocking up another house releases in both building and energy. There are much bigger projects to tackle before you beat yourself up over EV choice.
if your neighbours decide to take a dump in their own bed, would you do the same?
if consumers move away from oil dependence this will create new technology and businesses to export around the world.

Ian h

Visit site
Heck you had a Hunton for years ……………Tell me you have not gone all green
No chance of that for boating. Petrol or diesel is the only fuel at present.
am looking at electric cars but not convinced the battery technology is there yet and the price difference between electric and petrol or diesel is still too high

BruceK

Visit site
if your neighbours decide to take a dump in their own bed, would you do the same?
if consumers move away from oil dependence this will create new technology and businesses to export around the world.
You obviously havent thought this through. First off all we are doing is swapping one dependency off for another and we export nothing. We neither produce batteries or EV's. Secondly your assumption of my referring to neighbour when I explicitly pointed to our own deficits in terms of reliance on concrete, gas etc as well as farming practices shows you failed to read deeper into my comments but instead jumped onto the bandwagon that is the typical eurocentric guilt trip. The bottom line is if you want to make a difference to GHG you first have to solve world povity, then change consumer practice. Buying an EV just puts a band aid on your conscience and does f-all to solve the problem. Keeping your car and investing the difference into a developing country business would probably do more in the long run to solve the GHG problem than 1 EV ever would

Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
You obviously havent thought this through. First off all we are doing is swapping one dependency off for another and we export nothing. We neither produce batteries or EV's. Secondly your assumption of my referring to neighbour when I explicitly pointed to our own deficits in terms of reliance on concrete, gas etc as well as farming practices shows you failed to read deeper into my comments but instead jumped onto the bandwagon that is the typical eurocentric guilt trip. The bottom line is if you want to make a difference to GHG you first have to solve world povity, then change consumer practice. Buying an EV just puts a band aid on your conscience and does f-all to solve the problem. Keeping your car and investing the difference into a developing country business would probably do more in the long run to solve the GHG problem than 1 EV ever would

Nissan produce loads of EVs AND batteries in the UK - and there are others
UK CO2 emissions by sector: UK: GHG emissions shares by sector 2019 | Statista transport is 27%
Creating new technologies the UK can sell to ROW is advantageous in CO2 terms and economically to the UK. It also allows the UK to be less dependant on foreign oil and gas., And as you say potentially help solve world energy poverty and consumer practices as it removes power from some of the more nasty oil and gas producers.
Buying and using an EV makes a very specific and measurable difference - albeit on a one by one basis, relatively small. But do it 10 million times makes a BIG difference

BruceK

Visit site
Nissan a UK company? OK I'm not sure how that dice rolls but your big difference is still only at maximum 1.7% global greenhouse gasses (for the whole of Europe for ALL transport including ships, rail and air) and that was if you could still clean up battery technology, make, dispose and power the cars with zero carbon footprint. Your big difference is probably 0.5% total global emissions at best. Face it, it's a sticky plaster on a dirty conscience

EDIT. At least as far as tackling the problem goes. Of which I am no naysayer. I just dont believe EV's are the solution, I do however believe EV's are a better prospect and I do give them my full support but I dont get beat up about it. Concrete, simple old concrete and cement is doing far more damage. The way we heat our homes does far more damage. What we choose and how we choose to eat does far more damage. Focusing on EV's as doing your part, not so much

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Some other mug paid the purchase price of the Leaf, matey down the road paid about £6k for it.
Yes he could have got a Polo or something and got 65MPG? instead of working on 45 mpg for his 2 litre Diesel.
That's still over 10p per mile for petrol compared to under 1.5 for the leaf,
TBH I've no idea what MPG people actually get out of small modern cars in real life commuting.
Not hard to save over £15 a week.
It works for his situation.
Sure, it's not for everyone.
Not yet!
In a small car, you would probably do less than 4000 miles per year
On a small car that's probably less than £300 per year on fuel.
My point is the the depreciation on an electric car would be more than that alone.
New Leafs are well over £20,000 - I was in the Nissan showroom yesterday.
Factor that kind of depreciation in and the electric car makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
I'm not (and I'm not a yachtie!). If they are, they're doing something wrong...
however I wouldn't be able to go far with electric propulsion :p
OK Vas - I think we are both in the same boat - so to speak!!
My solar panels only cover about half of the daily electric load (not propulsion - obviously)
I could have added more panels but I didn't want to spoil the lines of the boat.
Mine look a bit like windows in the flybridge/eyebrow.
As you know, I wouldn't be without the solar but part of my solar strategy is to run the generator for a few hours a day to do the bulk of the charging.
The idea being that the solar panels "finish the job".
The end result is that (in summer) the boat uses about 5 or 6 Kw hours per 24 hour day and the solar replaces about 2.5 to 3 Kw hours per 24 hour day.
It is the timing of that charging that keeps the generator off.

Reactions: vas

Bigplumbs

Visit site

+ 1 for that and I never hardly ever agree with Bruce

John100156

Visit site
EV's / EB's and in support, alternative more efficient, larger capacity, reduced footprint, energy sources are most definitely on there way chaps, we would not be developing numerous research facilities for different clients if that were not the case.

Interesting debate/arguments offered generally in good spirit, but to quote the Borg science team: we all need to be assimilated into a collective thinking 'EB's are good' resistance/denial is futile, its just inevitable IMHO. Albeit granted we are not quite there yet....:)