Efoy Fuel Cells

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I learn't about a different way of charging batteries over on YouTube using Efoy fuel cells.

The look like they would solve all my power issues. I am not a fan of wind power, willing to look at solar and, to date, hydro generation has been the favorite. While the fuel cell is eye wateringly expensive it is cheaper than the Watt and Sea solution that I have been looking at. The advantage is that you do not need to be underway to generate power and as I am on a swing mooring, can top up the batteries as and when it is needed.

I'm also looking at ultrasonic antifouling and this would deliver as much power as that system needs without the generation or storage headaches.

Is anybody currently using the system? If so what is your experience?

pvb

Visit site
One characteristic of these fuel cells is that the output drops as operating hours increase. For instance, the max output of the smaller versions would drop from around 40W to around 20W after 4000 hours or so. Whilst 4000 hours sounds a lot, the small output potentially means that the unit might be working quite a few hours a day, and the 4000 hours could be reached fairly quickly.

MM5AHO

Visit site
Looks a nice compact unit, but almost impossible to get pricing info off their website. Even the "shop" part it looks impossible to place an order.

pvb

Visit site
Looks a nice compact unit, but almost impossible to get pricing info off their website. Even the "shop" part it looks impossible to place an order.

The smallest unit (40W output) is about £2500. Fuel costs about £5 a litre, and a litre is said to be enough to generate 1kWh (ie 24 hours constant use at 40W output).

mainsail1

Visit site
I looked at this a year or so ago and decided it was a clever idea but with too many drawbacks... cost, fiddling around with fuel, water discharge, and not much power after all that. The idea has been around for some years and not become a big seller. I think I know why.

Yealm

Visit site
I had efoy fuel cell on my pogo2. Fantastic, really recommend it.

I looked at this a year or so ago and decided it was a clever idea but with too many drawbacks... cost, fiddling around with fuel, water discharge, and not much power after all that. The idea has been around for some years and not become a big seller. I think I know why.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

I agree. I idly considered a fuel cell a couple of years ago, but the relatively short service life added to the cost of fuel makes it blinking expensive per kWh. It may well make sense or some niche purposes, but the technology is a fair bit away from the cruising mainstream.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I also looked into this a few years ago, around 2011/12. I don't think anything has changed significantly. I looked at information from research papers and similar, not generalised blurb from sites selling the kit.

My conclusions were similar to comments already made:
1) Output would certainly fall significantly after a year. I think that I assumed I'd only get 75% of rated output at best (can't remember exact figures).

2) Equipment was hugely expensive and that meant high financial risk.

3) Fuel was expensive and not that easy to get (might have changed). Guarantee void if you used cheaper fuel (even if exactly same purity). Running costs were therefore quite high and I don't imagine that has changed.

Output was going to be relatively low for the high purchase and running costs. It was much better to invest in solar and keep a large wad of cash.

But Watt and Sea would also be a waste of money for me as it would generate nothing when I really need power. I'm more concerned about getting power when anchored in the same place for several days (i.e. Not moving and hiding from strong wind).

Last edited:

bbg

Visit site
Me too, but I suspect they are very specifically suited to minis.
I am not sure how useful they would be on a larger boat with an engine and the space to install a couple of solar panels.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
My 40w of solar panels cost me a bit over £100 to install. Don't think I'll be swapping :)
A lot of it depends on your power requirements Stemar.

I am sorting the boat for some long distance, high latitude sailing and am looking for solutions to power generation that don't depend on running the engine frequently.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I am sorting the boat for some long distance, high latitude sailing and am looking for solutions to power generation that don't depend on running the engine frequently.

At the moment I can't see any advantages of a fuel cell over a suitcase generator or, if you're feeling flush and have room, a permanently installed generator.

[3889]

Visit site
At the moment I can't see any advantages of a fuel cell over a suitcase generator or, if you're feeling flush and have room, a permanently installed generator.

Apart from noise, I suppose, but a Honda eu10 is 1/3 of the price, fuel is 1/3 of the price and easily available and output is 20 times greater.
Even running the genny for a couple of hours a day at a sociable time, will outperform 24 hour operation of a fuel cell.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Apart from noise, I suppose, but a Honda eu10 is 1/3 of the price, fuel is 1/3 of the price and easily available and output is 20 times greater.
Even running the genny for a couple of hours a day at a sociable time, will outperform 24 hour operation of a fuel cell.

Yup, that's how I saw it too. Silence would be nice, but it's a very expensive silence.

JohnGC

Visit site
I had a look over Jimmy Cornell's Garcia Exploration 45 a couple of years ago. He specified and used her for the NW Passage and further north.
https://cornellsailing.com/aventura/about-aventura/

He likes these;
http://eclectic-energy.co.uk/

I think he had a DuoGen and was impressed with the power it generated in hydro mode. He showed some film of it in action and said that it never broke the surface, performed well and was reliable. They appear to be in the same price bracket as the fuel cell. A quick look at the tables gives 6A @ 5kn (hydro) or 15kn (wind) for a 12V system.

John.

ninjod

Visit site
I have had efoy 210 fuel cells on my last two boats and think they are a great bit of kit. In fact everyone that has seen my installations and consequently followed suit all now thinks the same. You install them, switch them on and forget about battery charging. The system has high and low watermark voltages and comes on and off as and when required to do so, it is entirely transparent and pretty much a silent operation. In my last installation the waste water was put into a bottle and I could easily measure the amount of fuel I was using.

It's also worth mentioning that the manufacturer are easy to deal with and make updating and managing the product a breeze.