• Bald at the front and the back?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full head of hair?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

David21

Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I apprciate many of you have participated in questionnaires during this campaign and may be getting tired of them, however I would really appreciate some help on this subject. I have been involved in boating all my life, mainly sailing but i have also participated in a lot of powerboating and absolutly love it! Therefore i can guarantee no prejudice.

I am also a student in my final year studying Maritime Leisure Management BA (Hons) in Southampton. Last september i proposed to focus my thesis on the current threat for the removal of the derogation on red diesel. Up until the last few weeks i have not made much progress on this study due to the density of other projects nevertheless if have been following this forum with great interest.

I understand that if the derogation is not retained then there would be a pool of effects on the industry. However i would like to focus my dissertation on one aspect, this being participation.

The attached questionnaire is only preliminary and i would welcome any suggestions as to how i can improve it. I apologise to any sailors that want to express their opinion however I am looking purely at powerboat participation in this section. May I also apologise to Petrol powerboaters.

I know there is a possibility that the questionnaire forces answers out of you however there were limitations in designing the questionnaire. For example the options i have listed.

The second question about whether the removal of the derogation will effect you may seem ambiguous however it is mainly just to see how sensitive the market is. I pressume that it will greatly effect everyone but this is just preliminary.

Thank you very much for your support.

David B

David21

Visit site
Thank you all all participants so far, the results are proving to be interesting!

However I think i need to adjust the part of the question where it says 'other', as i was unable to design the questionnaire to allow users to write answers (you probably can but its too advanced for me), if any of you tick the 'other' box could you possibly do a post with what the other option would be or email it to me.

Thank you very much

David B

ClassicPlastic

Visit site
Well David,

I'm really sorry, but with only fifteen responses so far, I would hardly say that the results could be 'interesting'

Well done for appearing to be a little more honest that 'Student', but nonetheless, your survey also lacks rigour.

Please, please, may I ask would-be-academics to think through and plan their work, to apply appropriate resources (surveymonkey perhaps?), and to make as few assumptions as possible (why should whether I have one or two engines affect the price of fish? I nearly bought a boat a whie ago with three - where would I be now!?).

As someone who makes his living in effective research and accurate investigation, I'll even offer a hand to those who might wish to pursue these lines of enquiry...

David21

Visit site
You are absolutly right, the survey does lack rigour. I think the best way around this would perhaps be the use of a focus group and a more qualitative approach with the source of questions coming from a projective technique.

I have taken your advise and checked out Survey Monkey and it has proven to be a good resource for the design process, thank you.

When I conduct the more In-depth interviews with the focus groups, I will not start with any assumptions.

What do you think the options are for Diesel powerboat owners if the derogation is removed?

Thank you for your profesional advice and I will certainly take you up the offer of lending a helping hand

David21

Visit site
Hi All......

After realising my survey lacked many qualities especially with the list of variables i have realised that there is need for a re-structure of my methodology. I have made new a list of the choices and i'm sure i have missed a number of other options

Therefore if anyone can add to this list i would be massivley grateful

Cheers

David

Do Nothing
Downsize Vessel
Move to alternative Petrol
Move to fuel other than petrol
Buy Fuel abroad
Move Vessel abroad
Reduce boating hours marginally (25 - 50%)
Reduce boating hours Greatly (70%)
Move to sail (includes motorsail and catamaran)
Sell boat completely and take up a new activity

ClassicPlastic

Visit site
David,

Well done so far.

However, I think you need to look at a MUCH bigger picture...

Try one of the investigator's great standby tools: some Ws and an H...

WHO will be affected?
HOW will they be affected?
WHERE and WHEN will they be affected?
WHAT will they do in response?

For example, if we get a whiff of the end of derogation, with some certainty about it, we may see a dramatic movement in used boat values, a drop in sales, an increase in repossessions, a proportion of boats being moved abroad for use or sale... Your 'downsize vessel' option begins to look a little shaky, if you take this into account...

Marinas will see customer numbers dwindling (there are already signs of this with some major marinas reporting 30-40% more unsold berths at this time than in previous years).

If the derogation is ended (and let's remember that HMG holds absolute authority over this), then the impacts will not be confined to the boat owner, or the way he uses his boat...

Serious cruising addicts might keep cruising, but downsize the car, or give up another pastime. Those who move their boats abroad will end up using more flights and long car drives to get there, so there wiill be a NEGATIVE impact on the environment (and a lowering of the relaxation value derived from the activity - something this government has been extremely good at doing - I must be careful not to get onto my soap box!).

Have we thought how we're going to get hold of taxed diesel? Many fuel stations will not be able to cope with bunkering two types of fuel. Might we see similar difficulties to those experienced by petrol-head motorboaters? If you burn a gallon a mile, there's no way that jerrycans hold the answer...

Hope this is of help, David.