Eberspachers

carter840

Visit site
Hi

This would seem a good place to ask a quetion about erberspachers! I've got the chance of a secondhand 24v heater. However I am a little concerned about "five strikes and you're out". This I believe needs an engineer to reset it, so what causes this and how expensive is it to cure? Is it advisable to buy secondhand, I will not be able to see it working and what should I look out for (what are all the parts that should be there)?

regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Do you have a 24v system on the boat? If not, then you will have a problem as there's no easy way to step up from 12v. I looked at this problem before buying a unit because generally the 24v units sell for much less.
Not all Eberspachers have controllers that need resetting after failures. I have an old one with a seperate processor, ie. not built into the body of the heater. It failed to ignite numerous times during installation due to fuel feed problems but was ok when I finally sorted out the airlock.
What you should get is the heater unit, processor, fuel pump, loom and switching which can vary from simple three way, through a rheostat to thermostat controlled timer. All depending on the model and age. This is the minimum to set up in the garage before installing.
In addition would will need an insulated exhaust, an exhaust skin fitting, fuel pipe including tee piece or tank-take-off, enough ducting for both air in and out and outlet vents for the cabin.
Most bits are available on eBay, but you can source some bits like exhaust and ducting from motor factors.
Good luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
The early ones (D1L etc) do not suffer from 5 strikes and call an engineer at £40/hour. The XXXC versions do have the lock out and should be avoided at all costs. The latest Eberspachers do not have the lock out although they will temporarily prevent you starting the heater under certain circumstances such as over heating.

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif

computertech

Visit site
the d1lc is the one most common and they fit them to BT vans, when the vans go to auction the dealers strip em out and flog em on ebay. the 24 volt oen is as you know a pain because of the prob with the voltage, also they come off wagons where they have been used to warm the cabs, consequently they have done lots of hours.
the 12v ex BT ones usually have done little hours and are good value but go between 3 qnd 4 hundred on ebay. i have found a source of stainless flexible exhaust hose and 60 mm aluminium flex hose for the hot air. they do have a 10 fails and your out doofer in them and then have to go back to a dealer to be reset. the bits are v expensive but they are reliable.
www.espar.com is the states dealer and you can download the tech manuals from them FOC.
i have just ordered 4 sets of stainless exhaust and ally tube plus i have 2 d1lcs in the garage.
have fitted one to my bene 2 years ago so know all the ins and outs of setting up and fitting.
feel free to pick my brains
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>