Eat your heart out, Besenzoni

MapisM

Visit site
In the cockpit of my boat, I had a rather popular control panel for her Besenzoni passerelle.
It was still working well when I bought her, which means that it lasted 13 years in a somewhat exposed position.
So, I didn't complain too much, when it started not sensing anymore a couple of buttons.

Anyway, what might be interesting also for others is that the panel simply controls four clean contacts, all normally open, with a common wire.
So, in principle it can be replaced with any buttons of your choice, even if the like for like replacement part is still available, for those who want to keep it simple. Otoh, "keep it simple" is not the forum way, is it...? :rolleyes:

Long story short, below is a pic of the OEM panel, together with its contacts.
On the right side, you can see the brand new panel which BartW very kindly built for me, with s/steel buttons, rated for external usage and LED lightened.
Makes the OEM Besenzoni panel look like a toy in comparison, many thanks again B! :encouragement:
nLWYpJyB_o.jpg

Mr Googler

Visit site
Looks awesome.

Bart has however kindly left space for 2 more buttons:

Auto extend and auto retract.

Vas knocks up a magic black box.....some sensors at the end of the passerelle....deploys to the right height and distance to the dock automatically.

That’s a forum project.

MapisM

Visit site
I thought you ripped out all your teak decking
Well, almost.
I don't mind teak in the cockpit, which lasts much longer than in any exposed parts (what you see in the pic is still the original one of 2004, only recaulked).
Besides, being mostly shadowed, it's pleasant when walking on it barefoot, as opposed to the rest of the deck, which under Med sunshine is akin to walking on a barbecue... :ambivalence:

MapisM

Visit site
P, where's your "Approved" stamp? I think you need to award it to yourself and Bart.
You ain't seen nothing yet.
The similar panels that he did for BA are even better than this one.
He can in fact control not only the passerelle, but also all external lights.
I don't think there are any Canados around with better cockpit buttons...!

MapisM

Visit site
You can also connect an after market 4 channel radio remote control to those wires to do away with the Besenzoni infrared remote.
Indeed, good point.
Not so interesting for me ATM, since the IR remote+receiver still works well, but might be worth considering for anyone interested to replace it.

AndieMac

Visit site
.......I don't think there are any Canados around with better cockpit buttons...!

Or any better similar aged Canados around...period :)

Yep, the control panel is a fine piece of quality work, looks right at home on your boat.

I noticed he didn’t give you blue LED light rims.....I think he has patented that colour ;)

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Hang on a minute when you finished lording Timex and seiko take a look at a Patek Philipe range of watch’s :)so to speak .
Yes the Besenzoni control panel is naff as it the Opacmare compared to this OEM .........

Pin-craft are a Viareggio based Co .They do a fantastic range of gear inc there control panel .
I have not seen a better quality one yet , OEM or DIY .
There’s curved and bevelled SS and Carbon look too for the weather proof touch pad .
8 buttons the other four are hi low and balcony if you happen to have those as well .

1BA3D6C5-F370-4A71-BE30-E5529B6951E9.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Urgh. A thing with 50% redundant buttons, mounted on a bit of randomly coloured squareness-clashed-with-curves board, with uneven margins and 4 annoying screws showing? You surely have the PP vs Timex analogy the wrong way round.

It doesn't win top marks for beauty but I'd spec this every time for clarity and absence of redundant buttons:
Panel%207%20button%206BM99029.jpg

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
Hang on a minute when you finished lording Timex and seiko take a look at a Patek Philipe range of watch’s :)so to speak .
Yes the Besenzoni control panel is naff as it the Opacmare compared to this OEM .........

Pin-craft are a Viareggio based Co .They do a fantastic range of gear inc there control panel .
I have not seen a better quality one yet , OEM or DIY .
There’s curved and bevelled SS and Carbon look too for the weather proof touch pad .
8 buttons the other four are hi low and balcony if you happen to have those as well .

View attachment 79240

I prefer Barts panel TBH. Barts remind me of the panel on a Southerly 57RS on the side of the helm pedestals for controlling the keel and sails. Brushed stainless over chrome plated any day for me.:encouragement::cool:

MapisM

Visit site
A small tribute to Carlo Riva

I'd spec this every time for clarity and absence of redundant buttons
J, I have nothing against the OEM panel - btw, in the meantime they dismissed the blue one in my previous pics and replaced it with the one below, which is more similar to yours and arguably more elegant than the blue one, if you don't mind the pretentious label (I do, TBH! :ambivalence:).
nuovo_4_frecce.2.png

But from a functional viewpoint, lighting aside, the feeling and feedback of "real" buttons is much better.
Besides, I can now press the right buttons without even looking at the panel, for obvious reasons.
This is a better pic, for the records - showing also my small tribute to Carlo Riva, which someone will surely recognize. :cool:
XuCNeeW2_o.jpg

Anyway, since you mentioned that you'd spec Besenzoni stuff again, knowing that you are likely to REALLY spec some other fine vessels in the future, in your boots I wouldn't dismiss other IT builders of passerelles/cranes/accessories.
In fact, control panels aside, for which I agree that the one PF posted is nothing to write home about, his placement of Besenzoni/Opacmare in the Timex/Seiko league does makes some sense.
I mean, yes, it's true that both companies (traditionally structured for quantity over quality) aimed also at the big boats market lately, but imho neither have what it takes to cut the mustard, when it comes to high quality custom products.

On top of Pin-Craft which PF mentioned, also Bitecnomare and Mor Saverio are worth considering, if you have a choice of replacing whatever your yard of choice offers as standard (which is very likely to be either Bes or OM).
Just one word of warning: do NOT go see their factories, because saying that you wouldn't be impressed is an understatement.
Otoh, their products are indeed outstanding, and you can easily see why you find them on many BIG boats.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Re: A small tribute to Carlo Riva

The pic of the pin- craft does not do it justice , the SS finish etc .It looks good with the other SS around in my boat compliments it as opposed to brushed Al .
The four redundant buttons are just that redundant buts it’s a 5 min job to re wire one in to rake over from the four pass buttons if there’s a problem .
Also you actually need two fingers to operate , that may or may not be a safety issue ?
The single illuminated rhs and any other simultaneously.
I like that feature and the fact with it being illuminated you know the main breaker is on in the saloon .

Again it’s a long distance image , I’ll ( if I remember ? ) try to get a close up next week when we are on the boat .